Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2023, 05:26 PM   #1

Hubcap removal

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W (Workhorse)

How the heck do I remove the hubcaps? Is it just pure strength to pry them off? I watched a YouTube video that some of the fake nuts have the hubcap locked on. But, it doesn't look like any of my fake nuts are separate from the actual hubcap. A photo of one of the hubcaps is attached.

Thanks in advance!!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hubcap.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	385249  
Scott6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #2

Hard to tell from the picture - but if you look at each of the chrome nuts, 2 of them will have dimples on their flats.

You pull those off and underneath is the nut that holds the hubcap on.

You might try a pair of rag covered channel locks to pull the covers off if you can’t pull them off by hand or fingers.

All the ones I’ve seen have 2 fakes, opposite of each other.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:47 PM   #3
US1

The dummy nuts on my RVs have always screwed on. Unscrew those 2 fake nuts and the hub cap comes off. When reinstalling, you just snug them hand tight. My 1st RV, A 2000 Winnebago on a Workhorse chassis, those fake nuts just had plastic threads. Hence the 'snug' comment.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
The dummy nuts on my RVs have always screwed on. Unscrew those 2 fake nuts and the hub cap comes off. When reinstalling, you just snug them hand tight. My 1st RV, A 2000 Winnebago on a Workhorse chassis, those fake nuts just had plastic threads. Hence the 'snug' comment.
US1 - the covers on our coach have as I explained, a chrome cap covering an steel holding nut, 2 per wheel. There is even a wrench for the dummy nut that won’t fit on the holding nut if the chrome cover hasn’t been removed. The wrench looks like one of those crude spark plug wrench’s for lawn mower plugs.

Not only is the set OEM on my coach made that way, so are the new one’s that I bought to replace the old ones with. I didn’t know about the wrench until opening the box of the new set, which was complete with new chrome caps and all steel holding nuts.

Your mileage has varied.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
US1

Yes, my RV's have also included that wrench. It has always fit just fine over the cap. Never needed to remove the cover. Was not about to pry them off the nuts. Mine were also OEM.
Apparently 2 different designs.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:23 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two types of cover nuts. If the indention looks like a minus sign - the cover stays on the nut. You remove both the cover and the nut at the same time.
If the indention looks round O the cover comes off first and then you remove the nut.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:33 AM   #7

FYI - Here is what the replacement hubcap kit I bought for our coach looks like -

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...o-nh8495_w.jpg

I actually have this set sitting in my garage right now awaiting my installation. The 2 rears and one front will be up for sale once I get it done (one of the fronts has some road damage which I’ll probably throw in for grins).
Old 02-07-2023, 04:48 PM   #8

Fake wheel rim retainer chrome nuts

Suggest strongly that when you replace the 2 wheel rim retainer fake nuts, to use blue loctite. These things are like a small missile if they come off while travelling down the highway. They are also hard to replace if lost.
Drifter9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal