Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieg213 View Post
I emailed with Keith from FW (he got back to me very quickly) and told me that there is a "Wynn" package that can add solar panel wiring.

He also confirmed that the 30th anniversary package can have a "wood look" floor.
I just purchased the 2016 Bounder 35K, I just saw the 30th anniversary The two big differences are the 30th has the cup holders/magazine rack on either side of the front captain chairs and the stove top has the counter overlays to cover the stove. Mine is a 2016 but it is on a 2015 chassis and i have the 5 speed transmission. I have seen a few of the new 30th ANNv but they are still listing a 5 speed, so i am not sure if any delivered bounders out there are on the 6 speed tranny yet. I don't tow (yet) but have installed the 5star tune and with it and tow/haul mode i would have no issue with a toad. The wood floor has been in them since 2015 so i don't see that as an issue. I love my bounder and the 35K floor plan. The 35H is the bunkhouse and is cut the bathroom to much for me. One thing to be careful of is the dinette. It is the OPT 830 and it will give you the dinette with no wood as you see in most dealer views. One thing i can say is that you don't use the table as part of the bed, it completely detaches and the seats actually slide down together to form the dinette bed. I don't mind the leg stand as it makes the table very sturdy during travel and use.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Hello all, I'm newly registered to the forum but have been following it for some time. What a great resource!

We are leaning toward purchasing a 2016 Bounder. Had been thinking of a Georgetown but Fleetwood's quality and the newly designed for 2016 Bounder seem to be a much better decision.

Since it's a new model (with a new 6 speed transmission) I can only find limited info on the Bounder.

I am wondering if any new owners out there could share their ownership experiences, particularly on the bunkhouse floorplan.

We would be flat towing a Wrangler Unlimited-we live on the east coast and so wouldn't be dealing with the Rockies, but, should I anticipate the Bounder will have enough power to tow the Jeep?

Thanks in advance!
Good advice here. I was looking at the GT also but went with the Bounder 35K. Build quality and features hands down the Bounder wins every line item except CCC. Cost is similar too when you negotiate the price properly.
Be aware of your weights. The Wrangler is heavy and the GCWR on the Bounder is 26000 lbs. Anything over 4000 lbs being towed decreases your GVWR. My CCC was 2346 with the options I had (W/D, Drop down bed, LX package and probably some more). Subtract water, people, food, things you bring along and I am right at the GCWR and I will be towing a Focus at 2300 lbs. A quick look at the wrangler and it is over 4300 lbs.
So far that is the only think I am not happy with on my Bounder. I have a '16 but it has a '15 Ford Chassis so only a 5 speed. I also did the 5 star tune and it made a big difference in the shift patterns to the positive side. I am going to inquire on the upgraded insulation for the doghouse as it gets warm inside while driving.
FW has been very helpful with any schematics I asked for. I inquired from Forest River and they declined to provide anything regarding schematics. They were clueless regarding how their inverted worked. That was the final nail in their coffin for me. I am happy with my decision to purchase the Bounder.
Cheers!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
ComputerGuy,

It's interesting to hear about your OCCC experience with the Bounder. If I recall from seeing the placard in a picture the OCCC of the 36H is less than the 35K (around 2200 give or take without any water loaded). With the weight of a Jeep and any plans to carry water (boondocking, flushing, etc.), the OCCC becomes potentially limited.

As an aside I emailed Fleetwood to ask about any chance to pay for an upgrade to a 24K chassis and the response was a definitive NO. I find it interesting that a model designed to sleep / carry a larger family is so limited in OCCC, after it is a bunkhouse.

Bill
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
ComputerGuy,

It's interesting to hear about your OCCC experience with the Bounder. If I recall from seeing the placard in a picture the OCCC of the 36H is less than the 35K (around 2200 give or take without any water loaded). With the weight of a Jeep and any plans to carry water (boondocking, flushing, etc.), the OCCC becomes potentially limited.

As an aside I emailed Fleetwood to ask about any chance to pay for an upgrade to a 24K chassis and the response was a definitive NO. I find it interesting that a model designed to sleep / carry a larger family is so limited in OCCC, after it is a bunkhouse.

