Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How To Service Batteries?

2004 American Eagle, Spartan chassis. The battery compartment does not roll out that I can see and there has a metal cover over the battery tray making it impossible to service the batteries without disconnecting all the cables and either pulling each battery out to add water or using a mirror to see level and fill. I hope that I missing something and that someone can enlighten me.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

You have a prime candidate for AGM batteries.

Until then, use a turkey baster and a mirror.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #3

Actually there is an easy fix for this. I added 4 batteries to my rv, but could not get to the caps. First thing I did was make the cables long enough to pull batteries out. But then I discovered Flow-Rite Qwik-Fill. You remove your old caps, put on the new ones with a small hose attached, then you can add water via a siphon type bulb pump. Takes 1 minute to fill them. Shuts of automatically. A lot cheaper than AGM's. Although on my boat I have 11 AGM batteries, which I love. But did not want to spend the money on the RV.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #4

House batteries or chassis batteries? If house batteries, can you get a watering system that will install on them? I've got one on my Trojan batteries, and all that I have to do to fill them is drop the end of the water tube in the jug of distilled water, connect to the watering system, and pump the hand bulb a few times until pressure is felt. Probably available for chassis batteries as well.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you all. AGM's will be in my future. As for fill systems I've used one on my golf carts but pulled it off because the valves would occasionally stick and would overfill some cells. It ruined one set of batteries. Instructions say to remove and clean the system periodically so I'd still have pull everything out. For now I'll use a lab squirt bottle and mirror until it is battery time. All the batts are in one compartment/tray. Really bad design.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Follow up on my original post. Seems the '04 Eagle originally came with gel batteries which did not require servicing. So, AC designed the bay in such a manner so as to provide a "shelf" over the batteries. The box arrangement can be removed...if you are Gumby and have 5' arms. Anyway, the PO had replaced the original batts with wet cell and discovered that servicing them (if he even knew it was required) was too hard -- so he didn't. 4 very dead house batteries several with exposed plates if not totally dry. Not recoverable. AGM's are going in. I figured battery replacement was due when I bought the coach so the only surprise is total neglect of this fairly important system. "Come on, man!"
Old 11-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I had an '04 Tradition for 10 years. It came from the factory with 12v AGMs for the house and sealed starting batteries, so nothing that needed much in the way of service. Just replacement every 5-8 years. However, the shield over the batteries is removable - just a half dozen screws as I recall.

I improved mine by removing the shield and putting in an aluminum & plywood shelf, raised several inches so I could at least see under, check cable tightness, etc. And use the shelf for storing odds and ends.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:40 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I had an '04 Tradition for 10 years. It came from the factory with 12v AGMs for the house and sealed starting batteries, so nothing that needed much in the way of service. Just replacement every 5-8 years. However, the shield over the batteries is removable - just a half dozen screws as I recall.

I improved mine by removing the shield and putting in an aluminum & plywood shelf, raised several inches so I could at least see under, check cable tightness, etc. And use the shelf for storing odds and ends.

A most excellent solution, Gary! I'll do this when I swap out the batteries.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #9

Have you tried removing cover? I have agm’s and changed them out without removing cover.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I began by removing 2 batteries just to see if I could. Marked the cables first. I can replace without removing the cover but it would be much easier if it were not there. I don’t see much value to it. A roll out tray would have been nicer. New batts coming next week. I’ll make the decision after all the batts are removed and I can crawl around in there without concern.

Tags
batteries, service