Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #1

We are looking at FW diesels and they all had 10K towing weights, saw on another forum that FW diesel MH owners are recieving new stickers for the hitchs that is reducing the weight to 5k, anyone hear or recieve this info?

05 Kountry Star 3910
Nick and Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #2

We are looking at FW diesels and they all had 10K towing weights, saw on another forum that FW diesel MH owners are recieving new stickers for the hitchs that is reducing the weight to 5k, anyone hear or recieve this info?

05 Kountry Star 3910
Old 08-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
We received the new sticker last week. The sticker on the receiver hitch is wrong. The towing weight for towing a dinghy is 10,000 lbs. with the class IV or class V hitch. The stickers are reduction in towing weights for trailers. With a weight distributing hitch Max Gross Trailer Weight is 10,000 lbs, Max tongue weight is 1,000 lbs. Weight Carrying Ball Mount is 5,000 lbs with 500 lbs tongue weight. Dinghy towing is 10,000 lbs tongue weight does not apply.
Jerry
Old 08-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #4

There are not many TOADs that weigh 5K much less 10k, so what do you need to do to tow 10K? Do the other diesel manuf have the same issues with the towing weight? Could I upgrade my hitch to Class IV or V to tow 10k?

05 Kountry Star 3910
Old 08-11-2005, 08:43 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nick, the only problem was that the wrong stickers got put on the hitch. The stickers that they are sending out are the correct ones.
The 5,000 lbs. you are referring to are for ball mounted towing. Our Bounder came with the Class IV/V hitch. It is rated at 10,000 lbs.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:28 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdoc:
We received the new sticker last week. The sticker on the receiver hitch is wrong. The towing weight for towing a dinghy is 10,000 lbs. with the class IV or class V hitch. The stickers are reduction in towing weights for trailers. With a weight distributing hitch Max Gross Trailer Weight is 10,000 lbs, Max tongue weight is 1,000 lbs. Weight Carrying Ball Mount is 5,000 lbs with 500 lbs tongue weight.
Dinghy towing is 10,000 lbs tongue weight does not apply.
Jerry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerry, I bought this rig to be able to tow a larger toad, (6500 lbs). I flat tow. Are you saying that the rating that would apply in this situation would be 10,000 lbs? I'm a little confused.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pat, yes you can tow that much according to the sticker, but why would you want to? Your fuel mileage is going to go down the tubes. Two years ago on our way to Tennessee we saw a TropiCal gasser towing a Dodge Dually. I can't even imagine what his gas mileage was.
Jerry
Old 08-18-2005, 02:47 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Oh, I agree 100%. I still plan on towing the Jeep. Occasionally when we travel our Daughter and Grandaughtersgo with us and the Jeep is to small. When I run to Nashville I don't even take a car, we use one of my Daughters when we get there. When I bought this baby last February gas, (diesel) wasn't an issue.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You're welcome Pat.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #10

Just to let any of you know what this is doing. I specifically bought a diesel (Fleetwood Discovery) because I had to tow a heavier boat (7000lbs). I never would have spent the money on a pusher if I didn't need the extra tow capacity. I personally am livid about this. Boats with surge brake systems cannot have load leveling bars. It inhibits the braking capacity.

And let me warn all of you. If you have an accident, and you are towing more than the hitch will allow. Your insurance company will not pay. So be careful. My friend and I have filed a class action suit against Fleetwood and we are rying to make them fix this problem. The suit has been filed for about thirty days now and I will start a forum for you all to get the info. when I have some.

I don't know about you, but I was told by salesman and Fleetwood "No problem you can tow your 7000 lb boat as long as you do it with a diesel". I was deceived and I won't stand for it.

The fix is easy. Put a $500.00 hitch on it like it was suppossed to have originally. Sadly, Fleetwood will not fix the problem without a fight. I hope they realize most people buy new motorhomes every few years.

What does everyone think?????
satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 AM   #11

I agree 100%, I wanted to tow something larger than my Jeep. I think your complaint is valid.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #12

I hope that Fleetwood is looking at this site. I love their rigs and I am going to stick with this for now hoping that this is just a little speed bump. I just wish that instead of sending out new stickers (after we bought on the premise of 10,000lbs), they should have recalled and fixed.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #13

I don't know as I'd want to be towing 7,000 lbs and relying on surge brakes. I didn't like or trust them on a 2,000 lb popup.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #14

I have owned three boats now and never had a problem. Besides you can't sink electric brakes in water to launch the boat. That's why boats have surge systems. I often got to lake havasu and let me tell you that 7000lbs is light now a days. Thanks though Steve I appreciate the input.