Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
Hiss from either water line or water heater

Not sure this is the correct forum for this post, but thought since it is a class c Fleetwood, that it's the closest I can think of.

I have a Fleetwood Jamboree Class C 29z mh hooked up to city water, running the pump or the water heater running. I hear a hiss sound coming from under the dinette seat where the water heater and part of the water lines are. There is a very very small amount of water around the water line and water heater. I would say less then a teaspoon of water. My problem is I can not locate the leak anywhere. I can't see where it is coming from, but the sound, sounds like it is coming from either the lower part of the water heater or the water line running right next to the water heater. It happens when there is some form of pressure on the lines. I have ruled out the propane line and the propane fixtures/heater on the water heater as the source of the hissing. So my question is, what are your suggestions for narrowing down the location of or locating the leak, so I know what needs to be fixed or replaced. Very limited space to work, as well as electronics (converter, wiring harness, fuse and breaker panel, as well as the mh heater) being down under the dinette seat.

Thanks in advance,
Vick/Daniel
hwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to hwyd Send a message via Yahoo to hwyd Send a message via Skype™ to hwyd
My thoughts are that it is possibly a pin hole leak in either the water heater or water line. But with the limited space, where I suspect it to be, I can't see or feel where it might be. Hence the ask for help, suggestions and thoughts.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #3

check relief valve
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
check relief valve
One of the first things I did when I noticed this going on. If outside, you hear the sound, but it is quiet and muffled, where as inside, you can hear quiet but clearly, with that and the little bit of water on the ground, is what lead me to believe it is somewhere on the inside.

Thank you RVHauler.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I find it hard to believe that any leak loud enough to hear as an audible hiss is only leaking a teaspoon of water. Got to be more going somewhere else. The teaspoon of water you see may be water that is running along a tube and dripping off at a low spot, meaning the leak itself is further away from where you see the water. Run your fingers over the tubes to see which is wet on the bottom and try to trace the wetness toward its source. Also look in nearby locations for water as well as outside.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
The only other place I found water built up was in the shore-line compartment. But I couldn't locate where it may be coming from on the walls of the compartment. At first I was thinking it was rain and the drain hole plugged. Fixed the drain hole, so no water/rain built up in there now. But now that leaves me to wonder weather that is rain or water leaking into that compartment. Think instead of me trying to continue to rack my brain, that I am going to go ahead and take the mh into my friend's shop. Thank you so much for the help and suggestions.

Vick/Daniel
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hwyd,
Water leaks can be difficult to find because the evidence may be a distance away form the source. Water leaks are a must to fix since it will rot the floor, be a source of mold and mildew and odor if not. If space is tight looking for the leak, you can imagine what it will be like when you have to make repairs. You may have to remove the water heater but there's just no easy way. If you get close to the leak and can determine if the water is hot or cold, it's and indication it's either on the inlet or outlet of the water heater.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's dumb of me, I didn't even think to note the temperature of the water. I will do that after dinner. I also have a time setup tomorrow to take the rv in to my rv tech friend to have him look and hopefully repair if I am not able to, or at least show me how so I can get it done. I have been keeping the city water, water pump and water heater off unless needed till fixed.

Can't believe that I didn't even think to note the temperature. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
An earlier response mentioned the PTR (Pressure Temperature Relief) valve, which directed my little mind to the water gap. This is the air space that is needed in the hw tank for expansion. It's generally created by shutting all water sources down, opening a HW faucet in the rig, then opening the PTR valve, followed by getting wet. When the flow stops, close the faucet and the PTR valve, & turn on the water. If you don't have the gap, as the water heats up, it will force the PTR valve open and squirt water - and make noise - a hissing noise typically.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
An earlier response mentioned the PTR (Pressure Temperature Relief) valve, which directed my little mind to the water gap. This is the air space that is needed in the hw tank for expansion. It's generally created by shutting all water sources down, opening a HW faucet in the rig, then opening the PTR valve, followed by getting wet. When the flow stops, close the faucet and the PTR valve, & turn on the water. If you don't have the gap, as the water heats up, it will force the PTR valve open and squirt water - and make noise - a hissing noise typically.
That's a good idea for me to check that today, since my tech had to cancel due to family matters. That also brings another thought to mind. On those styrofome insulated water heaters... Are they prone to sweat? That might explain the little amount of water.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, checked for the gap and there is a gap... Thought that I had did that last time I cleaned in that area... Will take a closer look during day light to see if I see something new. Flashlight just wasn't cutting it.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyd
OK, checked for the gap and there is a gap... Thought that I had did that last time I cleaned in that area... Will take a closer look during day light to see if I see something new. Flashlight just wasn't cutting it.
Just an update. The water heater is leaking. Found the leak around the burner tube on the left. Will be replacing the water heater when I get my financial aide from school in January. DIY project. Forgot to post this when I found out, so I figured better late then never.