RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hood falls Off??

Have 2004 Pace Arrow 37C and earlier this year the hood latch failed, but just used the lock instead. Last week went to open hood and one side just let go
Upon removing it the tiny screws had rusted and broke, but discovered the
brackets of the entire piece are just epoxied to the fiberglass piece. Anyone else had this issue??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3881.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	305828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3883.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	305829  

Neicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicy View Post
Have 2004 Pace Arrow 37C and earlier this year the hood latch failed, but just used the lock instead. Last week went to open hood and one side just let go
Upon removing it the tiny screws had rusted and broke, but discovered the
brackets of the entire piece are just epoxied to the fiberglass piece. Anyone else had this issue??
We were a Fleetwood dealer. This is quite common. It also happened on my personal 1998 pace arrow. I believe it is caused by dust and sawdust at the plant. (The epoxy sticks to the dust and not the part) Buy the best and strongest epoxy you can find. Clean both surfaces well. Use a lot of epoxy and overlap the parts. I did mine ten years ago and it is still holding.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pace Arrow Hood

Any suggestions to best name brand epoxy? Assuming a 2 part epoxy.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
West Marine...G Flex
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hood Falls Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We were a Fleetwood dealer. This is quite common. It also happened on my personal 1998 pace arrow. I believe it is caused by dust and sawdust at the plant. (The epoxy sticks to the dust and not the part) Buy the best and strongest epoxy you can find. Clean both surfaces well. Use a lot of epoxy and overlap the parts. I did mine ten years ago and it is still holding.
So regarding this the bracket came off of the epoxy. Epoxy still attached to fiberglass. I fear if I remove the epoxy I want be able to align the bracket in the exact place or at the exact angle to screw back on the frame of RV??
Any suggestions ?

Thanks for help
Old 10-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hood Falls Off?

Forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3864.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	305991  
Old 10-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So regarding this the bracket came off of the epoxy. Epoxy still attached to fiberglass. I fear if I remove the epoxy I want be able to align the bracket in the exact place or at the exact angle to screw back on the frame of RV??
Any suggestions ?

Thanks for help
Take a cutting wheel and cut the edges off the old epoxy. Put the hinges into the old epoxy and cover the edges completely with the new epoxy. I would rough up the old hinge with coarse to help it stick.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks ga traveler
Fingers crossed!!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #9

An important thing to do is drill some holes in the metal brackets so the epoxy can ooze out through the holes and mushroom out, so the epoxy doesn't just have to "'stick" to the brackets.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
An important thing to do is drill some holes in the metal brackets so the epoxy can ooze out through the holes and mushroom out, so the epoxy doesn't just have to "'stick" to the brackets.
Alana. If you check the picture carefully, you will see there are already ten holes in the hinge. That is why I suggested bringing the epoxy around the brackets and folding over the ends.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #11

Drill them out, make them bigger, they look pretty small. Also grind the back surface with a coarse wheel making a rough surface for the epoxy to better attach to.
Some epoxy over the edges will help too.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hood Fell Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
So I have all clean and epoxy is set and ready for install.

Question: It will be quite a bit easier to re-install the hood piece if I can remove one of the windshield wipers that needs adjusting anyway as it rubs the bottom windshield gasket and a bit of the windshield itself. In working with Fleetwood, would you have any info as to how to remove the wiper??

Or has anyone had to remove a wiper on a 2004 Pace Arrow 37C,
Thanks, Neicy
Old 11-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So I have all clean and epoxy is set and ready for install.

Question: It will be quite a bit easier to re-install the hood piece if I can remove one of the windshield wipers that needs adjusting anyway as it rubs the bottom windshield gasket and a bit of the windshield itself. In working with Fleetwood, would you have any info as to how to remove the wiper??

Or has anyone had to remove a wiper on a 2004 Pace Arrow 37C,
Thanks, Neicy
It is easy to remove the wiper. At the base of the wiper arm is a plastic cover. Pop it off. There will be nut holding the wiper arm on. Remove the nut. Take a screw driver and pop the arm off. There will be a serrated, cone shaped adapter. It may stay in the arm or it might stay on the shaft. If it stays in the wiper arm, you will need to drive it out of the arm. When you reinstall the arm, you adjust the arm on the shaft so that it is in the correct park position.
When you epoxy the brackets back on, it would be a good idea to purchase some fiberglass cloth and and use that to overlap the brackets about a inch and a half. Mix up some epoxy. Put it on the bracket. Install the bracket. Mix another batch and cover the bracket and over lap a inch and a half. Press the fiberglass cloth into the epoxy. Let it dry. Mix another batch of epoxy and install over the fiberglass cloth.
I have done this on several hoods and never had one single failure.