Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hot water

My hot water system has been stumping me. Not sure what the deal is, sometimes it works awesome, other times not at all.

Have been only using the electric system for hot water. Do you turn it on and wait for red light or does red light mean its a problem?
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

On our Bounder, the light comes on when the heater doesn't light. (Like if you forget to turn on the LP or something.)
Old 06-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #3

What is the model of the WH?

There is no clear cut answer. Some RVs use a red light to tell you the LP function is on, and then also have a red "fault" light too. Some only have the fault light.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have an Atwood with the built in check/mixer valve, the valve(s) could be contaminated, restricting flow. Happened to us with our 2012 Discovery 36J. Had to remove the water heater and the wall surrounding the washer/dryer to get to it - NOT fun - and eliminate the valves to preclude it happening again.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/disc...ss-203028.html
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
My hot water system has been stumping me. Not sure what the deal is, sometimes it works awesome, other times not at all.

Have been only using the electric system for hot water. Do you turn it on and wait for red light or does red light mean its a problem?
On mine the red light is on the gas switch and only comes on if it doesn't light. If you just turn on the electric switch it takes awhile to heat. I turn on both during showers for faster recovery time. Make sure your outside faucets are closed. When you don't have hot water have you checked the tank to see if it's hot.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #6

I had been using electric only since I had it. Every time I tried to use gas a red light came on and showed fault. In March when we were in FL I wanted to use gas also. I saw on the internet here that people just had to clean the terminals on the circuit board at the heater. I wiggled and pulled the terminal plugs off and on a few times and then took the aluminum bracket holding the striker off and cleaned where it went together with screws. It needed a good ground like a BBQ grill lighter. It worked fine after that.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I basically figured out that if I turn the water heater on, we have to turn off after use, once the red light comes on, no more hot water. We were just turning it on and leaving it on, which caused red light to come on after a while. Think the red light is telling us there is a fault or problem.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 AM   #8

Maybe the thermostat is heating it up too hot and going out on high temp or the high temp cutout switch is bad taking it out before it shuts off. Then it can't cycle normally and causes a fault. You have to turn it off and back on to clear the fault.

Tags
water