RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Help with digital hour meter (in dash) for generator

I just bought my first motorhome, a 1995 Fleetwood American Dream.

I've been tinkering around with all the odds and ends that need done and the one that is making me absolutely crazy is that the digital hour meter doesn't work. It is in the dash as part of the additional cluster to the left. The wire to it is producing about 1 volt with the generator running.... and I have no idea where it runs to (I've tried my best but it is just a generic black wire after the first 6 inches or so). Can I just add a standalone guage? If so, how do I know how many hours are on the existing meter? Is there a place to attach it to the generator? I am clueless on this one. The generator, itself, isn't the easiest to get to.... tucked up in the front and the lower front panel isn't easily removable.

Thanks for any help.... and this is my first post so let me say "hi" to everyone!
OhioPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #2

Power comes directly from the generator thru a ‘remote’ connector. You should have 12v
Old 08-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Power comes directly from the generator thru a ‘remote’ connector. You should have 12v
It's an Onan 8000. Where should I expect to find the connection point on the generator?
Old 08-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #4

I put an hour meter on a used John Deere I bought this spring. On these universal types there is a wire that wraps around a spark plug wire. Look there first. As a last reaort less than 20 dollars gets you a new one.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #5

There will be a connector with possibly 5 wires leaving the generator. Without a schematic it’s hard to say. My diagram was in the installation manual
Old 08-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
There will be a connector with possibly 5 wires leaving the generator. Without a schematic it’s hard to say. My diagram was in the installation manual
I was able to trace the wire all the way to under the entry steps. However, it is under the circuit breaker box, etc, and there is no access to see where that goes. Nonetheless, I can probably just tie in at the instrument end. Currently there is a digital quartz display in the dash for this but it is not showing anything.... so I assume it died. I was hoping there would be a backup meter with the control center (I don't see one) so that I could keep accurate hours and I'm afraid that removing/swapping the existing quartz one will erase all the history. I would really love to know how many hours are on the generator and keep an accurate running total.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I put an hour meter on a used John Deere I bought this spring. On these universal types there is a wire that wraps around a spark plug wire. Look there first. As a last reaort less than 20 dollars gets you a new one.
This is diesel so there is no spark plug but obviously there is some way to do it.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #8

Sounds like the wire is broke somewhere. Your best bet may be running a new wire.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #9

Update for when anyone else comes here looking for the same info....

So, the wire from the dash reader runs to a compartment under the entry steps. In there is also the main start switch, breakers, a cutoff switch, etc.

I assume if i just replace the meter, it will work from the existing wire.... but I won't have the true hours.

Tags
dash, generator