Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Leaking fresh water tank

Hello-

The fresh water tank on my 2013 Fleetwood Excursion leaks when it is full or nearly full. I'm guessing there is some sort of crack near the top of the tank. I can't tell where the leak is coming from, but I see the water dripping from the fiberglass(?) pans that cover the bottom of the RV between the chassis rails underneath where the fresh water tank lies. It's not possible to physically see the fresh water tank without removing the pans, and the Excursion is so low to the ground that it would be tough for me to get under there.

My question is this: If the freshwater tank had to be replaced, what exactly does that involve? I can only see the side portion of my freshwater tank in one of my forward compartments. I can't imagine how that tank would even be removed as it is oddly shaped and appears to be wedged between the storage compartments and chassis rails.

Can cracked tanks be repaired without removal?

I just want to have a clue as to what to expect if I end up taking it to a RV repair shop.

Thanks!
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #2

I will be watching this thread closely as I have the same issue on my 98 Eagle.

I am hoping to be able to see the tank when I remove the panels in the wet bay.

If I can see the crack, I am going to try a little JB Weld magic to see if I can re-seal it.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Hello-

The fresh water tank on my 2013 Fleetwood Excursion leaks when it is full or nearly full. I'm guessing there is some sort of crack near the top of the tank. I can't tell where the leak is coming from, but I see the water dripping from the fiberglass(?) pans that cover the bottom of the RV between the chassis rails underneath where the fresh water tank lies. It's not possible to physically see the fresh water tank without removing the pans, and the Excursion is so low to the ground that it would be tough for me to get under there.

My question is this: If the freshwater tank had to be replaced, what exactly does that involve? I can only see the side portion of my freshwater tank in one of my forward compartments. I can't imagine how that tank would even be removed as it is oddly shaped and appears to be wedged between the storage compartments and chassis rails.

Can cracked tanks be repaired without removal?

I just want to have a clue as to what to expect if I end up taking it to a RV repair shop.

Thanks!
I am beginning to believe I have the same issue as well, its only when I fill my tank up all the way. I was originally thinking (hoping) there would be some kind of vent or overflow that leaks. I think my MH requires me to pull the whole water management panel out to get to my tank bay where all three (fresh, black and gray) tanks are. Definitely post your findings, and I'm interested in the JB weld too-- I'd think that'd work.

Save travels!
JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #4

If you can find the crack use this: https://www.amazon.com/Flex-Set-Flex.../dp/B000XBGU8W note: NOT Flexseal
It is one of maybe 2 adhesives that will work on polypropene (sp?) tanks. I doubt very much that JB Weld will work. Look at the label to see what it does and does not work on.

I used this on my tank when the seam around the fill inlet failed around 6 years ago and it still works fine.

Geoff
Old 05-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #5

There are some interesting threads on this board about a condition that MAY occur when you completely fill your fresh water tank which is definitely news to me.

I have been pondering how so much water drained from the fresh water tank after completely filling the tank on our last trip when there have never been any fresh water tank leaks in the last 10 years for our 21 year old coach.

It is SIPHONING!!!!!! Who knew this could occur?

Only occurs when you overflow the tank which is what I did prior to the evacuation of so much water from our tank.

Good news is that we MAY not have leaks...just that we initiated a siphoning process without realizing it.

I have filled the tank to 3/4 at this point with no leaks and plenty of water pressure at all faucets, shower and toilet....but my water pump continues to run (very quietly- like it is at reduced power) which I cannot figure out.

Thought I would pass this siphoning information along.

Fingers crossed for all.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #6

SIPHONING from where? How do you stop it?
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #7

