Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
How many of you 'plug-in' for long periods

Just wondering, how many of you leave your units plugged-in for long periods of time.

I pretty much have mine plugged into a 20amp circuit whenever we are not on the road. We currently only travel 7-8 weeks per year.

The only time I'm not plugged-in is when we are rolling, and half of that time we have the generator on running the roof-top air. We really have never boondocked other than a rest-stop or truck-stop and then ran the generator when I could.

I go back and forth with which is better, plugged-in or completely disconnect the batteries and put them on a separate battery maintainer over the non-travel days.

I know that as long as I'm plugged in, the BMS is controlling charge to both the house and coach batteries. In the winter, that keeps them from freezing along with keeping them fully charged. That alone makes it worth while for me.

Just wondering what others do?

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I leave the batteries connected and topped off all year long. The only time the solar is disconnected is when I am checking the batteries. Actually when "plugged" in for months at a time at a destination I will unplug the converter and run everything off the float.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic>
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #3

Not your brand, but my MH sits outside my house under a carport when we are not using it. It stays plugged in to a 30 amp circuit 100% of the time it is there. Fridge is always on, HP is usually on as well.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
tcg

When we're not using it it sits at the storage lot, batteries off, not plugged in.

I just closed it up for the winter. Batteries are fully charged and off. Won't give it a second thought for the next five months.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
plugged in and ac/heat/aquahot on 365-24-7. Unless were rolling (cord too short for extended trips dont ask how I know)
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mine is leveled, slides out, parked at home and plugged in to a dedicated 50A circuit when we're not traveling. I also do not winterize mine as we use it all year to travel. I have solar panels, I keep fridge, A/C units or heat on at all times keeping it cool or warm depending on the season. Mine is all electric except for the AquaHot system and I have on-demand, unlimited hot water. I'm retired and I like to go out to the MH, relax, take a nap, watch TV, etc. whenever I want to take a break.

As to your comment "I go back and forth with which is better, plugged-in or completely disconnect the batteries and put them on a separate battery maintainer over the non-travel days", IMHO, I'd rather keep everything on as we keep food in the fridge, cabinets, etc., I use it like a "second home" and I like to keep things simple by not having to disconnect batteries, hook up a maintainer, etc.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep mine plugged in all the time. I have a house battery disconnect switch that I keep turned off. I turn it back on occasionally for a day or two to charge the batteries.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #8

My current RV has been plugged in for 14 years
unless its roling
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I stay plugged into a 20amp circuit. I check my batteries once a month for water level. I too, also keep the fridge on. I have a 50 circuit set up for when all the family comes in for holidays, they can run the A/C units. I have never had any issues. I take my Motorhome on a road trip once a month, just to keep things exercised. Plus, this keep the generator exercised also. I find it always best to use mechanical items or they will tend to give you problems in the future. Things like, moisture and corrosion are not your best friend. As a mechanic for over 40 years, I can tell you, do not let things just sits for years. Months may be fine, depending on weather conditions, but years, Never!
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #10

Our MH rolls year round and plugged in at home when not rolling. Has not moved for 2 months now, which is rare but other schedules have dictated.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC1 View Post
plugged in and ac/heat/aquahot on 365-24-7. Unless were rolling (cord too short for extended trips dont ask how I know)
Yeah, I found that to be the case once...you would think Home Depot would sell longer cords.

It's good that they snap quickly and blow the breaker...

I keep broken end as a reminder.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #12

Mine stays plugged in and just got done installing box for my son.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	886.1 KB
ID:	265951
Old 11-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #13

I keep my MH plugged in 24/7 when at home. The genny is running when I unplug.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X #xxx. Plugged in 27/7
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote