Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 09:00 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Inverter/converter Freedom 458

2005 37U Bounder Diesel:
I bit the bullet after replacing 2 cooling units on Norcold and had a residential installed. Looks fine and runs good on inverter. Was just playing with it to see how long it could go without plugging in or running generator. Plugged in and let batteries get fully charged. Up on control panel, Main Battery 13.57 and Aux Battery 13.47. Unplugged, checked 4 hours later Main @ 12.46, Aux @ 12.36, 2 hours later everything off! Main @ 12.75 Aux @ 12.36. I checked inverter and had red light on "Low Battery/Gel #2" also Red light on "Over Temp/Overload" Plugged back in everything back to normal. Left plugged in about an hour then repeated. same results after about 4 hours. Did check and could hear fan running on inverter. Last time Aux @ 12.3. supposed to kick off at 10.0. Is inverter bad or is that all I should expect to run about 4 hours?
Note Without frig plugged in and coach plugged into shore power. Control panel shows about a 1 amp draw. with frig plugged in showing about 2-3 amps draw.
Also on control panel Main Battery? chassis?? Aux? house batteries??
Thanks to the Guru's

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Buddy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 04:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy W. View Post
2005 37U Bounder Diesel:
I bit the bullet after replacing 2 cooling units on Norcold and had a residential installed. Looks fine and runs good on inverter. Was just playing with it to see how long it could go without plugging in or running generator. Plugged in and let batteries get fully charged. Up on control panel, Main Battery 13.57 and Aux Battery 13.47. Unplugged, checked 4 hours later Main @ 12.46, Aux @ 12.36, 2 hours later everything off! Main @ 12.75 Aux @ 12.36. I checked inverter and had red light on "Low Battery/Gel #2" also Red light on "Over Temp/Overload" Plugged back in everything back to normal. Left plugged in about an hour then repeated. same results after about 4 hours. Did check and could hear fan running on inverter. Last time Aux @ 12.3. supposed to kick off at 10.0. Is inverter bad or is that all I should expect to run about 4 hours?
Note Without frig plugged in and coach plugged into shore power. Control panel shows about a 1 amp draw. with frig plugged in showing about 2-3 amps draw.
Thanks to the Guru's

How old and how many house batteries do you have?
Old 05-21-2022, 05:13 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Unit has 4, 6 volt batteries and 2 chasis batteries. They are about 3-4 years old

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Buddy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Very Good Data

Quote:
2005 37U Bounder Diesel:
Thanks to the Guru's
Just as a rule of thumb, you do not want to run batteries below 12.2VDC.

You mentioned 4 jell batteries lasted about 4 hours before your controller gave you a low voltage reading.

Can you give us the battery type and amp hour?

Also, the current your read (2-3 amps), it sounds like it was read from the 120VAC inverter?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #5

...Plugged in and let batteries get fully charged. Up on control panel, Main Battery 13.57 and Aux Battery 13.47. Unplugged, checked 4 hours later Main @ 12.46, Aux @ 12.36, 2 hours later everything off! Main @ 12.75 Aux @ 12.36.

These numbers show batteries are in good condition. You may have in excess of 400 amp hours available. That should provide 3 amps for 130 hours. 65 hours if you draw down to 50%. 400 ah / 3 a = 133 hours

I checked inverter and had red light on "Low Battery/Gel #2" also Red light on "Over Temp/Overload" Plugged back in everything back to normal. Left plugged in about an hour then repeated. same results after about 4 hours. Did check and could hear fan running on inverter. Last time Aux @ 12.3. supposed to kick off at 10.0. Is inverter bad or is that all I should expect to run about 4 hours?

A compressor refrigerator draws more current when the compressor is running and less when it is not. Was the compressor running when you read the 2-3 amp draw?

After eliminating other possible reasons for low voltage or high temp, then the inverter is probably at fault.

Did any other high current appliance run during the 4 hour period? Perhaps a microwave ran?
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:57 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Power and Cooling

Quote:
Did check and could hear fan running on inverter. Last time Aux @ 12.3. supposed to kick off at 10.0. Is inverter bad or is that all I should expect to run about 4 hours?
The inverter may just be doing its job. Here is the why that suggest this hypothesis:

As your battery voltage went down, the amperage going through the inverter went up. This in turn causes more heat in the inverter, thus the fans kick on.

This is due to the power equation: P=V*I,
In order for a constant power (P) on the left side of the equation, as the voltage (V) goes down the current (I) has to go up.

Hope this helps

Tags
converter, free, inverter