On my 2015 Excursion 35B, the fresh water tank is located just behind the front wheels on the driver side. The overflow pipe exits on the passenger side in the same compartment that houses the propane tank. I think its 3/4" PVC pipe. Whenever I would fill the tank it would siphon out till it got down to about 2/3 tank. Since the overflow pipe wasn't at the top of the compartment, I cut off the elbow that pointed the line down. I then installed an elbow pointed upwards, installed a short piece of PVC then 2 more elbows so it was now pointing downwards and added another short piece to reach close to the bottom of the compartment. This made the water have to travel higher before it will drain. None of the joints were glued as there is no pressure in the line. This has eliminated 99% of the siphoning. I still get a little bit, but nothing compared to the amount that was escaping prior to the modification.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine has a 1 1/4? vent line coming out of the top of the tank then down out the bottom. Apparently the vent line extend down into the tank.
It would siphon out 1/2 the tank collapsing it as it went!
Drilled a 1/16" hole on the vent line near the tank and no more siphon!
Old 05-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridemist View Post
On my 2015 Excursion 35B, the fresh water tank is located just behind the front wheels on the driver side. The overflow pipe exits on the passenger side in the same compartment that houses the propane tank. I think its 3/4" PVC pipe. Whenever I would fill the tank it would siphon out till it got down to about 2/3 tank. Since the overflow pipe wasn't at the top of the compartment, I cut off the elbow that pointed the line down. I then installed an elbow pointed upwards, installed a short piece of PVC then 2 more elbows so it was now pointing downwards and added another short piece to reach close to the bottom of the compartment. This made the water have to travel higher before it will drain. None of the joints were glued as there is no pressure in the line. This has eliminated 99% of the siphoning. I still get a little bit, but nothing compared to the amount that was escaping prior to the modification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
There are some interesting threads on this board about a condition that MAY occur when you completely fill your fresh water tank which is definitely news to me.

I have been pondering how so much water drained from the fresh water tank after completely filling the tank on our last trip when there have never been any fresh water tank leaks in the last 10 years for our 21 year old coach.

It is SIPHONING!!!!!! Who knew this could occur?

Only occurs when you overflow the tank which is what I did prior to the evacuation of so much water from our tank.

Good news is that we MAY not have leaks...just that we initiated a siphoning process without realizing it.

I have filled the tank to 3/4 at this point with no leaks and plenty of water pressure at all faucets, shower and toilet....but my water pump continues to run (very quietly- like it is at reduced power) which I cannot figure out.

Thought I would pass this siphoning information along.

Fingers crossed for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Mine has a 1 1/4? vent line coming out of the top of the tank then down out the bottom. Apparently the vent line extend down into the tank.
It would siphon out 1/2 the tank collapsing it as it went!
Drilled a 1/16" hole on the vent line near the tank and no more siphon!
OK, I'm a bit confused. I'm not sure what you all mean by siphoning. To me siphoning would mean that I'm driving down the road and somehow a suction is being created at a point where water can exit the tank, like at a vent for example.

What's happening to me is that I'm filling the tank via gravity feed until water spills out the little vent on the same gravity feed panel. The RV sits, and I have water leaking out the bottom of the RV. I can't see from exactly where because there are body panels on the bottom of the RV covering the width of the distance between the frame rails. Is this what is happening to you all?
Old 05-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you fill it full to where it comes out the over flow, the siphon has been created and continues till it sucks air! It will continue till it gets air to break the siphon! This why I drilled small hole in over flow!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
If you fill it full to where it comes out the over flow, the siphon has been created and continues till it sucks air! It will continue till it gets air to break the siphon! This why I drilled small hole in over flow!
OK, so drilling that little hole did the job, huh? OK, I'll try to find that vent line and give it a try.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #12

Siphoning does not sound like it is your problem unless the overflow/vent line is cracked and the water is coming out 0r the line before it should. If you can fill your tank until water comes out the overflow but it stops when you quit putting water in the tank the you have another problem such as a crack in the tank. JMHO
Good luck.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
Siphoning does not sound like it is your problem unless the overflow/vent line is cracked and the water is coming out 0r the line before it should. If you can fill your tank until water comes out the overflow but it stops when you quit putting water in the tank the you have another problem such as a crack in the tank. JMHO
Good luck.
Yeah, I think you're right. I found the vent tube in the propane compartment and that is not where the water is coming out. It's trickling out from somewhere else when the tank is full.

I was peeking around the freshwater tank compartment this afternoon and for the life of me I can't figure out how that tank is secured into the compartment and therefore removed. It looks like it is L shaped with the L part riding over one of the frame rails and the other L part dropping around the frame rail into the compartment. Does anyone know how these tanks are secured and/or removed?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #14

I have a 39L ‘05 and had a fresh water tank leak. With the slide open there are 2 panels on each side to allow acces to the tanks, yes two water tanks, joined together with 1 1/2” plastic water fill hose. From the factory the clamps had not been tightened enough and after a few years had become brittle and began to leak. Fleetwood’s help line hound have schematics to help with this and the side panels are just held in wth screws. My two tanks just sit between the sides with styrofoam around them. When empty mine just moved around so i wedged more foam to stabilize them. Winter camping needed the extra insulation too. Never had the siphon problem.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water