Bill
That brings up a question I had as well. My factory weight was just at 20k with 22k chassis, and your right with so much cargo storage I was a little surprised at the OCCC. but I also understood the tongue weight (500lbs) is what counts to the OCCC, not the actual vehicle weight, and the max gross (which would include the vehicle weight) is 26k, so not exceeding your OCCC , you are limited to a 4000lb vehicle. That's how I understand the weights. Still 2000lb is my OCCC Max and I could exceed that with the massive storage I have under the coach
Old 10-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree Dennis. I would definitely upgrade to the 24K chassis for the extra OCCC and honestly the price point probably wouldn't change substantially as compared to other manufacturers that do offer that chassis.

I would hate to buy a 36H and be overweight with a 100lb dog, two kids, two adults, a toad, and the supplies for a long weekend camping trip.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
I agree Dennis. I would definitely upgrade to the 24K chassis for the extra OCCC and honestly the price point probably wouldn't change substantially as compared to other manufacturers that do offer that chassis.

I would hate to buy a 36H and be overweight with a 100lb dog, two kids, two adults, a toad, and the supplies for a long weekend camping trip.
My adjustment is the amount of water I carry. I can only carry a 1/3 of a tank for most of my traveling. Even a 1/3 of a tank is 33 gals on a 2016. When I near my destination I will add water before I boondock. I am risking driving from my fill to my boondock area but that is limited travel. And even with that chances are I will not have a full tank of gas so I may not be over at all.
For a weekend trip I think you are fine. But you need to add up everything you want to bring and see. I have a spreadsheet of what things I bring in so I know. Most people will not go t this length. I care whether I am overweight or not. Everyone should care too. Handling and stopping distances are affected with those items.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
My adjustment is the amount of water I carry. I can only carry a 1/3 of a tank for most of my traveling. Even a 1/3 of a tank is 33 gals on a 2016. When I near my destination I will add water before I boondock. I am risking driving from my fill to my boondock area but that is limited travel. And even with that chances are I will not have a full tank of gas so I may not be over at all.
For a weekend trip I think you are fine. But you need to add up everything you want to bring and see. I have a spreadsheet of what things I bring in so I know. Most people will not go t this length. I care whether I am overweight or not. Everyone should care too. Handling and stopping distances are affected with those items.
My 20k FACTORY weight was with a full water tank (100 GAL @7.??/per lb, spec sheet says full water tank is like 926LBS), But once I understood the OCCC better( long conversation with the factory reading my Weight plate directly from the coach) I had a better understanding of the OCCC. I now only fill my tank to about the 45 degree bend in the tank. Which also made me comment to them that the way they put the tank sensors, it is half full before it even hits the empty sensor ( made no sense that they put them so high on the tank) I don't boondock so I only now carry enough water for bathroom use while under way, which improves my OCCC a bit. But I still can load a lot in the cargo if I really wanted. If I was a full timer I would probably categorize my "always on the coach" stuff and then figure out where to go from there for loading.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
That brings up a question I had as well. My factory weight was just at 20k with 22k chassis, and your right with so much cargo storage I was a little surprised at the OCCC. but I also understood the tongue weight (500lbs) is what counts to the OCCC, not the actual vehicle weight, and the max gross (which would include the vehicle weight) is 26k, so not exceeding your OCCC , you are limited to a 4000lb vehicle. That's how I understand the weights. Still 2000lb is my OCCC Max and I could exceed that with the massive storage I have under the coach
The tongue weight is usually 10% of the trailer weight. Yes, if you are towing a trailer you would subtract the tongue weight from your available OCCC. But if you are flat towing a vehicle the only tongue weight there is is the weight of the tow bar unless you are over on the GCWR - GVWR. For the Bounder that is 26000 - 22000 = 4000 lbs.
so if your vehicle weighs 4400 lbs (and you have nothing in it or on it) and your tow bar weight 35 lbs you would subtract 435 lbs from your OCCC. To take it further if you had a 2200 lb OCCC your available OCCC would be 1765 lbs (2200-435).
Also, get your rig weighed and don't count on the placard in the coach as being accurate. Any options that are added after the fact, you guessed it, reduces your OCCC.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
My 20k FACTORY weight was with a full water tank (100 GAL @7.??/per lb, spec sheet says full water tank is like 926LBS), But once I understood the OCCC better( long conversation with the factory reading my Weight plate directly from the coach) I had a better understanding of the OCCC. I now only fill my tank to about the 45 degree bend in the tank. Which also made me comment to them that the way they put the tank sensors, it is half full before it even hits the empty sensor ( made no sense that they put them so high on the tank) I don't boondock so I only now carry enough water for bathroom use while under way, which improves my OCCC a bit. But I still can load a lot in the cargo if I really wanted. If I was a full timer I would probably categorize my "always on the coach" stuff and then figure out where to go from there for loading.
Good information about the sensors. I need to check that out. Thanks.
Water weighs ~8.34 lbs. per gallon. The tank is 100 gals. The water heater is 10 gals. There is a little more in all the lines.
926/8.34=111.03
The weight things is why I am downsizing my Edge to a Focus. In theory I could put over 1500 lbs in my toad and still be ok on OCCC. All my heavy items go in the toad (remember that spreadsheet I talked about in an earlier post??)
Be safe out there.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That's a great comparison as that was the other RV we had in mind. Seemed like FR cut corners (baggage doors, wood work, fresh water tank size, inferior electrical system) where FW upped their game. Thanks for the advice!
I would say to stevie, I looked at about every Gas model out there in the 35-39 foot range ( once you take out all of them are the FORD F53 with the V-10 TRITRON), without exception the Fleetwood had the better overall package (inverter, cargo storage, cargo doors, EMS, A/C, Heat pump, 22.5 tires, etc) I would definitely get the LX package and not so much for the 7.0 ONAN gen, but the Chrome latches, mirrors, and the integrated counter tops throughout the coach. The closes one to the bounder was the NEWMAR in the amenaties but it was quite a bit more and Newmar didn't deal well off the MSRP like I got from LazyDays out of Tampa. I also just could not find anything that had the layout of the 35K and love how it is... Even tho its not a bunkhouse, I have a queen drop down bunk, a queen pullout coach and still have the Dinette I could make into a bed. If I have that many kids in my coach then someone shoot me quick because something is wrong... LOL

