Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hot water not very hot!

So recently I noticed the hot water to be more on the warm/hot side and not as hot as it used to get. I was using it on electric so I switched it to propane and it appears to be doing the same thing. I remember reading somewhere about the mixing valve and have searched for that topic which I can't seem to find. Am I on the right track? and how do I test the valve or what does the group recommend I do first?
Thanks in advance!
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #2

First step is to ensure the outside shower valves are off. These will mix hot and cold for meh water temperature.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #3

Brand/Model of WH?

Atwood uses a Mixing Valve on their 'EXT' models....standard models do not have one
Mixing valve is located on backside of WH Tank

Suburban doesn't use one on any model

Luke warm water:
WH Tank Bypass leaking thru/not closed
Mixing Valve (if equipped) hot inlet clogged
Shower turned off via button/lever on handle vs closing the hot/cold knobs
T-stat opening too soon/failing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfleetwood View Post
So recently I noticed the hot water to be more on the warm/hot side and not as hot as it used to get. I was using it on electric so I switched it to propane and it appears to be doing the same thing. I remember reading somewhere about the mixing valve and have searched for that topic which I can't seem to find. Am I on the right track? and how do I test the valve or what does the group recommend I do first?

Thanks in advance!

No way to test valve you need to eliminate other possibilities first. Mine was clogged so a good chance your 2007 is also. Once you get removed you can simply clean out. The adjustment knob is in a fixed manufacturer position but can be adjusted if you want real hot water I did mine. Disclaimer before someone chimes in you could get water burned if adjusted to hot.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A 2007 Discovery is very unlikely to have an Atwood XT water heater, but check the heater model number to be sure. If not an XT, no heater mixing valve.

More likely the problem is one of these items:
  1. Outside shower faucets are open, allowing hot & cold to cross-mix thru the outside shower/sprayer
  2. Inside show faucets are open with water turned off at shower head. This also allows cold & hot to mix.
  3. The valve for the heater winterization bypass is partially open, allow some cold water to bypass the heater and feed directly to the hot line.bypass valve
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave,
When is the last time you gave your hot water heater tank a good vinegar bath ?

You might be due.
Pull the pressure relief valve and check the rod for white stuff (calcium).

Lots of YouTube videos on how to clean the tank.

That's where I would start.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a Atwood GE16 EXT, I checked the outside valves and the bypass valve and all checked ok. I didn't think this model had a anode rod per my research. Sounds like most are highly recommending that I clean it out with vinegar, which I will do soon. We're fulltimers so I have to plan it out. Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 12-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A 2007 Discovery is very unlikely to have an Atwood XT water heater, but check the heater model number to be sure. If not an XT, no heater mixing valve.

1. Outside shower faucets are open, allowing hot & cold to cross-mix thru the outside shower/sprayer
  2. Inside show faucets are open with water turned off at shower head. This also allows cold & hot to mix.
  3. The valve for the heater winterization bypass is partially open, allow some cold water to bypass the heater and feed directly to the hot line.bypass valve

Our 2006 Fleetwood Expedition has a mixing valve. Failed 2 years ago. Tried to clean. Replaced with one found on Amazon about half cost of one from Atwood.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfleetwood View Post
I have a Atwood GE16 EXT, I checked the outside valves and the bypass valve and all checked ok. I didn't think this model had a anode rod per my research. Sounds like most are highly recommending that I clean it out with vinegar, which I will do soon. We're fulltimers so I have to plan it out. Thanks again for all the replies!
That one HAS the Mixing Valve and the Hot inlet from tank is clogged so only a little hot is getting into the valve
*T-stat allows heating to 160*F then Mixing Valve controls output to 130*F

You will need to remove the Mixing Valve and clean it, clean out the check valve and inlet screen

https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.c...twood-g16-ext/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:25 PM   #10

KISS

I agree with Mike from Colorado, I always try the simplest and cheapest way first. You don’t say the age of your rig but calcium buildup in the bottom of the heater will cause it to operate inefficiently.
Small price for a 12 inch wand, let the water cool down, release the pressure and pull the drain plug. Attached a hose to the wand and blast away, finished up with the suggested vinegar rinse.

Good luck.
Tahoetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

More LIKELY than unlikely to have an EXT model. Even my '08 Bounder has an EXT model. Oh well.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
So I purchased a cleaning wand and OMG what a lot of white stuff came out, after that I replaced the mixing valve and all is back to normal. I still am planning to vinegar the tank when it works for us, but for now we're back in business. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 01-22-2023, 05:22 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Does this have a check valve
2psquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:58 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not that I'm aware of, just the mixing valve which is what resolved my issue.

Tags
hot water, water