Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2021, 03:55 AM   #1

Here's a good one for you....240 Volts!

I had an electrician friend come over and wire up a plug for the RV, so I could plug it in. He knows nothing about RV's. I wasn't thinking about electricity. He wired my new plug into my dryer circuit which is 240 volts. I was happy to have a plug outside for the RV. Neither of us thought about the voltage. We were just thinking about the 30 amp plug in. Plugged it in and nothing happened. Was plugged in for about 10 min. Unplugged and came in to computer and did some research. That's when I realized what had happened. I don't know what damage was done but from what I have read, the converter is most likely dead. I'm going to check it this weekend and see where I'm at. Do I feel like an idiot .
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2021, 04:20 AM   #2

No you shouldn't, but the electrician should.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:40 AM   #3
YC1

If you do a search this is one of the most common mistakes made besides dropping wires while installing new wires or connecting them incorrectly.

Sadly, you are not alone. If you are lucky fuses may have protected some things.

Don't panic yet. Just take it one step at a time. Your electrician friend is not the first "expert" to make this mistake.

Sometimes I just forgot to plug things in and I am an Electronic Technician. Sheesh. It happens. You both are paying for your learning. He must be quite embarrassed.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a pretty common problem with electricians that do not know about RV wiring. You need to get a Progressive IND EMS for your power inlet to the RV. They are really cheap insurance for avoiding costly mistakes.

But your friend should accept some responsibility for the wiring mess up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ugh... at this point it's done. Get the power right and start troubleshooting through the RV.

And buy an EMS...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #6

Your biggest mistake........."Electrician Friend"!
Next Mistake........"He knows nothing about RVs"

I could go on, but you get the point hopefully. There are lots and lots of folks out there that do Electrical work, that call themselves "Electricians" and don't have much more than a clue...at best...about Electrical. Unfortunately, you found one to put in the RV plug....sorry that happened and I hope you learned from it.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Ugh... at this point it's done. Get the power right and start troubleshooting through the RV.

And buy an EMS...
My sentiments, exactly^^.

I applaud you for your "confession" on a public forum, many would not do that. You have provided a clear warning to others who are thinking about adding an outlet but lack the knowledge of "electricity."

Please update us when you get the properly wired outlet installed and start to troubleshoot any damages to your RV.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
This same thing happened to a neighbors fifth wheel. "Professional residential electrician" did the install. It wasn't pretty, sorry to say.
It let the smoke out of nearly everything.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
This same thing happened to a neighbors fifth wheel. "Professional residential electrician" did the install. It wasn't pretty, sorry to say.
Gotta remember that last line.o pcorn:
Old 09-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #10

I would not think anything was harmed as it is only 240 volts between the two 120 volt legs. These would just feed into each side of your breaker panel and nothing will work because there in no neutral wire for either leg which is just 120 volts. Any power coming thru a breaker on either leg to a device must have a neutral line to complete the circuit. All your breakers should be 120 volts just drawing power from one of the two 120 volt legs. A 240 volt circuit draws power thru a double breaker from each 120 volt leg, no neutral required.
I hope this explains the situation.

After thought, did he connect one of the 120 volt legs as a neutral?
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
I would not think anything was harmed as it is only 240 volts between the two 120 volt legs. These would just feed into each side of your breaker panel and nothing will work because there in no neutral wire for either leg which is just 120 volts. Any power coming thru a breaker on either leg to a device must have a neutral line to complete the circuit. All your breakers should be 120 volts just drawing power from one of the two 120 volt legs. A 240 volt circuit draws power thru a double breaker from each 120 volt leg, no neutral required.

If he wired a TT30 receptacle as 240 its toast.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post

Maybe you didn't catch the part about it being a 30A receptacle....which is strictly 120VAC......not like a NEMA 14-50 receptacle that has two hots (180 degrees out of phase with each other), a neutral, and a ground. I'd be willing to bet there's some stuff that is cooked all the way to slightly overdone.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #13

YUP, two hots (i.e.240 VAC) to anything designed for ONE hot and a neutral (i.e.120 VAC)-- you will have "let the smoke out".
Old 09-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Yep, and getting that majik electrical smoke back in? Nope.

Most of this is a case of the installer (note I didn't say "electrician") hearing "30 amps" and installing a 120/240V circuit (like for the a clothes dryer).

Compounding some confusion is that until about 30 years ago, no neutral was required for 240V appliances with small 120V loads (lights and controls) and the neutral was "faked" via the equipment grounding conductor. No longer per Code but there are plenty of us who wired up dryers that way in 1988... so for someone whose thinking stopped after hearing "30 amps", having this happen is not far-fetched at all.