Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
thank you all

mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
IMHO the diesel removes all obstacles that may sway your travel plans. I have friends with gassers that will not consider any trips with mountains. The DP will be superior pulling mountains. Used diesel to pull my 5er and now have DP.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
I have friends with gassers that will not consider any trips with mountains.
They must have one of those coaches that has the warning label on the sunvisor that says "Operating this vehicle in mountains can cause injury or death". Always check for this before purchasing an RV.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
IMHO the diesel removes all obstacles that may sway your travel plans. I have friends with gassers that will not consider any trips with mountains. The DP will be superior pulling mountains. Used diesel to pull my 5er and now have DP.
I understand that feeling. I always felt like the gas ser was going to explode in the mountain s. Don't get that feel from the diesel.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go with a diesel now rather than later. Had 33ft gas bounder loved floor plan but spent 3000.00 +++ trying to get it to drive close to safe... If u go gas better drive it on a full out interstate to feel the pain... Have a 38ft fleetwood expedition 2005 and it drives with pleasure....GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #20

Based on your original statement, GAS is the way to go.

1. Just think about all the gas you can purchase with the $30,000 you did not spend on the DP model.

2. Much cheaper when it comes to Maint.

3. Based on the miles you plan on driving per year, it will last forever.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
2. Much cheaper when it comes to Maint.
To much hype on the maint of a pusher. Oil changes cost more but you only have to change once per year compared to perhaps 2 or 3 with a gasser. There are other maint items but overall there is not a huge difference and the price of diesel is usually offset by the extra mpg the diesel offers.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
FYI diesel is far cheaper then gas in Canada.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
On a strictly financial basis, no it is not. The diesel costs more up front, costs more to maintain & repair, and maybe even costs a bit more to operate. On the other hand, you will love driving the diesel-powered chassis, love the rear engine (far less noise), love the air suspension, etc. etc. So it's more like an extra $30 grand for a mistress than for something you need.
I HOPE you're not comparing your wife to a gasser

I currently have a 37' Mountain Aire Gasser (yet to be unloaded) and just purchased a 45' Essex DP

I live in FL and take long weekend trips once a month. This July will be our first 2 week trip and planning on a month long trip in 2014 out west.

I went back and forth on this subject especially the money issue and for US it came down to comfort.

My wife HATES driving the gasser at 37' but LOVES driving the 45' DP.

Gas MH - NOISY and we both HATE the doghouse
DP MH - so darn quiet since the engine's in the rear. Even with the generator running it's quieter than the Gasser

STABILITY

Gas MH - I felt every wind gust and bump in I-4 and I-75
DP MH - I set the cruise and it's so smooth due to heavier weight and airbags

COSTS

Gas MH - Gas is cheaper, routine maintenance less but since we're in this for the long haul how much more than 100K can you get out of a Ford V10?

DP MH - Diesel is more expensive, Maintenance 3x the gasser but I really feel that I can keep this unit for 3 times longer than the gasser and not be worrying about engine problems plus driving this in the Smokies was a piece of cake while the gasser - well THAT I didn't like.

It's all personal choice. From an investment POV either a gas or DP will depreciate and you'll lose $.

Our motto is this: We only live once and let's enjoy the blessings that we've worked for while we're still young and can enjoy them.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
... how much more than 100K can you get out of a Ford V10?
We drove our Bounder about 5,000 miles last year. At that rate, the "house" is going to be worn out long before the V10. (And I'd venture to say that a well cared-for gas engine is good for well over 100k nowadays.)

The gas vs diesel debate has been raging for years. The bottom line is that each situation is unique and each of us has to choose the best fit for us.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
For the way you explained how it was going to be used, a gas model with the floorplan you all like would suit you well! Some of the reply's a person gets when comparing a DP and a gasser is is ridiculous. We started in a 2006 35E Bounder, and had a great time!! NO white knuckle driving, trying to keep it in your lane all the time, Did not have to SCREAM at the wife to have a conversation. Save your money and start with whatever makes you both happy-Good luck and have a GOOD time!! By the way thousands of gassers went all over this beautiful country even before we had all the interstates,and have lived to tell about their travels.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Millage

Mike,
Bought the 2013 Excursion 35B and we love it. We go out every other weekend sometimes more. Wife and I work full-time. The fuel millage is awesome. So far 13.4 mpg. I also pull a trailer with golf cart on it. Perfect size for 6 people.
Ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I initialy purchased a Monaco DP the deal fell thru and my wife picked the Pace Arow at first viewing and I've still been looking at Monaco Signatures with tag as well as some other higher end units and so far I have not found one I would be willing to spend the extra money on.

However it has cost some upgrading to the PA, aluminum wheels, MCD shades, electric power cord reel, interior light fixtures, dream dinette, TV upgrades etc but so far it fits my requirements. With the 8.1 engine and grade brake I have absolutely no roadability problems even with towing a 08 MKX as well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
It seems to me your use of the MH will not justify the cost of the DP. We have all diesel rigs and wouldn't have gas, but we're retired and now rely on rigs to out last us!! With a 5 year old I would think you have lots of time to enjoy a gasser and down the road when you and your wife are ready to retire and know your going to use your MH more than on a few weekends and a few weeks a year.....a DP will be on your hit list for sure. But now, I'd save the 30K and enjoy the gasser.