Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #1

Installing exterior LED Strip Lights

I am planning to install a set of exterior LED Strip Lights below the awning on our 2014 Southwind and looking for any suggestions on connecting into the 12-volt power.
We have a Dometic Weather Pro Electric Awning, so I know there is 12-volt coming out through the side wall, however, I can not locate where, without removing the right arm.
Is is coming through at the top and in behind the awning arm or at the bottom?
Is this the best way to tap into the system, or would anyone have a better suggestion.
Lots of You Tube videos on Lights, Awnings etc. but nothing the shows examples of the actual connections.
Also, once inside, should I tap into the Weather Pro panel?
Any suggestions / photos would be appreciated.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #2

If the porch light is located near, then this is also a good source for the 12 volt connection. I fusing the awning arm, you will have to extend the awning out to expose the 12 volt wiring that is laying in the tray of the arm. Good luck, it's easy once you have a 12 volt source. Make sure you purchase weather proof lighting
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

I wired mine to porch light.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #4

Curiosity was getting the better of me today, so I started hunting for the hole where the wires go through the side wall.
I found it at the bottom end of the right support arm in behind a plastic cover.
The unfortunate part is that the wires run up the inside of the wall and are not exposed or accessible from inside the coach.
I also located a hot wire that is accessible from the outside, so no hole drilling required.
Now that I've located a 12-volt hot wire, I will start the install tomorrow.
Thanks to those who replied, much appreciated.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Curiosity was getting the better of me today, so I started hunting for the hole where the wires go through the side wall.
I found it at the bottom end of the right support arm in behind a plastic cover.
The unfortunate part is that the wires run up the inside of the wall and are not exposed or accessible from inside the coach.
I also located a hot wire that is accessible from the outside, so no hole drilling required.
Now that I've located a 12-volt hot wire, I will start the install tomorrow.
Thanks to those who replied, much appreciated.
I have the same rig. I drilled a small hole in the side of the awning channel near the top and ran the led strip power down through the channel and out through the same hole the awning power comes through. I drilled straight through the interior paneling at the back of the hole. After feeding the wire through I resealed the opening with RTV. Inside the rig I used black plastic wire molding on the surface of the wall to route the wires to the controller and power. Most of it is behind the passenger chair and seatbelt so pretty hidden. In my case I have moved the folding table down towards the door so that I can use it while facing the midship tv. Also shortened the table top by about half. The power compartment is directly below so it's a simple matter to drill a hole through the floor at the base of the cabinet (inside the cabinet) at tap power below.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #6

Hi PbdBlue,
Thanks for your detailed wiring description.
I also liked your idea of moving the little table from the stock position to over by the door.
iRV2 has been a great source for information, and in this case, receiving input from someone with the same coach is a bonus.
Thanks again.
Jim
Old 09-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

LED awning light

i have installed a dozen of these LED awning lights in friends trailers. i buy the cool white from Amazon; i look for ribbon lights that have a pair of wires at each end. Because i use the rv trailer's door outside light for my power source, and cover the exposed wires with White Duct tape. running part to the left and the remainder to the left. and by mounting on the trailer wall under the awning, the light works great with your awning open or closed. I have paid between $10 and $15 dollar for each 16 foot reel of ribbon lights. see attached pic.
LED strip.png (176.7 KB)..Click image for larger version

Name:	LED strip.png
Views:	74
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	218617 all the best/
Music CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

I have finally given up on cheap LED's!
I have now gone through 3 sets of the cheap LED's from China.
The connection between the actual LED light strip and the connector craps out after only a few cycles.
I can't see these things lasting any length of time exposed to the elements and road speeds of 60 mph.
The remotes don't work unless you are within 2 feet of the RF receiver.
Don't know why they can't just run the LED wires direct to a power source wire and eliminate the flimsy connection pieces.
Checked out Boogie Lights online and this is exactly what they do.
I will be spending the extra to go with a better quality product and forget this "off shore" crap.
Both Amazon and eBay are great with returns and refunds.

Tags
install, led, light, lights