Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
On the newer boulders, you would need to run the inverter whenever you are not hooked to shore power or the gen is not running due to your residential fridge. That being said, I would shut it off when hooked to shore power or on gen. No need to keep it running. As others have said, if you are the forgetful type, just leave it on but I see know reason to do so when I can just flip it on when ready to travel. I don't have a residential fridge but if we don't need roof air going down the road, I use the inverter for tv. Cheaper than running the gen. I also flip on the inverter a few minutes before we are ready to unhook, that way my in motion satellite does not have to start searching all over again when we unplug.

If you shut off inverter when hooked to SP, when you leave your rig and power should fail for some reason your residential refrigerator would not be powered. With inverter on it would. We leave inverter on 100% but we full time.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 05:20 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
If you shut off inverter when hooked to SP, when you leave your rig and power should fail for some reason your residential refrigerator would not be powered. With inverter on it would. We leave inverter on 100% but we full time.

I get it, but are you really gone long enough for the thing to defrost? I would rather limit my use to traveling or boondocking but like I said, if your more comfortable or perhaps forgetful and migh not remember to turn it on when leaving, by all means leave it on.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
The sat dish on mine is 12v so the inverter has no impact to it's power. If your tv/sat box (both 120v) is on maybe the dish goes into searching again because the tv is being turned off and then on again if the inverter is not on when you do the switch over?

Correct, if the inverter has not been on for at least a few minutes, the transer is not quick enough and the tvs pop off for a second and that forces the whole system to reset. Cant remember exactly but i know its not the sat itself. Its the box or the tvs or perhaps both. Either way, turning on the inverter a few minutes before leaving solves the problem.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
So if we have a 2003 Fleetwood Providence with a replaced invertor, leave it off when plugged into shore power? Or on? Leave it on "invert" when driving, correct?
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
So if we have a 2003 Fleetwood Providence with a replaced invertor, leave it off when plugged into shore power? Or on? Leave it on "invert" when driving, correct?

As I said in our 06 Fleetwood Bounder DP we have full timed for the last 7 years and leave the inverter on full time.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #20

17 Bounder Inverter question (late to this thread)

I appreciate the good questions and comments about the inverter.

I am new to the RV lifestyle and I'm about to take a trip from Midwest to Cali so I'm also trying to understand the inverter more.

Is there any secondary effects of leaving the inverter on all the time? Do i need to turn it off to prevent damage to anything while not driving, ie batteries? I'm searching for the manual now to get further info.
SMITHMJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #21

Unless you have a residential frig and don’t want to run genny don’t see any reason to turn it on.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #22

The only time my inverter is Off is when in storage (I also shut off the red disconnect switch between the inverter and the house batteries). I have a residential fridge, which you probably have, also. The engine battery should keep the house batteries charged while going down the road. Even though I have a Fleetwood DP, I've found house portion is pretty similar in design, components and build to a Bounder.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #23
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfarm View Post
I wish they had a book like they do for computers and everything else it seems. First, Do you have the inverter "ON" when hooked to Shore Power. Secondly, do you run the inverter, say on an 8 hour drive to help keep the refrigerator running or will the batterys support it? In her notes from the walk thru with "Speedy", she wrote down he said to keep the inverter off when hooked to shore power.
On our 2017 Bounder 35K the inverter never gets shut off. We have had no problems doing it this way. When you pull the power the inverter kicks in automatically.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question on Inverter

Last week went camping for several days and when I got to the campground I opened the refrigerator and it showed no internal light so I knew it was not running. The inverter was turned on but was not transfering any power from the batteries. I got the manual out and it showed me how to do a reset. I did this and once again I had power at the refrigerator whn no hooked up to the power pole. What could have caused this to happen. We have has some storms in the last couple of weeks, could a lightening strike or a power outage cause this to happen?
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter