Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is to us!!
That's the only ones that matter!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If we had planned on snow birding we might have gotten a gas unit, we were planning on traveling so we went with a DP.
Still haven't been able to travel due to step daughter dying and us taking the two grandkids, one still in school and the older has moved out. Had we known we might have gone gas, then bought a DP when we actually start full timing.
But I don't regret the DP either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Although "ALL" RV'S are money pits and do not make you money........The diesel is still by far an easier reseller in my opinion. That's what "Most" people want.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Based on how you say you will be using it I would go with gas. Less expensive to start with and less expensive to maintain. Some people buy diesel as they think it is a status symbol an like to boast that they have a DP. I paid less than half of the amount you are talking about saving if you buy a gas unit. Has a great floor plan and a tag axel for stability. Has a slide also. Only has 53,000 miles and will last us a long time based on how we use it. Just my $.02 Hope I haven't made anybody mad with the above statement.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know about a status symbol but 500 or 600 HP would sure feel good.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Fan View Post
Based on how you say you will be using it I would go with gas. Less expensive to start with and less expensive to maintain. Some people buy diesel as they think it is a status symbol an like to boast that they have a DP. I paid less than half of the amount you are talking about saving if you buy a gas unit. Has a great floor plan and a tag axel for stability. Has a slide also. Only has 53,000 miles and will last us a long time based on how we use it. Just my $.02 Hope I haven't made anybody mad with the above statement.
If you're basing a decision just on money alone then yeah, go with a gasser MH or better yet, go with a trailer trailer - that will save you even $60K or more.

I can tell by your statement that you've never owned a DP; it's easy to justify what we have and rationalize our decisions that way - I know I was there.

However the plus's that a DP has over a gasser MH are many and until you've actually experienced them you'll never appreciate them, once again speaking from personal experience.

Oh yeah one other thing to consider: depreciation. Which unit will lose more of it's value in 10 years, a gas MH or a DP MH?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
From a driving point of view, there's undeniable benefits of the DP; more power, smoother, quieter and a DP allows you to have larger mhs but if you aren't looking for a larger mh, once you are parked, the gasser pretty much does exactly the same as the DP. You'll most likely get better mileage from a DP but in most places diesel is significantly more expensive than gas so your actual fuel cost will likely be more with diesel (When I bought our DP, I was actually thinking it would cost me less per mile for fuel but although my mileage has improved our actual fuel cost per mile is about the same (although we're bigger, heavier and usually have our toad now)). Also, never having owned a diesel before, I've never noticed but a lot of gas stations do not sell diesel and many of the ones that do, only have it at one pump. It's possible that DPs depreciate less than gassers (although personally I'm skeptical and I think it's about the same) but your price price on the DP is higher so your actual depreciation on the DP is higher (e.g. 100k gasser losing 15% / year will be worth $45k after 5 years, 200k DP losing 12% / year will be worth $105k after 5 years. The gasser will have lost 55% of it's value while the DP only lost 45% but your actual depreciation cost will be $55k with the gasser vs $95k for the DP.

Although we have a DP, I actually prefer side entry vs front entry so while it's nice not having the doghouse, I think I prefer having a doghouse and side door vs no doghouse and front door.

IMO, forget about powertrain unless you really have a reason you want / need diesel (e.g. size, towing requirement, etc) and just focus on the floorplan. For every day we spend driving the motor home, we probably easily spend 10 days living in it ...

It's a bit like comparing Lexus vs Toyota. If you ask most people, they'd rather drive a Lexus than a Toyota but how many Lexus owners are there vs Toyota owners ...
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
From a driving point of view, there's undeniable benefits of the DP; more power, smoother, quieter and a DP allows you to have larger mhs but if you aren't looking for a larger mh, once you are parked, the gasser pretty much does exactly the same as the DP. You'll most likely get better mileage from a DP but in most places diesel is significantly more expensive than gas so your actual fuel cost will likely be more with diesel (When I bought our DP, I was actually thinking it would cost me less per mile for fuel but although my mileage has improved our actual fuel cost per mile is about the same (although we're bigger, heavier and usually have our toad now)). Also, never having owned a diesel before, I've never noticed but a lot of gas stations do not sell diesel and many of the ones that do, only have it at one pump. It's possible that DPs depreciate less than gassers (although personally I'm skeptical and I think it's about the same) but your price price on the DP is higher so your actual depreciation on the DP is higher (e.g. 100k gasser losing 15% / year will be worth $45k after 5 years, 200k DP losing 12% / year will be worth $105k after 5 years. The gasser will have lost 55% of it's value while the DP only lost 45% but your actual depreciation cost will be $55k with the gasser vs $95k for the DP.

