Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2022, 07:16 AM   #1

Isolate power to refrigerator

I didn't see a Holiday Rambler or REV Group conversation in the Owner's corner, so sorry for posting here....

Have a 2021 Holiday Rambler Invicta 34MB and trying to isolate just the refrigerator so that I can still run everything else but not the refrigerator. I've tried every breaker and fuse I can find that's even remotely labeled something like a refrigerator (and many others) and I can't seem to figure it out without killing most of the power in the coach.

It's not a huge deal, but from time to time I've wanted to use the RV without the refrigerator. This weekend for example, I'm using it in my driveway as a "guest bedroom" for overflow (family reunion) and they don't really need the fridge

Any help appreciated.
kgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2022, 07:29 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You are posted in the correct place. Current Holiday Ramblers are basically the same as Fleetwoods so this is the best place.

You didn't specify if you have an absorption fridge or a residential. An absorption fridge you can unplug power in the outside access panel. A residential should have a dedicated 120v breaker and some can be turned off at their control panels.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgates View Post
I didn't see a Holiday Rambler or REV Group conversation in the Owner's corner, so sorry for posting here....

Have a 2021 Holiday Rambler Invicta 34MB and trying to isolate just the refrigerator so that I can still run everything else but not the refrigerator. I've tried every breaker and fuse I can find that's even remotely labeled something like a refrigerator (and many others) and I can't seem to figure it out without killing most of the power in the coach.

It's not a huge deal, but from time to time I've wanted to use the RV without the refrigerator. This weekend for example, I'm using it in my driveway as a "guest bedroom" for overflow (family reunion) and they don't really need the fridge

Any help appreciated.

Why not just turn fridge off it has to have a on and off switch.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #4

Thanks

I’m not sure anbout absorption, but it says “residential” on the control. Which, unfortunately only has a cool to coldest setting. No “off” setting on the control panel for the refrigerator or freezer section.

There is a breaker panel in the bedroom and one of the breakers is labeled “inverter/refrig” but tripping that breaker doesn’t have any effect on the refrigerator.

There’s also no outside access panel to find a plug.

My assumption is that the breakers are mislabeled and I’ll have to do some trial and error unfortunately. Or try to find someone with a wire tone generator. I can see the Rolex labeled refrigerator running by the drawer under the stove. I just can’t visually find where either end terminates.

Do manufacturers publish wiring diagrams?

Thanks again
Old 06-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unplug it if you can't find the breaker assuming that the plug is accessible. Or look in the owners manual on how to turn it off, it may be referenced as "Display mode." It still lights up but turns off the cooling.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

Per your owners manual ---- INSIGNIA Refrigerator

OFF mode
Press and hold the SET button for three seconds to set your refrigerator compartment to the OFF setting, the refrigerator and freezer compartments both stop cooling.
The refrigerator compartment light continues to work.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #7

Thanks Old-Biscuit

That’s not anywhere in my manual, but I tried it anyway. 3 and 10 seconds didn’t do anything, but after about 25 seconds the LEDs 1, 3 & 5 all light up and it sounded like the compressor shut down. I’ll leave it for a few hours and see if it warms up.

There’s no code in the manual for those 3 lights being on, so hoping for the best.

Much appreciated!!
Old 06-11-2022, 07:45 PM   #8

I just use the breaker. The fridge is on its own breaker in the 120v panel box. No way of mess up the combination of buttons on the fridge. I flip the breaker and it is 100% off
Old 06-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Old-Biscuit

That’s not anywhere in my manual, but I tried it anyway. 3 and 10 seconds didn’t do anything, but after about 25 seconds the LEDs 1, 3 & 5 all light up and it sounded like the compressor shut down. I’ll leave it for a few hours and see if it warms up.

There’s no code in the manual for those 3 lights being on, so hoping for the best.

Much appreciated!!
Did it turn OFF?

What Model is your Fridge?
Old 06-12-2022, 01:31 PM   #10

Looks like the same as a Bounder to me.
My Bounder has a 120v breaker just for the fridge. Look in the breaker panel and see if it is labeled as such.
Yes, electrical schematics were available. Contact the customer service 800 number to request. I have most of mine. Know what you want and don't say send everything.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks

I’m not sure anbout absorption, but it says “residential” on the control. Which, unfortunately only has a cool to coldest setting. No “off” setting on the control panel for the refrigerator or freezer section.

There is a breaker panel in the bedroom and one of the breakers is labeled “inverter/refrig” but tripping that breaker doesn’t have any effect on the refrigerator.

There’s also no outside access panel to find a plug.

My assumption is that the breakers are mislabeled and I’ll have to do some trial and error unfortunately. Or try to find someone with a wire tone generator. I can see the Rolex labeled refrigerator running by the drawer under the stove. I just can’t visually find where either end terminates.

Do manufacturers publish wiring diagrams?

Thanks again
Sounds like you have a residential refer with a dedicated inverter. When you turn off the "Inverter/Refer" circuit breaker the inverter sees the loss of shore power and switches to inverting mode. Turn off the "Inverter/refer" breaker and the inverter separately on it's control panel or remote and your refer should be turned off completely.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #12

Update...

Holding the "set" button for 30 (and later 60) seconds didn't turn it off - it went back to normal mode after a little bit. Not sure exactly how long, but I went back out to check to see if it had gotten warmer after about an hour and it was running as normal again.

So, summary....
RV: 2021 Holiday Rambler Invicta 34MB
Refrig: Insignia NS-RTM12SS7L
Connected to 50A shorepower
Nothing in manual regarding shutting down unit
No found time to hold "SET" button will turn it off (held for over 60sec)
All breakers in RV off and still running
Turning off Inverter (via remote switch) WILL shutoff refrig but also shuts off many other desired items
Unable to unplug refrig

That last part is new - I found that if I removed the drawer under the stove (next to fridge), I can SEE the fridge plug. Unfortunately there are support pieces in the way and its too far from the drawer opening to be humanly accessible. I could probably get something in there to pry the plug out of the outlet, but there's no way I could ever plug it back in. I'll keep looking for an access point.

Two things seem odd - no breaker to turn off the fridge and no documented way from Insignia to turn off fridge....
Old 06-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #13

OK......with Model Number manual shows plugging it in turns it ON

No on/off switch or controls for on/off

Sounds Like your Inverter is wired directly for fridge and string of outlets
Old 06-13-2022, 03:23 PM   #14

It would be very very odd (and probably against code) for the fridge not to be on a breaker. Perhaps there is another panel location with the fridge breaker that is separate from all the rest (maybe near the inverter?)

I would be calling REV and asking about this

Tags
power, refrigerator