Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Hydraulic

On out 2013 American Tradition. Haven't used the hydraulic jacks for 6 months until the first trip south. First stop and lowered the jacks and all went fine. When we left the jacks only came up 3". After re cycling the jacks I managed getting to not come up at all. Played around and they came up to that 3" mark again. We decided to head to our next site anyway. When we stoped I saw that the jacks were up all the way. The fluid is up to about 2" from the top. Looks like there is some oil dripping along side of the tank and down to the street flap. Nothing else works on hydraulics but the jacks. Called a guy and he said to clean the wet tank and try and see if I can find a leak. Afraid to lower them again.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

If the problem were mine, I would lower the jacks and with a clean cloth, wipe the jacks down with some ATF. Then exercise them.

Richard
Old 02-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

Are you allowing enough time to air up before hitting retract?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Are you allowing enough time to air up before hitting retract?
Good question. I didn't think air had anything to do with it. I have the option to level either way. I'm going to clean up the tank and try again to level with hydraulics.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever lubricated your jacks? I do mine about once a year.

Automatic transmission fluid is recommended and I've used that a couple times. Other times I sprayed them with WD40.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Today I cleaned the tank and found the level mark. Looks like the fluid is 2 inches too low. I'm going to fill this and see what happens
Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Sounds like the fluid Level is low - Top it off and Never use WD 40 for lube on your Legs - Always use a Good Spray Lube like CRC - Read up on it = WD 40 evaporates extremely fast and really doesn't really lube anything .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
A guy in the park said I could use mineral oil instead of Hydraulic oil. Not sure I would do that. I think I'll stick with the right stuff.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
On out 2013 American Tradition. Haven't used the hydraulic jacks for 6 months until the first trip south. First stop and lowered the jacks and all went fine. When we left the jacks only came up 3". After re cycling the jacks I managed getting to not come up at all. Played around and they came up to that 3" mark again. We decided to head to our next site anyway. When we stoped I saw that the jacks were up all the way. The fluid is up to about 2" from the top. Looks like there is some oil dripping along side of the tank and down to the street flap. Nothing else works on hydraulics but the jacks. Called a guy and he said to clean the wet tank and try and see if I can find a leak. Afraid to lower them again.
Sounds like the breather is clogged. Assuming single-acting jack system, with spring return, having them down a long time allows air pressure inside the tank to eventually get to atmospheric, but retracting them will require time for the air to get pushed out, which may explain why they eventually came up.

If the tank is readily available from above (as opposed to under the coach), next time they don’t come up all the way, try cracking the filler/breather open and see if air comes out and the jacks go up. A partially clogged filler/breather can also explain the mess it’s made.

Without a schematic, I’m just guessing, but that’s what it sounds like from here.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

Hydraulic valve may be sticking

Are all the Jack's no wanting to raise?
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Hydraulic valve may be sticking

Are all the Jack's no wanting to raise?
When trying to raise the jacks, none came up no more than 4 inches. All the jacks are up now and I'm not going to cycle them until I get the oil up to top level.

Tags
hydraulic