Although we have a DP, I actually prefer side entry vs front entry so while it's nice not having the doghouse, I think I prefer having a doghouse and side door vs no doghouse and front door.

IMO, forget about powertrain unless you really have a reason you want / need diesel (e.g. size, towing requirement, etc) and just focus on the floorplan. For every day we spend driving the motor home, we probably easily spend 10 days living in it ...

It's a bit like comparing Lexus vs Toyota. If you ask most people, they'd rather drive a Lexus than a Toyota but how many Lexus owners are there vs Toyota owners ...
I agree with most of your points, (except the dredded doghouse) until the last paragraph in red.

A Lexus is basically a Toyota with some upgrades - engines are both in the front, towing capacity identical, the biggest difference between Lexus and Toyota is SERVICE. Having owned both the customer service with my Lexus was absolutely incredible and puts Acura, Mercedes and others to shame. The reason for that - I paid a 25% premium for the Lexus.

A DP is a better performing vehicle than a Gasser for a person who spends lots of time on the road. Once you're parked and hooked to shore power then yes really no difference. However if you don't have shore power and use the generator I find a huge difference having the generator in the front instead of under my bedroom, especially at 2 am! (yes in Florida in the summer you NEED to have the AC powered at 2 am).

Financially I've said it before, the gas MH is the 'logical' choice as it costs less $$$ upfront. But as my wife will tell anyone I'm not always logical, life doesn't always come down to purchasing the less expensive thing and finally there are some things that you just can't put a price tag on

Whether it's a gas MH or a DP spending a weekend in either one is better than a day in the office
Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I HOPE you're not comparing your wife to a gasser

I currently have a 37' Mountain Aire Gasser (yet to be unloaded) and just purchased a 45' Essex DP

I live in FL and take long weekend trips once a month. This July will be our first 2 week trip and planning on a month long trip in 2014 out west.

I went back and forth on this subject especially the money issue and for US it came down to comfort.

My wife HATES driving the gasser at 37' but LOVES driving the 45' DP.

Gas MH - NOISY and we both HATE the doghouse
DP MH - so darn quiet since the engine's in the rear. Even with the generator running it's quieter than the Gasser

STABILITY

Gas MH - I felt every wind gust and bump in I-4 and I-75
DP MH - I set the cruise and it's so smooth due to heavier weight and airbags

COSTS

Gas MH - Gas is cheaper, routine maintenance less but since we're in this for the long haul how much more than 100K can you get out of a Ford V10?

DP MH - Diesel is more expensive, Maintenance 3x the gasser but I really feel that I can keep this unit for 3 times longer than the gasser and not be worrying about engine problems plus driving this in the Smokies was a piece of cake while the gasser - well THAT I didn't like.

It's all personal choice. From an investment POV either a gas or DP will depreciate and you'll lose $.

Our motto is this: We only live once and let's enjoy the blessings that we've worked for while we're still young and can enjoy them.
On Craig's list here just about every gasser with over 60,000 miles is advertising a rebuilt engine that made my decision to buy a DP much easier as I intend to have mine a long time
2005 Bounder 38n Cat C-7
2004 Durango Hemi Toad
AndyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They may be good for over 100,000 miles in an automobile or light truck but this is extreme duty for a gas engine designed for a pickup truck IMHO
AndyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #39

I have recently bought a 1999 south wind 35 ft with a v10 and I was not sure I would like the gas engine but after having driven it a few thousand miles pulling a closed in trailer with sand toys I am very happy with it.I got it from a private party that added every extra they could when they bought it.the best thing I like is the instant hot water system .the coach is just what I was looking g for.I am also a diesel fan since I drive a dodge.I had thoughts of putting g a Cummings in it but not now.
neilwf is offline   Reply With Quote