RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #1

How thick is the floor of my slideout?

I'm in the process of replacing my peeled sofa. I found a used one that is the correct width, but the mounting holes don't match up (about 10" wider). I plan to cut a metal plate to lay over the mounting lip on the new couch, then bolt to the original mounting points. I would also like the added security of running some lags through the plate and mounting lip, but don't want to get myself in trouble with something too long. Anyone know how thick the floor is there?
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #2

What was holding original one in place?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

1/2" bolts screwed into an anchor like the seat belt anchor, which I plan to use as well as bolting through the sofa mounting bracket. To be clear, the original floor brackets were actually attached to the sofa bracket with drill screws, probably #10. I was surprised to see that it was no more substantial than that.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #4

My stuff just floats in here....doesn't move, but not fastened down either and stays in place...I'd use the length of bolt you removed if it had enough thread engagement before....
Old 09-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #5

I don't think you are following me. The pictures will show that I can't mount it like the original. I want to utilize the existing mounting points, but would feel better if I screwed through the couch brackets as well.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #6

I know what you want to do....do it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeandTheBear View Post
I don't think you are following me. The pictures will show that I can't mount it like the original. I want to utilize the existing mounting points, but would feel better if I screwed through the couch brackets as well.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #7

Well, back to the original question. I asked if anyone knows how thick the floor is.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm guessing the original holes don't go all the way through?

Small drill and punch it through, as there shouldn't be anything where the screw was. Stiff piece of wire with a 90 bend in it. Drop the wire in the hole, go under and mark it, pull out and measure between the bend and the mark.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I'm guessing the original holes don't go all the way through?

Small drill and punch it through, as there shouldn't be anything where the screw was. Stiff piece of wire with a 90 bend in it. Drop the wire in the hole, go under and mark it, pull out and measure between the bend and the mark.
No, the original holes don't go all the way through, and I'm trying to keep it that way. I want to screw some lags into the floor in addition to using the original ""built-in" nuts. I was hoping someone knew how thick the wood was, so I don't pierce the bottom of the slide. It's not that big of a deal, I just figured someone had repaired a slide floor before and would know whether the wood was 1", 2", or whatever thick.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #10

Sofa in slide out doesn't need anything more substantial then #10 screws to hold it in place
It isn't going anywhere

Typical side out floor is 1" thick hence the 1/2" bolts so nothing goes thru floor and creates a LEAK Point
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Sofa in slide out doesn't need anything more substantial then #10 screws to hold it in place
It isn't going anywhere
I was more concerned with it breaking loose in an accident, more than anything. I will probably have grandchildren belted down on that sofa, and with the belts more securely attached to the floor, I want the sofa to stay put too. I know I am probably overthinking it a bit, but nothing wrong with being too safe.

Actually, the 1/2" bolts are 1/2" diameter. They were well over an inch long. Anyway, when I got back out to the coach, I realized that the area directly behind the driver seat did not have the lip and I could see that it's about 2" thick, including carpet and sheet metal. I'm guessing there's about 1 1/2" of plywood in there.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My American Tradition was about 1-1/8" but I never measured it. Basically a sheet of thick, coarse plywood with an upper smooth skin to take the carpet and a thin vinyl sheet on the underside as weatherproofing and skid plate.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went through this recently and here is what I learned. First to answer your question; the decking appears to be 1" and the bolts are 1/2" and 1" long. The mounting bracket thickness takes up some of that length. I also discovered that the factory dod not install all of the bolts because not all of the holes lined up.....go figure. I was able to get thre of the four to line up. Tought that I could simply drill and tap a new mounting hole presuming (incorrectly) that the aluminum that the used and tapped was larger than it actually is.

I had the original furniture reupholstered so I was able to use most of the mounting hoes that did line up. No idea how to do a secure mount in plywood and you do not want to have anything go through the bottom of the slide. No way that I would not have the furniture secured; in an accident you do not want to find it flying about your cabin. Please do let us know if you find a way to relocate mounting holes securely.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:22 AM   #14

I removed by floor for repair .It was 1/4 plywood on top of a aluminum frame that was 1".the bottom was 1/4" with the metal cladding .030.
So around 1 9/16.
mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, slide, slideout