Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interior Puck Ceiling Lights-2013 Discovery

Hi,
these are on dimmer switches, but even at full power they are kind of yellow and not that bright. Any thoughts of changing the bulbs out for LED's which are nice and bright white? I assume the lenses just twist out?

Thank you
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

I just swapped out my incandescent lights for LEDs at the last Quartzsite event. I tried the LEDs in different colors and found that we preferred the "warm white" over the bluer "white" bulbs. If you look at your furniture and wood under the "warm white" LED bulbs, you will notice that they look better than under the colder color bulbs. Every RVer that did the same test agreed.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Many different 'colors' of white are available in LEDs. Be aware that they can't operate on many dimmer switches. Also when purchasing, pay close attention to the amount of light (lumens) they produce, many inferior ones are being sold.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We just bought about 50 of these lights. They do work with our dimmers. The two tangs are perpendicular to the board and I just bent the 2 tangs 90 degrees and plugged them right in. Order 10 to see if they do what you want first. Takes about 2 weeks for free delivery. They worked great in all of the puck lights we had. They are warm white but the same seller also has them in bright white. We also preferred the warm white. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert

10x Warm White G4 24 1210 SMD LED Light Home Car RV Marine Boat Lamp Bulb DC 12V | eBay
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many thanks Bert, will try them out!
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #6

I just ordered 10 as well. Don't figure that's too expensive to give it a shot. We are not satisfied at all with our Discovery lighting. Woefully inadequate now, so why not.

What I need is someone to explain how to get the lenses off the puck lights without me tearing up something that I cannot fix. I'm fairly handy, but have no history with these. Thx
BigOilJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I need is someone to explain how to get the lenses off the puck lights without me tearing up something that I cannot fix. I'm fairly handy, but have no history with these. Thx[/QUOTE]

Don't know if your rig is similar to my 08 Discovery, but I understand your concern.

The first one I did would not turn, so I asked a tech service guy (wrong guy!). I did the tear-up route...well, broke the heavy glass lens after being instructed to pull straight down on the ceiling puck light. Seeing it revealed that a 1/8 clockwise turn before pulling down would do the trick. With others I used a rubber bottle-cap remover pad to grip them--turned and slid out easily.

BTW, couldn't find a replacement lens, so I super-glued it together. You have to look closely to see the break line. I'll probably call FW sometime to locate a proper replacement.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #8

That's what I'm looking for. Will give it a shot (1/8 turn clockwise), then pull down. Many thanks.
BigOilJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I'm tagging along on this post to see how the OP likes those new LED lights--and whether or not they seem brighter than the factory ones. We also have a 2013 Discovery and the lighting seems a bit dim. I attributed it mainly to the lack of windows compared to other RV's out there, but the lights themself seem dim. It bugs my wife more than me, but you know how that goes...
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #10

Confirming Clockwise Turn

Hi all,

I just found this thread while looking for the same information about removing the puck lense. I just want to confirm that the turn is clockwise (not the standard direction).

thanks,
BandBRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I believe you turn them counter-clockwise to remove...
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, lights