Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #1

Input on This American Eagle?

I'm considering this one for my first Diesel Pusher;

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...l_rv_buyerlead

Wondering if anybody can give any input about this particular year/model. Are there any inherent issues that I need to be on the lookout for?

Listing shows it as a 38' coach but when I looked it up on NADA there were only 40 footers listed, not sure what actual model this is.

I'd also welcome any opinion on value/price. I understand how subjective this is, and I believe this one is in excellent condition with maintenance records and everything in excellent working order.
SWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL View Post
I'm considering this one for my first Diesel Pusher;

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...l_rv_buyerlead

Wondering if anybody can give any input about this particular year/model. Are there any inherent issues that I need to be on the lookout for?

Listing shows it as a 38' coach but when I looked it up on NADA there were only 40 footers listed, not sure what actual model this is.

I'd also welcome any opinion on value/price. I understand how subjective this is, and I believe this one is in excellent condition with maintenance records and everything in excellent working order.
If it's as clean as it looks that's a good buy. I wouldn't worry about the mileage. What engine/transmission does it have?

American Eagle is atop line. I don't see any slide outs, but if it has enough room for you, that's one less thing to worry about.

I looked at a couple but they were out of my price range. I would find out how long the current owner has had it, what has been replaced, age of tires, Refrigerator? Power Invertor/Convertor, Microwave/ Batteries all that stuff cost just as much to replace on an old one as a new one, but read the stories of guys with 2 year old DP's already replacing stuff. Plan on spending 5-10 % of the purchase price every year replacing and fixing and you will be fine.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
If it's as clean as it looks that's a good buy. I wouldn't worry about the mileage. What engine/transmission does it have?

American Eagle is atop line. I don't see any slide outs, but if it has enough room for you, that's one less thing to worry about.

I looked at a couple but they were out of my price range. I would find out how long the current owner has had it, what has been replaced, age of tires, Refrigerator? Power Invertor/Convertor, Microwave/ Batteries all that stuff cost just as much to replace on an old one as a new one, but read the stories of guys with 2 year old DP's already replacing stuff. Plan on spending 5-10 % of the purchase price every year replacing and fixing and you will be fine.
8.3L ISC, 350 Cummins, Alison 6 speed tranny.

It has one slide, driver side. Current owner has had it for about 6-8 years I believe, 2nd owner. 1st owner kept it in climate controlled storage as well so it's always been indoors. Tires are 2 years old, don't know about the rest, but by all accounts it has been very well maintained.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #4

This looks to be a very well looked after vintage Eagle.

These Eagles are very solid, over-built, well designed for ease of ownership both rolling down the road and when set-up at a campground.

There are only 2 common issues on these Eagles and 1 issue with the Cummins ISC:

-The ball-joints boots disintegrate and this will affect the ball-joint lifespan if the owner does not figure out a way to lubricate them. Our Eagle has 115K on the clock and the original ball-joints which get lubed regularly.

-Rust can develop around the cargo bay frames (did not see any evidence of that in the one picture of a cargo bay...I would request additional pictures with all cargo bays open in addition to engine bay pics).

-Exhaust manifolds can develop cracks in certain model years of the ISC engines. I do not know if the 99 ISC's had this issue.

Mileage would be a non-issue as these rigs like to be driven.

I think the lifelong indoor storage justifies the higher asking price and would be well worth it.

Good luck!!
Old 05-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

In addition to the 135,000 miles on the coach, the generator has about 4,200 hours on it. I know the 135k miles isn't a concern, not sure about the 4,200 hrs on the generator, that seems like a lot of run time to me but I don't know what kind of life expectancy they've got.

The vast majority of the miles and hours was put on by the previous owner as I understand it. The current owner has put less than 10,000 miles on in the last 7-8 years.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL View Post
In addition to the 135,000 miles on the coach, the generator has about 4,200 hours on it. I know the 135k miles isn't a concern, not sure about the 4,200 hrs on the generator, that seems like a lot of run time to me but I don't know what kind of life expectancy they've got.

The vast majority of the miles and hours was put on by the previous owner as I understand it. The current owner has put less than 10,000 miles on in the last 7-8 years.

Our generator has around 3800 hours on it. They like to be exercised. You might want to initiate a discussion on Onan 7500 QD's to see what type of longevity others have experienced.

10,000 miles in the last 7-8 years would be a concern unless he/she regularly took the rig out for an exercise run.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
99 Eagle is a nice coach....have a mechanic check it out.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
99 Eagle is a nice coach....have a mechanic check it out.
I would absolutely do so, and I'm interested in this coach. But I think it's just too much money for what it is. I don't love haggling with private sellers, it's much easier with dealers.

Seller has it listed at $65k and, IMO, after a lot of research, and seeing a lot more pics/info on this one, this coach is probably worth low $50's on the high end, and would be a good buy in the high $40's.

I don't want to insult the seller so I think I'll just wait and see if it's still sitting on the market in a few weeks or so.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #9

Nice coach. Premium for the replacement couches and captains chairs. Just have the suspension checked. Air springs and shocks. Second on ball joint inspection. I have 2001 American Dream and currently replacing air springs and shocks.
Jeep151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:57 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Just an FYI on a for sale listing of a 2004 American Coach Eagle 40W

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...eagle_rv-45667
Old 05-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A year or so ago you probably could have bought a nicely kept Eagle for $55k. Today's market, probably not. This is around the "floor" for pricing on a luxury-class DP and condition is everything once they reach this age.

The value to you is something only you can determine, so make your best offer and see what happens.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #12

If your still considering this coach then 2 things.

Open all of the basement cargo bay doors and look at the joint where the floor meets the vertical walls that the floor is suspended from, especially where the holding tanks are located. If there is the slightest gap, that means the steel structure in the floor and the lower vertical walls has rusted and is failing and the floor support bolts are pulling out of the vertical walls. This is very common with these mid to late 90's American coaches. If you see this, walk away from this coach. It's very expensive to have this repaired properly. The entire basement floor has to come down and be rebuilt as well as the vertical walls that support it.

Here is a link to a repair on a 99 Dream.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/bas...ir-468123.html

Secondly, 1999 was a transition year from the mechanical 12 valve C8.3 liter to the 24 valve ISC 8.3 liter. You could have either engine. I would prefer the older mechanical engine personally, simple and easy to work on. Call Spartan Motors with the VIN and they can tell you what's in this coach. The ISC is a good engine but the CAPS fuel system Cummins used on it was problematic and expensive to have it repaired. The biggest issue was the fuel lift pump turns off after a few seconds once the engine starts and the high pressure fuel pump is required the pull the fuel 20 feet or so from the tank which is hard on the pump and these fuel pumps require a good supply of fuel to keep them cool. Some have installed an aftermarket lift pump from a company call FASS (I think) that runs continuous and solves these issues.
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #13

I have one just like it

All of the things mentioned are right on the money. I have replaced all of the items mentioned plus the radiator. It would overheat, and I discovered the fins were just falling off the tubes. It is a great coach! You will not be sorry if you are ready to make the necessary repairs as they come up. I see it is located in Iowa, and so am I. The rust issues are definitely something to look at. I have the original sales receipt for mine, $300,000 in 1999. No one is building one currently that is as good as this one.....
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote