Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Help with my current crisis please

I am trying to get my 2014 AC Revolution back to service. Let me start by saying that this RV has had a problematic life from the outset. That's kind of how it came to be in my care. It broke the will of the owner and it has basically broken mine as well. I just don't have an escape. Anyways, on we go.

In order to get on the road, I have two problems of significance (I've got a boatload more but they aren't show stoppers). First is a Check Engine Light (CEL) related to the DEF system. The second, a new one, involves the HWH jacks.

The CEL problem is an SPN 3031 FMI 2 which, according to the experts at Freightliner and Cummins, relates back to the DEF Heater reporting to the computer incorrectly. My big issue with this one is that I'm not particularly interested in a derate while trying to get to a repair facility. The nearest of repute to me is about 80 miles. I drove it this morning about 140 round trip to get some fresh fuel so the miles are racking up. I guess what I'm asking about with this problem specifically is whether anyone else has had it and did anyone ever derate?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV CEL 3031.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	327805

The second problem is my controller for the jacks. So, I went out this morning to get ready to go on my fuel run. I cranked up and raised the jacks. The controller started doing all sorts of weird stuff. At first, I thought that it put the jacks back down but no it only indicated that. Eventually, I checked over everything and took off. The jack controller lit up like a christmas tree. All the lights were flashing. It scared me enough to check again. The jacks were tucked up happily. I went on my trip and got back and prepared to shut down. I pushed the button to level the coach on the jacks. The controller paused a bit then said 'OK the jacks are down' but they are not down. I worked through it a bit hitting buttons and cycling but I made no headway. Right now, I have no control of the hydraulic jacks. That's not good for camping, especially if you've ever seen the inside of this monster with the slides in.

Regarding the controller, I should mention that awhile back I did have a leak at the clearance lights that could've very easily allowed some moisture to get behind that control panel. It was fixed a while ago but I mention it in case it helps with 'guess-timation' of a cause. Does anyone have any insight to offer regarding this controller? Is there some sort of reset and return to function that I'm not aware of. I want to include a picture of the controller but you have to imagine it flashing on and off about once per second to get full effect. I didn't want to attach a video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Jack Controller.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	327804

I'm not expecting anyone here can miraculously make my RV all better but I'm hoping to get some insight on derate risk. I'd also like to feel safe that the jacks aren't going to decide to level me up while I'm going 65 mph down I-75. This post is a bit lengthy so I apologize for that. I think that it might be serving as some sort of therapy versus what could be accomplished with a stout piece of wood or some vulgar language (still an infantryman at heart).

Thanks to all.....
skyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

Try searching YouTube for resetting levelers.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #3

Mine did the same thing and I have the same control panel. It was flashing all the lights and the buzzer when I released the air brake and put it in gear. Turns out it was the low fluid sensor. I added about two ounces of ATF and problem fixed
Old 05-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt472 View Post
Mine did the same thing and I have the same control panel. It was flashing all the lights and the buzzer when I released the air brake and put it in gear. Turns out it was the low fluid sensor. I added about two ounces of ATF and problem fixed
This^^ as your first step.

Low fluid means the sensor in the reservoir still thinks one or more jacks are extended. If your jacks have springs attached to the rams, they retract and are held in place by spring action. If the controller is OFF, you should have no concern the jacks will fully extend by themselves.

If adding fluid does’t fix this, you might try contacting AZpete on this forum. He works for HWH and can certainly answer all your questions about your system.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:16 AM   #5

I didnít know that HWH built Power Gear leveling systems.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:20 AM   #6

Way out of my league, but possibly a voltage/ground issue on the HWH system???
Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:47 AM   #7

Sorry, too much sun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
I didnít know that HWH built Power Gear leveling systems.
It isn't an HWH system, it is a Power Gear system. That was my mistake from spending too much time in the sun trying to figure this out. I know a lot of people are still progressing through the cool of spring but in south Florida it has been mid to high 80's this past week or so and in the direct sun it is 'warm'.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:54 AM   #8

I started my troubleshooting with topping off the fluid. That didn't fix things but it may have changed them. I went from all the lights on the control panel flashing to just some lights lit and the system reporting jacks down. I called Lippert service about three times yesterday and went through everything we could test and check. This included voltage getting to the solenoid, function of the solenoid, voltage exiting the solenoid to the motor, manual rotation of the motor with a cordless drill, and a function test of the control panel. It seems that after determining that the proper voltage is arriving at the motor when it is triggered through the solenoid by the control panel, the motor is faulty. I'm now figuring out the part number which requires the input of REV so that Lippert can send me a replacement. Alternatively, I'm still considering pulling the motor and taking it to a starter/alternator rebuild and seeing if they can revive it.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:48 PM   #9

Hope you have had some luck with getting your jack motor replaced. Mine was seized onto the pump and I ended up having to purchase the whole assembly from Lippert $$$.

On the def heater code, I had FM1 code last year and ended up disconnecting my def harness, replacing def filter, and removing the def tank so I could look at heater/pump. Everything OHM'd out fine so i reassembled, filled tank with fresh def and have been running for almost a year now. Code went away after three cycles or something to that effect. I'm not sure if/when it would have derated if code remained.

Hope everything gets working ok for you
Old 06-01-2021, 04:01 AM   #10

Update

I wanted to update my post to let everyone interested know how things are progressing.

First, the CEL and DEF issue: I just ended up at the local shop to have the DEF pump and heater replaced. That set me back a few bucks but the CEL is gone and I'm not living in fear of the dreaded 'derate'. Before pursuing a repair of the DEF system again, I will seriously contemplate no longer maintaining a functioning system if you get my drift.

Second is the jack issue: I tried to solve this the easy (and expensive) way. I called REV and ordered a whole unit which is the motor, the plate, the pump, and the reservoir. Pricey but easy and fast is what I thought. REV sent me a unit with a different plate and I couldn't use it. I sent it back. I got a new motor from Amazon. I'm taking it to a machine shop today to get it all re-assembled. It isn't hard per se but I can't get the bearing out of the plate and after eight years it is ready for exchange. The first motor I replaced, I cheated and left the old bearing in place.

As a side note, when I deconstructed the assembly, I found a missing o-ring between the plate and the manifold. I now suspect this to be why my reservoir has spent its life to this point covered in a layer of transmission fluid mixed with dirt. I replaced the gasket and will remain optimistic until proven wrong.

Anyway, that is where everything stands. Thank you to all who have provided wisdom and experience to this point...