Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
KVH Satellite TV Dome

I am interested in removing the old black KVH dome from the roof of my 2007 Excursion. Has anyone ever done this? How difficult is it to seal things up? I want to go with DISH and need to decide on what equipment to buy. I've thought about mounting one their dish antennas up there and using the current cables from the old dome.
BruceNeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #2

It's very easy. I removed my KVH dome from 2 different motor homes I've owned. My current and previous coach both have a Winegard HD

When I removed the KVH. I used a small piece of roof flashing and secured the flashing over the hole that had the power wire and coaxial cable using Tek screws. I then applied a coat of Dicor over the flashing and screw heads. I also applied Dicor over the holes that secured the KVH to the roof. It's not real pretty but basically all I was interested in was sealing the roof. The plus side is you can't see the repair unless you stand on the roof and that doesn't happen that often.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
It's very easy. I removed my KVH dome from 2 different motor homes I've owned. My current and previous coach both have a Winegard HD

When I removed the KVH. I used a small piece of roof flashing and secured the flashing over the hole that had the power wire and coaxial cable using Tek screws. I then applied a coat of Dicor over the flashing and screw heads. I also applied Dicor over the holes that secured the KVH to the roof. It's not real pretty but basically all I was interested in was sealing the roof. The plus side is you can't see the repair unless you stand on the roof and that doesn't happen that often.
So, how do you get the satellite dish cable into the motor home? My coach only has an input for cable TV and while parked in a campground I use that. I have the multi input/output box up front that takes all the signals and sends them to my 3 tvs. To include park cable, ota, DVD, etc.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
You can I believe use the coax and power cable if the KVH had them and just run to the new dish assuming you want a roof mounted dish. A traveler or mogul auto dish can just mount over the top of the old kvh location if there is room to maneuver the dish around its fold dow position.use divorce to seal the old holes .. You could also and more cheaper just mount a portable dome dish on the roof the same way. Most of them don't require a power cable just the coax. You lose some bad weather reception ( small reflector) and only see one satellite at a time, not good for multiple tvs or recording but cheaper 3-400 vs 1400 for a traveler. We use a Wally with a add on hard drive and can record one channel and watch another . New Wally programming allows this. But it really needs the larger 3lnb dish esp with multiple tvs you could also go all in with a hopper and wireless joeys but it requires some additional items to make the system work with a traveler.
I also just run cable across the roof and drill down into a closet or cabinet where I want the cable to be. There are fittings to cover the hole and just dicor over it ... No leaks.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a KVH R-6 and when it became incompatible with Dish we installed a Winegard Travel'r It mounted in the same spot and was done quickly. As a note my antenna was mounted in the front of my MH.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceNeu View Post
So, how do you get the satellite dish cable into the motor home? My coach only has an input for cable TV and while parked in a campground I use that. I have the multi input/output box up front that takes all the signals and sends them to my 3 tvs. To include park cable, ota, DVD, etc.
When they installed the satellite dish on the roof of our coach they drilled a hole large enough to run the cable through the top of the front cap. On ours the hole was above the cabinet above the passengers seat. They used a piece of metal designed to sit flat and be screwed down on the roof with an opening for the coax cable coming out the rear and sealed it all with Dicor.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

BruceNeu, I've had a satellite dish on the past 4 class A coaches I've owned. On the the first 2, I had to work out a way to get the wires through the roof and to the cabinet that held my DVR. It was a mind game but with due diligence, you can usually find a way to make it happen. On the last 2 rigs, there was a piece of conduit under the roof and that spot was marked with an "X" It was just a matter of using a hole drill to find the conduit.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
When they installed the satellite dish on the roof of our coach they drilled a hole large enough to run the cable through the top of the front cap. On ours the hole was above the cabinet above the passengers seat. They used a piece of metal designed to sit flat and be screwed down on the roof with an opening for the coax cable coming out the rear and sealed it all with Dicor.
I'm thinking that I don't want a rooftop dish and I am looking into the Winegard Path X2 portable (if parked under trees).
I suppose it won't hurt to leave the old black KVH dome up there. I really need to figure out the best way to connect the X2 to the multi IO box.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Personally I don't want the hassle of having a dish outside the coach. It's just something else for someone to steal and, if it's a manual dish, the hassles of finding satellites. In my case I have HD Satellite and all I do is punch a button and it finds the 3 satellites.

I've always been lucky in finding a spot that's satellite friendly. In fact when I go somewhere that's new, I always ask for such a spot and only once in the past 25 years I had to use the RV park cable
Old 05-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Personally I don't want the hassle of having a dish outside the coach. It's just something else for someone to steal and, if it's a manual dish, the hassles of finding satellites. In my case I have HD Satellite and all I do is punch a button and it finds the 3 satellites.

I've always been lucky in finding a spot that's satellite friendly. In fact when I go somewhere that's new, I always ask for such a spot and only once in the past 25 years I had to use the RV park cable
I understand and have been looking into this for sometime. While I would love to have a Trav'ler, it's just not in our budget. I spent the winter in Texas and parked next to a 2017 Newmar with one and next him was 3 coaches using portable antennas. Trust me, I spoke to everyone there and got their pros and cons. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Can you send me a photo of the work, please? When you have time.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #12

The motor homes with the removed KVH are long gone.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The motor homes with the removed KVH are long gone.
Ok. Thanks anyway. I just finished watching this YouTube video that shows exactly what I want to do. The video title is "Installing Dish TailGator on RV roof." 12:48 length.
Sir, would mind watching this on YouTube and after seeing it, do you think if I remove the old KVH that there will be a good spot left to mount the Dish TailGator?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #14

You'll have no problems finding a place to mount a new unit over the old foot print. But like I mentioned above. get some Dicor to seal up the screw holes (old and new)

Tags
satellite, satellite tv