Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
How do you route your sewer hose and still keep out the unwanteds?

This maybe a silly question, but I can't help but wonder if perhaps I'm missing something here..

The water bay in our 2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G has a square plastic cover with rounded corners that you remove when connecting the sewer line. This cover has one corner cut out for the hose, but there's no bloody way that I can see of routing the hose through that cut-out corner. So the best I can do is prop that little plastic cover against the hose, but that leaves much of the hole from the water bay open to the elements... cold air... critters...

Have other owners found a trick that I'm not aware of?? Or have they just built a new cover for when the sewer line is connected??

Rob
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If possible a pic would help us. We route our macerator hose and water thru a small circular hole and then out to the appropriate receptacle. If using the 4 inch hose provided it would have to routed to a fixed black plastic drain under the sewer/water bay. At this point the slinky most likely would be attached. If you have never used a macerator system, I would recommend the purchase. We use the Thetford Sani con system in our past and present coach. This really makes life easy and clean!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thanks Clay.
I'll have to post a picture when I can... Sadly... I'm still a full-time worker, so I only get to the RV when time permits.

At the moment, I'm not considering a mascerator system, since I haven't had issues with the standard sewer hose system on this or our prior RV. I appreciate that some folks love them, especially if you have a long distance to go to reach the septic connection, or if you have to pump up hill. So far, since we almost always stay in RV parks with septic, elec, water, we haven't had that situation.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

FW has always had a large hole for the sewer hose. And yes mice can get in through that hole. If the hole were smaller one can stuff the sides with stainless steel wool. I have seen aftermarket plastic devices for this purpose but I thought they were mickey mouse.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I keep a container of moth balls in that compartment, right next to the hole. So far, after more than 2 years of full time, no critters, not even insects.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I only hook up the hose when I need to dump so no problem letting critters in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Are you talking about the floor of the water bay?? Ours has a round hole large enough for the fresh water hose and sewer hose to fit through. When not in use there is a round plastic cover that covers the hole. But, this may not be what your talking about?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I only hook up the hose when I need to dump so no problem letting critters in.
Ditto. We don't leave our slinky hooked up unless we are dumping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Are you talking about the floor of the water bay?? Ours has a round hole large enough for the fresh water hose and sewer hose to fit through. When not in use there is a round plastic cover that covers the hole. But, this may not be what your talking about?
I guess some are set up differently; our Bounder has the round access hole, too.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes I am talking about the floor. Mine has a removable thin plastic square with a hole cut out of one corner. The problem is that the dump is positioned in the center of the plate, and it's so close to that floor plate that I cannot bend the sewer hose to make it to the corner.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Are you removing the plastic square plate and bringing the sewer hose up through it and attaching it to the dump? The rounded corner is probably for the fresh water hose. Still scratching my head on this.....probably need a picture.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to remove the plate to get the sewer hose connected. No option there. It appears that there was a design change somewhere along the line and what was intended to work will not.

Sorry about no pix... I'm not with the coach.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I have to remove the plate to get the sewer hose connected. No option there. It appears that there was a design change somewhere along the line and what was intended to work will not.

Sorry about no pix... I'm not with the coach.
So the issue is actually that the access hole is not lined up properly with the hookup for the sewer hose? We had to purchase one of those clear plastic "elbow" (or whatever it's called) to attach to the sewer hookup. It goes between the sewer hose and the dump pipe. It works great and allows the person dumping the tanks to see when the rinse water is sufficiently clear.

There are several different brands/models. Here's one from Amazon...
Amazon.com: Camco 39847 RhinoFLEX Clear 45 Degree RV Sewer Hose Swivel Fitting: Automotive
Old 11-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Statgeek, we have the same coach as you and had the same problem. I complained to Fleetwood and they made me a new cover with the hole in the proper place. Just curious, have you tried to use the seatbelts on the couch? Ours were so short our kids could barely buckle them and no way an adult could. Fleetwood fixed that too but I was surprised it got out of the factory that way.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craig-
I have to admit that we have not tried the rear seat belts. I know there are a lotta folks now that are going to thing badly if me, but we allow our kids to rest or sleep in the bunks when we are traveling. But I will try them out now in the event that we want to start using them.

Thanks for the tip about complaining to Fleetwood. Right now I have bigger fish to fry (battery bank is fried--2months in my possession--either faulty charger or poor lot maintenance). I will follow up on the floor plate after the bigger issues are solved.