Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

Leaking windows 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35B

We are on our cross country trip and stayed the night north of Kansas City. There are heavy rains tonight and we noticed the one side window in kitchen and the two side windows in hallway (opposite bathroom) are leaking into the rv. It appears the sealant on top of the window outside is the issue, the water is coming out the bottom screws of the frame on the inside and running down the interior wall. We have towels there now and it appears to be a slow leak. More rains are coming though.

Has anyone had a similar issue? We plan to call fleet wood in the morning. We will be spending 6 weeks in the Seattle area and this will need to be fixed. What do you think off he possibility of a mobile tech coming out to fix it?

Thanks,
Colin
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35b
Gdgb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Make sure to call FW CS before enlisting a repair from a mobile guy. They most likely won't cover it under warranty if you do not get authorization first. They are easy to work with. If your sure it's from just the sealant you can use a silicone sealant as a temp fix. Silicone is not a permanent fix but it can be cleaned off and sealed with a proper product later. Heck duct tape will also work. FW will direct you to a dealer or approved shop. I would ask to have the coach "seal tech" checked out. This Is a pressurized system within the coach interior where the leaky areas are soaped to find exactly where the water intrusion is. Check out your windshield while your at it I had two leaks appear over a year as the coach flexes. All an easy repair with the right sealant.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #3

Most likely the outside of the window needs to be recaulked. This is regular maintenance (as is inspecting all seals regularly). Do not use silicone, as it doesn't last in the RV environment and the residue is difficult to remove without the propper solvent. Windows are usually sealed with proflex RV. When your new trailer travels down the road it flexes and shifts so the seals sometimes break their bind.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431838255.419413.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	94478

Thanks for the info guys. I added a photo. Do you think this means that water is leaking into the walls?

Old 05-17-2015, 01:23 AM   #5

Lovely, frameless windows. Perfect traps for water running down the walls. On another thread about the new 2016 Bounder, it was mentioned these windows were great because they could be left open in the rain. Not like our lowly sliding windows which allow the rain to be blown into the coach..

If you had windows with frames I would have suggested buying a roll of old fashioned putty tape to apply across the top of the window frames overlapping the painted body and frame where they met.

Putty tape looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	putty tape.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	94480

It is usually 1 inch wide. Maybe, just maybe, you could apply it to the body and overlap to the top of the glass to divert the water outward over the glass. Don't use duct tape which won't come off easily and could damage your paint. Ace hardware and many other places have this old fashioned perfect sealing material putty tape. Don't EVER use silicone caulk!!

You could make the putty tape wider by overlapping two lengths of putty tape to each other before applying to the body which would be certainly wide enough to bridge the gap between the body and glass. The putty tape seal is most important on the painted body surface but you'll see this stuff sticks easily and will not have to be hammered into place.

It can be removed where ever you get the repair/sealing done easily.

Your walls are solid foam with metal framing, not hollow.

My friend's 2014 Excursion 35b windows all leaked but had frames like my 2014 Bounder. I had one window leak on my slide and used the putty tape to seal it temporarily while in Florida. Had to remove it each time I pulled the slide in so I know it removes easily. Found a dealer there to have it caulked properly within a week.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #6

Thanks, I'll make sure I get some of that before the next rain.

Appreciate the help,
Colin

Old 05-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #7

Tips on sealing: https://youtu.be/JO0WrsVkRII
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
We had a leaking window on our 05 Bounder. After doing everything that has been suggested here the dealer finally removed the window and found that the rubber gasket that is used to seal the window, on the outside, was folded in half at the top of the window. Unfolded it and then applied silicone and it hasn't leaked since. That was in 2005.

Jerry
Old 05-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood does not allow silicone anywhere in the factory.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdgb23 View Post
We are on our cross country trip and stayed the night north of Kansas City. There are heavy rains tonight and we noticed the one side window in kitchen and the two side windows in hallway (opposite bathroom) are leaking into the rv. It appears the sealant on top of the window outside is the issue, the water is coming out the bottom screws of the frame on the inside and running down the interior wall. We have towels there now and it appears to be a slow leak. More rains are coming though.

Has anyone had a similar issue? We plan to call fleet wood in the morning. We will be spending 6 weeks in the Seattle area and this will need to be fixed. What do you think off he possibility of a mobile tech coming out to fix it?

Thanks,
Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdgb23 View Post
Thanks, I'll make sure I get some of that before the next rain.

Appreciate the help,
Colin

I'm having the same issue with my rear window on my 2017 Storm. I also will be in the Seattle area. Where are you taking it to be repaired?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #11

I have the frameless windows on my 2015 Terra and was thinking putting EZ gutter across the top of the window. I don't care for the way there is a gap around the window. What I mean is the way the glass does not sit flush with the body. I would think the gutters would divert the flow around the window.
Essential Products RV & Marine
Old 04-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #12

On our 2015 35B the small window at the passenger's feet was leaking. Dealer fixed under warranty by removing and re-installing the window. They said it was not centered when installed during construction.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DO NOT USE SILICONE! If you do, nothing will stick to that area ever again. At least without a lot of prep work. The factory uses a product called OSI QUAD. It is made by loctite. They use the clear. You can get it at home depot. Magnificent stuff.

Tags
leak, fleetwood, window