Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

I don't think my house batteries are getting charged.

This weekend we were using our coach as a bridal suite at step-daughters outdoor wedding. Knowing that virtually every light would be on, I ran the generator to keep from running the house batteries down. Well, I apparently have two problems. After running for an hour or so, the generator would quit running. I witnessed it once, and it acted as it was running out of gas (main tank is full). I'm thinking this is not a huge deal because the lights should still work for hours on the house batteries...right??? In very short order, they start getting dim. I could connect the chassis battery and they perk right up, so I just start the engine and let it run for a bit, then restart the generator and let it run until it decides to quit again. The batteries are new as of March. It's been pretty hectic here and I haven't had any time to dig into this, and don't really know where to start. I don't think it is charging when connected to shore power either, because the lights also went out unexpectedly while the grandkids were using it as their fort, just before I replaced the batteries. I have already replaced the solenoid in the BCC, but I feel there is another somewhere, but don't know where it is.

I feel the generator issue is just a fuel related thing and not really related to the dead house batteries. I think I will just replace the fuel filter and pump and reevaluate if that doesn't resolve it. The charging issue is what I don't have a good grasp on. Any advice?
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 06:51 AM   #2

1) Make sure the gene has oil. It is built to shut down should the oil level drop.
2) Why did you replace one solenoid? Did you run through the troubleshooting steps for the BCC to determine what is not working properly? It could be the board itself or one of the other solenoids that are a problem.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:46 AM   #3

I replaced that solenoid because of the lights going out unexpectedly when the grandkids were playing inside. That was a couple of months ago.

As I said, I haven't had much spare time to mess with it. So no, I haven't run through any troubleshooting scenarios.

I am aware of the low oil shutoff and did check the oil. It was a little low, but not to the "add" mark. The genny acted like it was running out of gas, see-sawing up and down until it stopped.

There is only one solenoid in the BCC. Where are others?
Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #4

Check your voltage before and after starting the generator. You likely have the voltage shown on a display, if not use a meter. Without the genset running you may get 12v or so, when you start it you should get at least 13
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeandTheBear View Post
I replaced that solenoid because of the lights going out unexpectedly when the grandkids were playing inside. That was a couple of months ago.

As I said, I haven't had much spare time to mess with it. So no, I haven't run through any troubleshooting scenarios.
There is only one solenoid in the BCC. Where are others?
Being you have an older rv it is unclear which BCC you have.
I suggest going through the troubleshooting steps for the BCC to determine what (if any) problems exist with it's functionality.
More info here:
BCC Info
But make sure you select the right model as they have a number of different ones.
My BCC has 3 solenoids in the BCC black box.
I believe one for the chassis battery disconnect, one for the aux battery disconnect and on to connect the two banks together.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #6

maybe bad fuel pump on gen and or i had a critter eat thur gen gas line on top of fuel tank.. took months for me to fine it. i had to use cam on stick to find it.. good luck with wedding and check output of converter if you have one
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
good luck with wedding
Apparently you haven't read my other thread...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/i-ha...is-536655.html

Tags
batteries, house batteries