Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Is there a lemon law for RVs???

I purchased a new 2018 Fleetwood Discovery 40G in July, 2017. To date I've owned it for 8 months, BUT it has spent 7 months in the shop for various issues on warranty work. Has anyone ever tried to get a refund from an RV manufacturer based on the "lemon law" like they do with automobiles? If so, can you give me suggestions on where to start? BTW, I've contacted Fleetwood and Camping World numerous times and have gotten nowhere.
HuskerRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lemon laws are a state by state thing. There is no uniform Federal law on them.
Some states an RV is not covered, in some only the chassis is covered and then only for safety defects in others the whole rig is covered.
One Type B mh we bought came with nice chrome wheels but they were not rated for the weight and two of them broke. MH was made in Canada and sold by a dealer in the US. Doing some research led me to the import laws and then the finding that it was illegal to import with those wheels on it. The only wheels that would carry the weight were Alcoa. A few letters back and forth and they sent me a check for 4 new Alcoa wheels.
Last Type A MH came with a 12,000# front axle but it weighed 12,050 if I filled the fuel tank before we ever loaded anything or got into the rig. Some back and forth messages, a check over and weighing along with a letter to the manufacturer got them to replace that axle with a 14,700# unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact a lawyer who specializes in this type of law. That is the only way to get a true answer.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

The problem is Camping World. Your best bet is to make an appointment at the REV service center in Decatur. They were fantastic to deal with when we took our American Coach there for our warranty work.
We bought from Camping World knowing it would never see another Camping World lot.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

What type of issues are you having ? We got a lxe 44H and have had only a few issues with it seems to be well put together
Paulandapril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This can only be put one way, Camping World sucks.

In New York RVs are treated the same as cars (with the exception of the inter structure (furnaces, hot water heaters, etc.))

NY says if the vehicle has been in the shop for the same problem four of more times OR it has been in the shop for a total of 45 days for any repairs in the first 18 months of ownership, it is a lemon.

Glenn Lever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
This can only be put one way, Camping World sucks.

In New York RVs are treated the same as cars (with the exception of the inter structure (furnaces, hot water heaters, etc.))

NY says if the vehicle has been in the shop for the same problem four of more times OR it has been in the shop for a total of 45 days for any repairs in the first 18 months of ownership, it is a lemon.

Glenn Lever
OP isn't in New York though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
OP isn't in New York though.

The question was "Has anyone ever tried to get a refund from an RV manufacturer based on the "lemon law" li"

I was just responding to the question asked.

Glenn Lever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the coach was purchased in Nebraska you're out of luck. Trailers and motorhomes are not covered plus the coach would have to be at the manufacturer's service facility. A corporate lawyer will quickly point out that Camping World and Fleetwood are two separate entities.

https://www.dmv.org/ne-nebraska/auto.../lemon-law.php.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club

4 minutes to 16 minutes is a lot of good info.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #11

I second taking it to the factory repair center. Not your dream trip I know but those guys will fix it!
Sorry for your trouble and good luck.
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #12

I am a lawyer but do not specialize in lemon law. Every state has different laws. I am liscensed in CA and the lemon law there is only for new cars. If a new car is in the shop 5 or more times in the first year or 30 consecutive days it may be considered a lemon. But used cars RVs and other products are protected by Federal Law called the Maggison Moss Act. The rule is generally that the product must perform as it was intended to perform. The buyer must make an reasonable attempt to allow the manufacture to cure the defects. It sounds like you have made a reasonable attempt. I would contact a lawyer in your area who specializes in this area of law.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #13

Make an appointment with REV at Decatur In before it’s out of warranty. I’ve never had my coach anywhere else service.

Good luck
Pointrow
Old 03-10-2018, 04:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerRED View Post
I purchased a new 2018 Fleetwood Discovery 40G in July, 2017. To date I've owned it for 8 months, BUT it has spent 7 months in the shop for various issues on warranty work. Has anyone ever tried to get a refund from an RV manufacturer based on the "lemon law" like they do with automobiles? If so, can you give me suggestions on where to start? BTW, I've contacted Fleetwood and Camping World numerous times and have gotten nowhere.

Are they safety issues? Are the problems from a incompetent repair facility that can’t repair properly? It’s sad but most dealers don’t know what in the h!!! they are doing to repair or maybe just a quality control problem they only sell and hope you go away. I had a front tire blow out damage and had to refuse 3 times because they put the wrong wheel on before they would finally listen. Set up a appointment with manufacturer and forget the lawyer and just get it fixed.

Tags
rvs