Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Intellitec Electronic Climate Control…Where is the ECC Control Module?

I went to do my monthly coach run on the road and generator exercise with the 2 air conditioners. While running the generator, I turned on the front AC and the shared solid red light stayed on and never flashed. I then turned on the rear, after the sheading it turned green and rear AC turned on. Then, the front turned from a solid red to green and both were running and working fine. After 2 hours running, it was time to shut the generator off, when I turned the rear AC off, then the front solid red light came back on and the front compressor disengaged. The front would not turn green by itself on any cooling setting. When I changed to fan only, then the light turned green. It seems, the front will not run by itself on cooling.

I tried to find the ECC Control Module to do a series of testing to trouble shoot the problem, and can’t locate it. I looked under the refrigerator and behind the cabinet by the entrance door with the Electronic Controls. I didn’t look behind the electrical breaker box, as that would be the next and only place it could be. Does anyone know where it would be and have you had trouble with them in the past?

Thank You in advance for your assistance and knowledge, any help would be appreciated.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #2

Went to exercise my generator couple months ago and the same thing. Front AC would only run if rear AC was on, turn rear off and it sheds the front AC. Don't have shore power to see if it does the same thing
Radicaltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good News...........
Today, I had a chance to get in the motorhome and do some investigation on my Control Module. Before I did any trouble shooting, I decided to remove all 5 plugs from the module and reattached them to make sure they have a good connection.

I started my generator, and turned on both Air Conditioners and everything worked perfectly. Turned the AC's off, then turned on the rear first, when it finished shedding the light turned green, I turned the front, it did the shedding routine and came on. To make sure, I turned them both off and turned the front on and let it do its shedding before turning on the rear, all is good.

So, I think maybe with time and bad connections from vibration of traveling, reattaching the connections made a better connection for everything to work. While I was in the cabinet, both of my slide modules, water pump module and transfer switches were all in the compact spot. I removed and reattached all the plugs on every module to make sure all the connections are good. I'm happy that was a simple fix, about 2 hours of work and tear down of the rear cabinet side panel.

More projects, I ordered 2 house batteries yesterday, and should be in tomorrow. I went from 232 amp/hr 6 volts to 280 amp/hr 6 volts, which are the largest I can put in my battery area without any modification. I'm eager to see how they perform. I got them from a golf cart dealer, which is what they use and suggest.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you start the MH engine to see if it would do anything weird with the A/C shedding?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Did you start the MH engine to see if it would do anything weird with the A/C shedding?
No, I did not. I didn't think about that or that it was anything that would be connected to interfere with each other. I guess I need to check soon if there is any inference between them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
No, I did not. I didn't think about that or that it was anything that would be connected to interfere with each other. I guess I need to check soon if there is any inference between them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:
Update,
I took out the coach and ran the generator today, then kicked on the front AC, and it was Red no shedding. I sat down thinking, then I remember an article about the Management System. This person was having the same problem and he called tech support. The tech said these units "need" to have 12v current being used by an appliance (light or anything using 12v current) for the Management System to recognize that there is 12v available.

In other words, "if" the system "does not" sense any 12v current flow, then it will not activate the shedding to turn on the AC.

So, while sitting down, I remembered the article, got up turned on the dinning light and turned on the refrigerator (the board uses 12v), then walked over to the AC control and moved it to Auto. Immediately the red light started shedding and after 2 minutes it turned green and came on. I turned on the rear, it also turned green and both were running.

Then, after a few minutes making sure nothing changed, I did what "Waiter21" asked to start the motorhome. I started it and let it run for a few minutes, and the Electrical Management stayed green and was not being affected by the engine running.

So, the trick, the Management System "Needs" to have a 12v being activated by running something that uses 12v. Funny, but everything works.

Come to think about it, in the past I always had the refrigerator on gas when traveling, so when I started the generator for the AC's to run, the refrigator was pulling 12v, and never really thought of that. Anyhow, something to keep in mind. Y'all have a Great Day ...........

OK, wrote this article, then went back to the coach to save it back in the garage, but before I do, want to check it "One More Time".

Well, hell, it did it again, the front red light stayed red and not blinking or shedding. The dining light is on......so what the heck is going on. I slide the front switch up and down and it seems much harder to move than the rear set. So, it seems it is the front control switch and not the rear control module.

I go in the shop and get some contact cleaner, and spray a light spray and work the switch up and down. Yep, it slides way better and much smoother. The green light came on, and now it seems to be working like it should. This, may be my problem since the beginning.

I will watch it, and if it gives me any more trouble, it is gone and I will get another slide switch. I already replaced this switch about 10 years ago, and I would have though it would last longer than this. Ah well, that's life, if I replace the switch, I will keep you posted. But now, the spray seems to work.......
Old 06-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
DARN; I'm out of ideas...

Did you open up the control module and inspect it? i.e. corrosion, burnt components, etc.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
DARN; I'm out of ideas...

Did you open up the control module and inspect it? i.e. corrosion, burnt components, etc.
No, I did not.

I seem to think it is the slide switch in front, as it is beginning to act like it did years ago when I installed a replacement as it is beginning to slide not as well as it did when new. If I have to change parts, I will change slider switch first, then if it stills give trouble, then the module. Thanks for the ideas and support. Will keep y'all informed if any parts or change out.

Tags
intellitec