RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

House Battery Dilemma

I have a 2016 Bounder 35K, today as I was checking on the electrolyte level in house batteries, one showed plates (no electrolyte above), rest I had to add quite a bit of distilled water to. (I have 4 6 volters). Thinking, since we do not boondock if/when comes time to replace-could 2 6 volters get the job done? When travel, we only travel 6-7 hours 250-300miles. Would 2-12's be better?? Your thoughts please......TYI
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
If your refrigerator is a house refrigerator, than stick with the 4- 6 volts. I have 4-12 volts in my new coach and they just don't cut it. Get a hydrometer and you can test each cell in the batts and find the bad one. I just replaced the bad batt if it was under 5 years old, but everyone says to replace all at once. My opinion. good luck.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

Traveling isn't an issue since the engine charging system also charges the house batteries.
The only time you need battery capacity is at meal or rest stops. Even then you can start the generator.

If you don't plan on dry camping at all, just install one big GP31 battery. Plenty of power to keep things running for quite a few hours.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, the go with 2 6 volt GC2 batteries in series. Plenty of power for a low cost, if bought at Sam's, Costco or Batteries+.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It pains me to see comments that lump all 12v batteries into one group and damn them as one. Voltage is not the criteria - it is deep cycle design vs SLI (starting battery) & Marine/RV hybrid. Trojan, Lifeline, Rolls and others make outstanding 12v deep cycles that can easily match the amp-hour and discharge cycles of a golf car 6v.

If you want two true deep cycle batteries that can deliver 210-230 AH (what a pair of GC2 6v can do), a pair of Trojan Group 27 deep cycles will do it nicely. The 27TMX delivers 210 AH and the 27TMh does 230 and will last as long as any GC2 type. That said, the GC2 6v will probably be cheaper, so maybe the most economic solution for you.

As for cutting down on battery AH, yes you can do it if your mostly move from electric site to electric site. 210 AH (the pair of 6vs you probably have) should readily get you thru a day of driving to the next campsite (or home). Just get plugged in when you get there.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

I would not reduce the battery bank. Before I replaced mine with lithium I did a little analysis. Overnight (say from 6PM to 8AM) will use about 120 amp hours with the residential refer on and maybe watch some TV charge an iphone and use some lights.
Do the match and you'll see you NEED the 4 just to do an overnight. Also, you will not be able replace the batteries under the steps with anything bigger as they are already VERY tight in there. There is simply not enough room.
I upgraded to 600AH of lithium, moved them away from under the stairs and never regretted it.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

He stated he does not boondock, so no overnight battery capacity needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I would not reduce the battery bank. Before I replaced mine with lithium I did a little analysis. Overnight (say from 6PM to 8AM) will use about 120 amp hours with the residential refer on and maybe watch some TV charge an iphone and use some lights.
Do the match and you'll see you NEED the 4 just to do an overnight. Also, you will not be able replace the batteries under the steps with anything bigger as they are already VERY tight in there. There is simply not enough room.
I upgraded to 600AH of lithium, moved them away from under the stairs and never regretted it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

Thank you all for your input on this subject.....I appreciate your thoughts and am taking them all into consideration...am leaning on replacing all 4...when the time comes to keep it as the manufacturer intended it to be. Sure do not want to cause any electrical issues!!!!!! Thanks again for your thoughts/advice....
Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
He stated he does not boondock, so no overnight battery capacity needed.
I'd hardly call overnighting boondocking. But everyone defines things differently. To each their own. Just trying to help
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

I guess it all comes back to the adage "best to have and not need than to need and not have"-especially watching the weather (and being in Florida at moment), never know if will be needed 'down the line'. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
CLR

You need to check the batteries at least once a month. I'm now down to the 6 week program because I now know how much water they use.
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery