Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
When does that step light activate? Does it time out after X minutes or anything?
Mines on as long as step is out,

If I flip switch to leave step out while camping, it comes on with outside lights or when door opens...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
When does that step light activate? Does it time out after X minutes or anything?
One a door open (steps deploy), not sure if it does on a close, and yes it times out and goes off.

Not sure it actives anything.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #17

Spartan Chassis
That might have been what I was missing if it is supposed to time out. I'll do some more fiddling with it when I get some more time.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
I had the same issue it would work then sto wirking then work again. I changed the control unit and that fixed the issue. Even the fact that my battery would discharge with a couplenof weeks. Now no battery isshue or step issues. New control unit solved.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
So I thought this problem was fixed!

Went over to work on the refrigerator today and the steps are not working again! Light comes on, steps do not come out.

Really getting tired of them not working correctly. Replaced the whole unit less than two years ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #20
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
All though I did not document the replacement of the original steps here on my web site I did on IRV2.com and can be seen at this link.

Kwikee Step Install

I replaced the entire assemble because the price was right (they were on sale).

I have had nothing but problems with these steps.

The last time it was the connector from the controller to the step motor. I found the solution to that problem on YouTube at this link.

https://youtu.be/yGjRakNYjLY

The fix suggested in this link actually fixed the intermittent problem for several months.

This past week they stopped working yet again.

I did the usual tests, I checked the fuses of which there are two, one for the motor and the other for the trip switch

So having been forced to work on these steps so many times I now know enough to know how to gain access to the guts. First thing is to remove the face plate under the entrance to the Motor Home.

The next thing you have to do is to remove the cotter pin from the pivot pin and drive the pivot pin out so that the steps will deploy to give access to the guts.

This is easier said than done, there is next to no room to work in this area.

Now we need to test the controller to see if it is sending power to the motor. By using a magnet to trip the micro switch in the door jam you can fool the controller that the door is either open or closed. With a test light you can see if the controller is sending power to the step motor.

So the controller works, time to pull the motor and gear drive out.

I took it down to the work bench and applied power to the terminals, it acted like a dead short. I put a socket on the nut for the pivot arm and applied some pressure and tried power again and now the motor and gear drive works as it should.

I purchased the entire step assembly from PPL on 09/04/2015. I gave them a call and they tell me they do not know if the manufacture warranty is one or two years. I supplied all the numbers on the bottom of the motor and they found no match, The paper on the label is not even dirty and the numbers are very clear 369545, 214-1001, 5F30, Assbly Step “B” Straight.

They identified the steps as a Series 28, they came up with a Conversion assemble motor and gear box for $209.63, and the motor they came up with was $59.99. They could not tell me what “conversion assembly” meant. They suggested I call Kwikee in the morning at 866-574-1688.

I am thinking that it is the gear assembly that might be bad, but it could be the motor. Who knows

So I reinstalled the gear and motor assembly and for now the steps are working again…for now.

So…what to do, I think what I have to do is get a motor and gear assembly to carry at least as a spare, if not just install them outright to forgo any more problems. The question is will they be warrantied. PPL wants $209.63 for the “Conversion Assembly” whatever that is, and they cannot tell Me, maybe Kwikee can in the morning.

The thing that gets me is I paid back in 9/4/15 $299.97 for the whole step assembly

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok talked to Lippert (owner of Kwikee Steps) Warranty is two years for an originally installed set of steps from an RV manufacture, but only one year if installed by a customer.

Talked with the Representative and talked him into sending me a goodwill motor and gear box assembly.

Three days to process the order and three days travel. We will have to leave without the replacement, cross our fingers that they work for two weeks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
kwikee, steps