Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
HERE IS A ''HARD ONE''.....about solar panels

I have a 2000 33v Pace Arrow Ford V 10 chassis and 2 slides.
I bought a solar panel to go on top that they said was big enough to charge my house batteries. Here is the problem. Exactly where do I hook it up on the ''black box'' so the ''charge '' goes to the house batteries. the panel is about a foot wide and three feet long. its mounted on top of the coach.
If you can help me with this I will be glad to pay you the usual ten cents for good advise, a nickel for fairly good ideas and nothin for dumb looks and drooling.....
Seajay the sailor man...
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE AND SOON
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS NATION
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Solar Panel

Since the panel is on the roof just bring the two leads down through the Refridgerator vent. That puts the leads in the back of the Refreg. now you can go into the cabinets or under the motorhome. I don't know what kind of regulator came with the unit if it is one that you want to see you can mount it next to the door under the sink. If it is just a black box one then you can mount in the battery box. Then just connect the Pos. and Neg. straight to your batterys under the step.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #3

I can't tell you how to hook it up, but I can tell you that there is no solar panel that is only 1' X 3' that will keep your house batteries charged unless you are not in it! If that's the case then it could charge your house, your chassis and generator batteries since it's just going to be sitting there.
What was your expectation for this tiny panel?
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I should have explained further.
I put the solar panel on last year when we went out to Washington state. We were going on a two week cruise to Alaska and we made arrangements to ''store'' our motor home at a campground while we were gone. The idea was that the solar panel would give us enought charge on the house batteries to keep the refrigeratior running for those two weeks while we were away.
The short story is that when we got to the campground and asked about ''storing the coach'' while we were on the cruise, the nice folks at the campground said to just ''pull the coach over to the stowage area and plug it into the 110 volt outlet'' Seems they do this all the time. They even volunteered to baby sit our dogs for us. We had made previous arrangements to put them in a kennel. I wish I could remember the name of the camp ground and when I think of it I will post it because the folks are so nice.
I hooked the solar panel up directly to the house batteries for that application and we didnt even need the solar panel...
Anyhow,,,,,, the solar panel is mounted about over the drivers seat and my house batteries are beside the ''drivers door'' in a compartment.

Keep the info coming on this because I are snarter than a door knob about some things and I will pay the proverbial ten cents for good answers, the nickel for good ideas and nothin for drooling .......
Seajay the sailor man
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SOON AND SAFE
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION ....
Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I can't tell you how to hook it up, but I can tell you that there is no solar panel that is only 1' X 3' that will keep your house batteries charged unless you are not in it! If that's the case then it could charge your house, your chassis and generator batteries since it's just going to be sitting there.
What was your expectation for this tiny panel?

As Bill says, even if you are just running the refrigerator, that single panel will not keep your batteries charged.

Dave
Old 03-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
I should have explained further.
I put the solar panel on last year when we went out to Washington state. We were going on a two week cruise to Alaska and we made arrangements to ''store'' our motor home at a campground while we were gone. The idea was that the solar panel would give us enought charge on the house batteries to keep the refrigeratior running for those two weeks while we were away.
The short story is that when we got to the campground and asked about ''storing the coach'' while we were on the cruise, the nice folks at the campground said to just ''pull the coach over to the stowage area and plug it into the 110 volt outlet'' Seems they do this all the time. They even volunteered to baby sit our dogs for us. We had made previous arrangements to put them in a kennel. I wish I could remember the name of the camp ground and when I think of it I will post it because the folks are so nice.
I hooked the solar panel up directly to the house batteries for that application and we didnt even need the solar panel...
Anyhow,,,,,, the solar panel is mounted about over the drivers seat and my house batteries are beside the ''drivers door'' in a compartment.

Keep the info coming on this because I are snarter than a door knob about some things and I will pay the proverbial ten cents for good answers, the nickel for good ideas and nothin for drooling .......
Seajay the sailor man
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SOON AND SAFE
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION ....
That sounds like Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothel, WA. We stayed there before and after 2 different AK cruises. We boarded our cats at a Vet about 1 mile away who was excellent and took very good care of them. Nice facilities and all of their "guests" get to spent a portion of each day in a large room watching videos and who knows what else! Nice park, great location just outside of Seattle and convenient for touring.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have two Papions (sp) and we left them at a kennel up the road from the campground. It was ran by a police officer that trained the police dogs. He had collage kids working for him and they loved Finnie and Gus. The lady said our dogs were seldom in the cage as the attendants fell in love with them and had them out most of the time. They have a very large ''free run'' area and a will sheltered cage area with runs in it also. When we went back to pick them up they brought our dogs to a large office and sat them down and they both would go to the handler and then come to us and then back to the handler. They would climb up in her lap and lick her face and then back to us and do the same. The girl said she would be glad to buy either of both of them if we would sell them ... She said they both slept in one cage and they gave us a ''special rate'' (two for one) for the fourteen days they had our puppies.
One of the greatest feelings in the world is the love your pets show you after a long stay away from them. Anyhow. Im getting off subject.
Seajay the sailor man ....