RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater

2005 Fleetwood Expedition. Something keeps making our hot water heater throw a default mode. After set up yesterday a hose connector broke off and caused water to flood several compartments. We got that fixed. However, we have now had to replace 2 thermal cut off switches. It is an Atwood 2006 10 gal. Any ideas? Thanks. GARY
Cdsmith96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #2

Disregard 2006 after Atwood. All is 2005. Also, when this occurs, the default light comes on whether on gas or electric. However, i can bypass the cut off and it works. Not sure what's causing the thermal cut off to keep blowing. Is it the heat, should I just be on electric only. Is it time to replace the ECO and thermostat buttons? Can it be tied to the control board? Thanks for any info
Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #3

Fault light can NOT be triggered by 'thermal cut off' fuse.
Themal cut off is a one time fuse that blows when exposed to 190*F temps......which are a result of blow back from flame

That is typically due to obstructed burner tube or combustion chamber
*Should clean orifice (soak in alcohol then air dry...no high pressure air or poking anything thru it---it will be damaged)
*Should clean burner tube....small bottle brush and give it a good swabbing
*Should clean combustion chamber-----push a wire up thru and out exhaust. Tie a rag to wire then pull bakc thru doing a chimney sweep

Fault Light is triggered by 2 events
*Propane failure to light off and PROVE it lit (function of Spark Electrode/Circuit Board via 'Flame Rectrification')
*ECO opening (trips at 180*F when T-stat fails to open/shut down heating cycle at 140*F)
-------ECO opening whether on Electric or Propane (on electric a millivolt current is sent from circuit board thru ECO to gas valve. Just enough to use for detection of ECO operation so ECO is part of temp control loop. Loss of that signal when ECO opens at circuit board triggers Fault Light.
On Propane full 12VDC is used to operate gas valve if ECO opens circuit board is aware of loss of DC and triggers Fault Light

You should clean up edge connector on circuit board, check the pins in connector (no sideways pins and they make good contact on circuit board)
Replace the T-stat/ECO (come as a pair) and that thermal fuse
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I can bypass the thermal cut off plug in direct and the gas will light off and work. Just wondering, we are thinking that the water is getting too hot and its not shutting off, therefore, tripping the thermal cut off. Would I replace the EOC and STAT to start with? Any additional information would be appreciated, thanks Gary.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

When out this morning with a clear mind but still an old fart and determined I had crossed the EOC wire with the TSTAT wire. I am thinking this would have probably caused the over heating and the unit to shut down. I put the wires in their proper place, turned the power on, and the gas light off with no problem. Next question is, should I go ahead and replace the TSTAT and EOC. Coach is a 2005 and has probably never had anything done to it regarding the water heater. Thanks for your help. Gary
Old 08-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

OK..just for Clarifiation'

Thermal Cut OFF.......that is the fuse inside the clear plastic sleeve
Brown wire from circuit board to T-STAT
Brown wire from T-STAT to THERMAL FUSE back to circuit board
(thermal fuse blows---it has to be replaced. One Time Fuse)

T-stat and ECO (Energy Cut Off----HIGH Temp T-stat) wiring being reversed would NOT cause overheating of water.
T-stat (if functioning) opens at 140*F........it would STILL open at 140*F even if wiring was reversed.
Having wiring reversed would trigger Fault Light due to location of the DC being lost in the circuit (at ECO position which does trigger Fault Light)

Just for general maintenance:
Clean up connector/edge surface on circuit board
REPLACE the T-stat/ECO (clean tank surface)
Tighten ALL wire spade connectors so they fit tight on the terminals

Here is wiring diagram........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater