RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

How to use battery disconnect

Trying to figure out my new to me bounder. I know the 2 rocker switches above the door control the disconnects. The switch on the left if I switch it down sometimes I'll hear a click but I dont notice anything change. The switch on the right if i switch it down, the lights on the dash light up and when i push it back up the dash lights turn off.

Neither position on the switches allow me to start the generator.

Neither position do I notice the batteries charging when I'm plugged into shore power.

So the question is, what do I need to do to make these work?
Magnaryder02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 02:46 AM   #2

Can you add the year of your coach to your post .

Were you trying the switches while hooked to shore power ?
My coach disconnect won't work if the coach is on shore power ?
Have you ever had the gen set running ?
Or are you just trying it for the first time?
Old 10-25-2020, 04:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaryder02 View Post
Trying to figure out my new to me bounder. I know the 2 rocker switches above the door control the disconnects. The switch on the left if I switch it down sometimes I'll hear a click but I dont notice anything change. The switch on the right if i switch it down, the lights on the dash light up and when i push it back up the dash lights turn off.

Neither position on the switches allow me to start the generator.

Neither position do I notice the batteries charging when I'm plugged into shore power.

So the question is, what do I need to do to make these work?

What is your battery voltage since it’s not charging while plugged in?
Old 10-25-2020, 05:02 AM   #4

It is a 2002 bounder. This rv and rving in general is new to me. Never had the genset running. Coach batteries are about 11.5v and chassis is 12.3v. Tried switches on and off shore power, didnt seem to do anything except the one lit the dash.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:29 AM   #5

Those are "Battery disconnect" switches. One disconnects the " House battery". sounds like one disconnects the chassis battery. First I have heard of a "Chassis Battery switch but it makes sense. To test the house battery switch, disconnect from shore power, (This turns off the converter), turn on a ceiling light. Now turn the "Battery Disconnect" switch on and of. The light should go on and off. If there is a light on the switch, that just means that there is 12 volts present. it does not mean the switch is on or off. That little switch is only controlling a relay. That is why you need to use a ceiling light.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

I am having an issue with same switch. I went to store out 2005 Fleetwood southwind and I usually hear the click when the switches shut off the batteries. I didn’t this time around. I was told that it might be the selanoid needs to be reset? Never had this issue before. Just changed all the batteries. any suggestions? And where I might find the selanoid near battery in front of coach?
Mdsallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think back then Fleetwood called those switches Aux and Main disconnects, but Aux is house and Main is chassis. They should be rocker switches, each triggering a relay (aka solenoid) that actually does the disconnecting. They should work whether connected to shore power or not, though shore power may continue to provide 12v power within the coach even with the battery offline. You may or may not hear the clunk of the relay engaging, but usually you can if its quiet.

The fact that neither battery bank is charging suggests the relays are indeed Off, since that would prevent the charge current from reaching them.

With shore power disconnected and generator Off, do you have 12v power, e.g. lighting, in the coach house section? If yes, the Aux House batteries are still connected. Try the switches and see if the lighting goes off. Also try using 12v chassis power, e.g. turn the ignition to ACC and try the radio. If it works, the chassis battery is still connected.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #8

The test using the interior lights isnt going to work as the lights are wired directly to the house batteries. Currently I am removing the negative terminal to prevent parasitic draw on the batteries. My radio doesn't work at all either, even with the rv running. I'm working through electrical issues, but I needed to figure how the system is supposed to work in order to troubleshoot.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdsallus View Post
I am having an issue with same switch. I went to store out 2005 Fleetwood southwind and I usually hear the click when the switches shut off the batteries. I didn’t this time around. I was told that it might be the selanoid needs to be reset? Never had this issue before. Just changed all the batteries. any suggestions? And where I might find the selanoid near battery in front of coach?
On mine the solenoids are located in a black box in the engine compartment accessed from the front on the right hand side. The solenoids are behind the circuit board.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaryder02 View Post
The test using the interior lights isnt going to work as the lights are wired directly to the house batteries. Currently I am removing the negative terminal to prevent parasitic draw on the batteries. My radio doesn't work at all either, even with the rv running. I'm working through electrical issues, but I needed to figure how the system is supposed to work in order to troubleshoot.
You do not understand. The test is gonna work because it shuts off the batteries. Without the battery and no shore power, the lights can not work. The relay is between the battery and the fuses.

If the lights stay on and both switches do nothing to turn them off, the relay is not working.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You do not understand. The test is gonna work because it shuts off the batteries. Without the battery and no shore power, the lights can not work. The relay is between the battery and the fuses.

If the lights stay on and both switches do nothing to turn them off, the relay is not working.
The relay is not working or a previous owner bypassed it.

That happens all of the time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The relay is not working or a previous owner bypassed it.

That happens all of the time.
I'm not in any way trying to Hijack twinboat's post.
When he's referring to a "Relay" this is what he is referring to: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/KIB-L...-p/94-4321.htm
Some folks may refer to this as a solenoid as this relay does resemble a solenoid but it is constructed differently due to it's intended use. Long term engagement as opposed to short time engagement like a starter solenoid.
Those unfamiliar with these relays might be looking for a small relay like is commonly used in a fuse panel etc.
Lynn
Old 11-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #13

So I tried the switches while on shore power and the lights did not go off. If I were to guess I'd say they were bypassed. I can get the generator to start if I hit the aux start and push the start button locally, but shuts off after a minute.

I still dont get any charging while hooked to shore power. Any idea where the converter is on this model? Are the house batteries supposed to charge while the engine is running? I'm only getting 14v at the chassis battery while running.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #14

So I dug a little more and found that I was getting ~10.5 volts at the electrical box in the camper and at the coach connection at the battery control center. Later I tried the lights again and I found that I was only getting ~2 volts at the battery control. I had a helper hit the left switch at the door and the relay clicked and I was getting 0 volts. Clicked it back the other way and nothing. Could the relay be only applying partial voltage? I thought relays would either work or not. Double checked the coach batteries at the batteries and they were reading 12 volts.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect