Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Inverter Disconnect?

New to forum and new to my recently purchased 2016 Bounder. When the coach will be sitting on my driveway for periods of time, I will be shutting off both Main and aux. disconnect switches to make sure there is no drain on the batteries. At that point should the Inverter be disconnected as well with that large red switch next to the inverter?
bepar108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
New to forum and new to my recently purchased 2016 Bounder. When the coach will be sitting on my driveway for periods of time, I will be shutting off both Main and aux. disconnect switches to make sure there is no drain on the batteries. At that point should the Inverter be disconnected as well with that large red switch next to the inverter?
What's the large red switch for? Don't have one on my 07. Can you post a picture of the switch. Also, can you trace the wires & determine if they do indeed feed the inverter?

I don't think anybody can answer your question w/o knowing what the large red switch is for. If you shut the inverter off it "should" stay off but I have seen a recent post where the poster stated the inverter is turning on by itself.

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:42 AM   #3

That is what the big red switch is for. An "off" inverter still has circuitry running. That is why the remote can turn the inverter on and off.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Whenever stored for a while, I turn the big red switch off to make sure there is no possibility of a parasitic drain on the house batteries. Rick
Old 11-06-2016, 04:23 AM   #5

Bounder Inverter

Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering if any of you know if there is an electrical outlet that the inverter does not supply. In other words, I am looking for an outlet that works when hooked to shore power, and goes dead when shore power is cut off. I need such an outlet for a phone dialing alarm that senses the power going out in that outlet and sends out an alarm. It's called a freeze alarm, which monitors temperature and power in the rv and calls out alarms that you set parameters for.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #6

You need to disconnect from shore power, turn on inverter and test each outlet to determine what outlets are run from inverter and what outlets are not.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering if any of you know if there is an electrical outlet that the inverter does not supply. In other words, I am looking for an outlet that works when hooked to shore power, and goes dead when shore power is cut off. I need such an outlet for a phone dialing alarm that senses the power going out in that outlet and sends out an alarm. It's called a freeze alarm, which monitors temperature and power in the rv and calls out alarms that you set parameters for.
The way I understand it is that ALL 120v outlets NOT on the inverter circuits should be powered by shore/genset power.
I never tried it but I wonder if the inverter circuits will also be powered as the inverter circuits will simply pass through the shore power when present.
Mine is in storage right now so can't test but would be simple to test. Disconnect the inverter with the red battery disconnect. Plug into shore power and check the outlets.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

My inverter and most others pass generator or shore power thru.

Example
We are boondocking running the TV and Dish STB on inverter. Need to start the generator to use the convection microwave. When the generator starts a few seconds later the transfer switch kicks in. The inverter will pass the circuit it was powering over to the power supplied by the generator. This happens so fast the tv and STB are uneffected. The inverter "should" go into standby mode. When the generator is not needed anymore and is shut down the invertet will take back over w/o effecting the TV or STB. I say "should" because with my inverter, a Xantrex Freedom their have been a couple time where it did not go into standby and when I killed the genset the TV and STB lost power. I then had to switch the inverter on and wait 10 minutes for the antenna to reaquire the satellite. Not cool when the DW was in the middle of watching her favorite program!
Now i try to make it a habbit to check the inverter to make sure its in S.B. B4 killng the genset!
Also, another note of interest. When the inverter is on and now demand for 120vac the inverter will throttle down the voltage. It pops back up to 110 -120 volts when the its needed.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

If you have shore power available in storage, your inverter (if it is an inverter/charger) will keep a float charge on your batteries. If no shore power is available or you have an inverter only, you may have to disconnect the batteries to stop any parasitic drain.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Oh ... welcome to iRV2
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #11

Good point by Tim! Dont let those batteries get below 12 volts!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #12

Thanx

You guys all stand up to what is said about the members of iRV2. You are very informative and generous with that information. I did find an outlet that will go dead when shore power is lost. Now I can use my power and temperature alarm with all its features and feel secure that my dogs will be in a temperature safe zone while we play tourist for a few hours.
Also, thanks for the welcome.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #13

Im out here in boondock land. I respond to most of these posts on my smart phone. I try to proofread br sending but i dont catch it all. Sorry for some of the spelling errors! LOL

Tags
inverter