At first I was bummed a bit that I missed out on the 6 speed but after seeing several post on here and the specs on the 6 speed, I am way happy with my 5 speed and the 5star tune I installed. Just completed a weekend trip thru a lot of rolling terrain and never kicked off the cruise once. 67MPH cruise at 2250 RPM and any time it need to maintain for a grade most I saw was 3600 RPM and it would come out of the downshift before I even crested the hill 80% of the time. I would highly recommend anyone to get the 5Star tune right away and don't even bother driving it without itinstallled to see if you needed it, it is that much of a difference in the engine performance.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Be aware of your weights. The Wrangler is heavy and the GCWR on the Bounder is 26000 lbs. Anything over 4000 lbs being towed decreases your GVWR. My CCC was 2346 with the options I had (W/D, Drop down bed, LX package and probably some more). Subtract water, people, food, things you bring along and I am right at the GCWR and I will be towing a Focus at 2300 lbs. A quick look at the wrangler and it is over 4300 lbs.
So far that is the only think I am not happy with on my Bounder. I have a '16 but it has a '15 Ford Chassis so only a 5 speed. I also did the 5 star tune and it made a big difference in the shift patterns to the positive side. I am going to inquire on the upgraded insulation for the doghouse as it gets warm inside while driving.
Excellent posts from everyone. I think my Jeep weighs 4075, according to Jeep's website. Although, I'm assuming that's with no fluids and with the soft top. I usually keep oil and fuel in it and have a hard top so I bet I am close to 4300lbs. I was surprised that the automatic Wrangler only weighs 25 pounds more than the auto tranny. I guess that would be about what the brake buddy weighs so I've got that going for me.
I, too, asked FW about a 24k chassis and got a "no". Too bad! Maybe we should figure out a way to carry lots of helium in the rig to take some weight off!
Stevieg213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Out of all of this discussion I was most amazed at how heavy a Wrangler is! So out of curiosity, is there a way to alter the sensors to more accurately diagnose water levels?
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
Old 10-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Out of all of this discussion I was most amazed at how heavy a Wrangler is! So out of curiosity, is there a way to alter the sensors to more accurately diagnose water levels?
I thought the same thing so I took a little tug on mine, Needless to say they are on there. LOL I have a factory trip in FEB and it is on my list to ask if they can be split up better. It like one black pad that's about 8 inches by 8 inches with a foam pad covering and all three sensors in the pad. Its set above the 45 degree slope of the tank which starts about half way up the tank design. I'll ask them if it can be moved and see what they say.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
here is pic of the tank finally took a while to find one. to dark to go get one from mine. LOL
I hope it comes thru anyways says I have an attachment, yup its there you can see the sensor package at the top of the tank in the pick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	110444  

Tags
2016 bounder, bounder, tow