Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 03:44 AM   #1

How do I start the generator

How do I start the generator on my pace arrow 97? Can anyone answer that for me please. do I have to have the engine running to start the generator?
Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2.

These were the switches on my 08 Bounder. The one marked generator ( far right ) started and stopped it. There was one on the generator as well.
Hopefully one of our members with a similar model to your Pace Arrow will chime in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428832177.993889.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	91200

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde View Post
How do I start the generator on my pace arrow 97? Can anyone answer that for me please. do I have to have the engine running to start the generator?
No you don't have to have engine running, but it most likely cranks off of house batteries.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #4

Push the generator start button and hold it in until the generator starter engages. Your problem may only be you not holding the button long enough for the prime and then start sequence to complete. Yours is a gasser so also check that your two position start button has the prime position pressed at the same side as the off position. Always prime first for about 30 seconds, then attempt to start by pressing the rocker switch to the start position.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde View Post
The simple answer to your questions;
  • Press and hold the start button until the generator starts.
  • NO, you don't have to have the engine running (unless the house batteries are not fully charged)

With that said, there are a few things that you do need;
  • You do need to have the battery disconnect switch (by the entry door) ON to activate the house batteries.
  • You need to have sufficient power in the batteries to crank and start the generator (you can start the main engine for assistance with the power)
  • You need at least 1/4 tank of gas in the motorhome main tank.
Your 5K generator does NOT have the prime feature, mentioned in an earlier reply, but you can effectively prime it by letting it rest a few seconds after the first start attempt. It should start on subsequent attempts.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #6

When my generator will not start, it was because the breaker on the generator had flipped. take the cover off the generator and see if the breaker needs to be reset
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is semi-universal

Step 1: Photograph dash switchs with your digital picture taker

Step 2: Access generator.. On the face of the generator will be a switch and two circuit breakres (usually... may only be one breaker)

Check position of breakrs...IF ON/OFF markings are hard to read use a P-Touch or something like it to label either the ON or OFF side (OFF on mine) The tape is taped next to the breakers on the OFF side.

Now... Push the BOTTOM (STOP) side of the switch and hold. (This is for ONAN,,SHOULD not hurt on other makes) Till the switch lights.. You should hear the click click click of the fuel pump..

When it stops (or seriously slows down) press the TOP (START) end of the switch...HOld for up to 30 sconds.. I usualy hold for like 1/2 second.. Then wait 30 seconds,,then try again...Once generator starts.......

Go back inside and compare switches to photo..ONE SWITCH should now be lit or have its indicator lit which was dark in the photo you took earlier.. THAT...is your generator switch..Works just like the on on the generator itself.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Push the generator start button and hold it in until the generator starter engages. Your problem may only be you not holding the button long enough for the prime and then start sequence to complete. Yours is a gasser so also check that your two position start button has the prime position pressed at the same side as the off position. Always prime first for about 30 seconds, then attempt to start by pressing the rocker switch to the start position.
DTW
Thank you so much😉
Old 04-13-2015, 03:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspringsrv View Post
When my generator will not start, it was because the breaker on the generator had flipped. take the cover off the generator and see if the breaker needs to be reset
Thank you so much for such detailed instructions. Generators on��your the greatest

Tags
generator