Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Junk in fuel, how big a problem?

On my '05 Discovery. I occasionally drain the fuel/water separator as instructed on the fuel filler door. Usually I just drain on the ground, but this time I decided to drain into a small plastic cup. I didn't find any water, but I did find gunk (sandy looking stuff and something that looks like a very small leaf). I guess this is somewhat normal in an 11 year old coach. How big a problem? It is before the two filters so hopefully they are doing their job. Incidentally, I just had two new filters installed three months ago.

Does anyone have their tanks drained and flushed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel from water separator_resized.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	130639  
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You could just monitor the filters for a while. See how dirty they are at the next filter change. This will probably involve cutting them open to inspect.

If the filters are showing lots of rust and crud, then allow tank to almost empty. Dropping a full tank makes things much more difficult. Empty or close to it will make it a simpler procedure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It becomes a big problem if it gets to the injectors, that's the reason for 2 fuel filters. if you use quality fuel filters, they will trap all that crud. Often it comes from the underground tanks where we fuel up if they don't filter at the pump or keep their filters clean. I've seen worse.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The dirt is supposed to collect on the filter itself, with just water in the bowl drain. Are you sure the dirt isn't a result of draining (knocked off surrounding stuff)?

I would be worried if it persists in future samples (multiple tanks of fuel), cause a lot of grunge in the tank will sooner or later likely get by the filters and harm the injectors. The filters are good, but not guaranteed 100% effective over the long term. May be time to get the tank cleaned.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update

Just got back from a trip from San Antonio to Napa CA. During the trip, the gunk in the fuel got worse. The coach started to lose power, so I had the fuel filters changed in Albuquerque.

I took the coach to Holt Cat in san antonio and asked them to flush the tank. The service manager called and said the tank was really full of rust and they needed to send it to a specialty shop to be cleaned. $3000 later I have the coach back. Pretty glad I had them take care of it.

Any pointers for keeping it clean? Will water sequestering fuel additives prevent rust?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Rust in your fuel tank is a result of water caused by condensation. You can minimize this by making sure your tanks are full of fuel when you store he coach for any long period. I make a habit of filling up before I put it away, even if it's only gonna be fopr a few weeks.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, I do that too. I bought the coach in November so I don't know what the PO did.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Rust in your fuel tank is a result of water caused by condensation. You can minimize this by making sure your tanks are full of fuel when you store he coach for any long period. I make a habit of filling up before I put it away, even if it's only gonna be fopr a few weeks.
Excellent Advice- use it or loose it comes into play here ! - Every day on here I read about Fuel issues and most are from long term storage issues.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel