Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #1

Hydraulic line to front jacks

When I set up today the front jack hydraulic line ruptures and I lost hydraulic fluid everywhere. Front Jack's don't work, of course. The rear Jack's did go down, hopefully they will go up when I leave?

BTW 1999 Fleetwood Pace arrow vision.

Is this a reasonable repair for a dyi? I am assuming the system will need to be bled after line is replaced?

The reservoir is behind the battery on passenger side. I have had to top the fluid before.

Any tips on replacement will be welcomed. Thank you

Nazoomer
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazoomer View Post
When I set up today the front jack hydraulic line ruptures and I lost hydraulic fluid everywhere. Front Jack's don't work, of course. The rear Jack's did go down, hopefully they will go up when I leave?

BTW 1999 Fleetwood Pace arrow vision.

Is this a reasonable repair for a dyi? I am assuming the system will need to be bled after line is replaced?

The reservoir is behind the battery on passenger side. I have had to top the fluid before.

Any tips on replacement will be welcomed. Thank you

Nazoomer

Maybe a mobile line repair guy, we have them around here. You might want to secure if not repairing till you get home just Incase they come down.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy Peasy, maybe...

The old line can be removed and taken to any hydraulic shop (i..e Parker store) and they can make you a new one. Do a google search for something liker hydraulic hose repair, give them a call and ask them. Hoses and fitting are industry standard. Unless you can identify specifically why the hose failed , i.e. chaffed against something. consider replacing all the hoses, if one failed, the others aren't far behind.

Climb under there and see what it takes to remove the old line, then route the new line in the same way. Use heavy duty tie wraps, but don't honker down on them, leave a little loose as the hose will move a little under pressure.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

Thanks for encouraging words. Will get to it when I get home. Nazoomer
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

My front jack line sprung a leak in my driveway, and it made a mess ! After much wiping and cleaning, I was lucky and found the pinhole in the hose that ran from the pump to the right front jack. Not too hard to remove.
Took the hose to my local NAPA store and they made me one while I waited; got 2 qts of their brand power steering fluid and was out the door for about $75. Lippert cust svc was very helpful about "bleeding" telling me to fill the resevoir, run the jacks up and down several times, and recheck the tank. all in all, a victory for the DIYer !
Old 08-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #6

If they are HWH jacks, the lines will have part numbers at each end-- makes ordering or even having them made locally much easier.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Easy Peasy, maybe...

The old line can be removed and taken to any hydraulic shop (i..e Parker store) and they can make you a new one. Do a google search for something liker hydraulic hose repair, give them a call and ask them. Hoses and fitting are industry standard. Unless you can identify specifically why the hose failed , i.e. chaffed against something. consider replacing all the hoses, if one failed, the others aren't far behind.

Climb under there and see what it takes to remove the old line, then route the new line in the same way. Use heavy duty tie wraps, but don't honker down on them, leave a little loose as the hose will move a little under pressure.
This is all you need to do, no need to go HWH if they are HWH - eliminate the middle man and save yourself some money!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your jacks are power gear. (If factory installed.) We were a Fleetwood dealership. I have repaired many coaches. When you have the new ones made, look to see if the old hose is too long. Many times the old hose was extra long and the factory just coiled up the extra. If that is true on yours, have them make the new hose shorter.
But not too short. Lol.

Tags
hydraulic, jacks