Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How Do I Find What Engine Is In My Storm

Recently, I purchased a 2002 Fleetwood Storm 31A (Gas). Unfortunately, it doesn't have the owner's manual for the chassis. I know it is a 2003, Ford V10 Triton engine but that is it. Can anyone tell me where I can find the info that would tell me more about this engine (is this a 450, 550 etc.)? Where is this found on the RV? Also, anyone know of a cheap place to pick-up an owner's manual once I do figure out what I have.

Thanks in advance for the information (I am new to all of this),
Bob
New2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Fleetwood Customer Service should be able to help you. Be sure to have the VIN handy so they'll know the correct info to give you.
Safe Travels...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood Brochures at link.
But I didn't see a Storm listed
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I had an '03 Jayco. Given that it's a 31', I'd bet it's an E450. Since it's an '03, it'll be a 2 valve Triton V10.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome New2This to irv2.
Your v-10 engine is mounted on a Ford F-53 chassis. You will have a 02 or 03 chassis which should tell you the build date on a sticker near drivers door or seat on wall. Same sticker will have the axle ratings on your chassis and tire pressures when it left the factory. After you have your coach loaded for travel get it weight and adjust pressures as to weight on tire MFG's web site.
You can post questions in Ford Chassis Forum below for further answers from members.
Enjoy the site and do post often and happy RVing safe driving in your new coach.
More Ford LINKS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Owners manual

Hi New2this,
I was able to download an owners manual for a 1999 Chevrolet 454 engine for my 2000 motor home from Tradebit.com for $2.99. Try the name on Google. Non cheaper.
You're Welcome
Milt
Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, it is Ford F53 chassis with the 6.8L V-10 engine. The E450 is used only on class C's and some B's

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Yep, My bad, I forgot the Storm's a Class A. That's one tasty foot I got!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks For the Quick Response

First, let me thank all of you for the quick response and information that you provided. Secondly, while I am brand new to the world of RVing (only got into to it because it is my wife's long-time dream to incorporate an RV into our family activities), I have found that in a short period of time - I have become addicted. Part of that addiction is trying to learn everything I can about my own unit, "Mac." I have explored other RV sites and forums but non of them can hold a candle to this site. Here, I find the people friendly, knowledgeable and quick to help. Just no need to go elsewhere.

Bob
2003 Fleetwood Storm
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Well, then, let me take a break from snacking on my foot to say Welcome! I hope you and your wife have many safe & happy miles! One of the best things about RVing is learning & personalizing your rig! Hang out, pick a seat here by hte campfire & have a blast!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If what you are asking is which version of the Triton V10 you have, I would guess you have the 310 horsepower version. I had the 275 hp one on a '99 chassis. The current version has 362 hp.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's probably the 415cid V10 version which is what I have in my '04/'05 Storm. Just use regular 87 octane gas. Oil should be 5W-20 (6 qts) and an FL-820-S Motorcraft oil filter. I installed a K & N air filter in mine. I looked in my manuals and there is really nothing about how to obtain replacement manuals. If I can ever answer any questions about your Storm, I certainly will be happy to oblige and try.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Charles - a few other questions on my Storm (remember I have zilch experience with RV's). I know this is a very general question but just how much sway should I expect with my Storm. WHile driving at normal speeds I pick-up a swaying motion while driving over certain mildly uneven roads - is that normal or should I be looking for some underlying problem. Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the web you can go to a VIN Translation/interpertation service and type it in.

It is amazing the amount of info in the VIN

Where it was made, by whom, what plant, body style, size, engine, transmission, and a bunch of other stuff.... All in there.