Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Leaving both grey and black tanks open on 2020 Discovery XLE

I read somewhere, that since we have 2 macerating toilets with double p trap type plumbing on the Discovery's you can leave both the grey and black tanks open without any odors getting into the coach. So I have been testing that out for the past 3 weeks and it seems to be true. Anyone else do, read or heard this?
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With P traps it seems that would make sense.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #3

Leaving both grey and black tanks open on 2020 Discovery XLE

P traps have nothing to do with leaving valves open. If you leave the black open all of the liquids drain out leaving poop mounds and tissue clods which is not so good. You can leave grey open but you need my opinion about a half a tank of grey to flush out hose after dumping black.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As has already been stated - P traps have nothing to do with.

With the Black tank valve open you are allowing the liquid portion of your waste to drain out leaving the solids behind which can really solidify within 24 hours making it almost impossible to get them out of the tank.

Over the years I have left the gray tank open until the night before we were planning to depart. With it about half full I would dump the black tank; flush it and then dump the dray to flush out the hose.

If you leave the valves open you are also inviting uninvited guests into your unit.

Richard
Old 08-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #5

Not not open black valve until the black tank is 3/4 full. If you just leave it open, you will wind up with accumulated solids.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With both toilets macerating all the waste... grinding everything and adding water so everything turns to a liquid form and jet flushing it out. Nothing is left to dry and pile up. Plus the ratio of liquid being flushed verses solid waste and toilet paper being flushed is about 5 to 1 there are no solids left to build up no piles or TP residue to sit and dry out. I also keep the blank tank flush system hooked up to rinse every week or when needed. The dual p traps keep any sewer gases from entering the coach. If I am traveling and doing overnight stops I let the tank fill and use happy camper to break it down even further. When I leave I close the grey tank the night before but that only helps clean/rinse the hoses, plus washing clothes and dishes keeps it rinsed as well. I use the black tank flush to clean all the residue every move day when the hoses are being used. Flush and Back Flush again and again till it's clear water coming out. I don't see it being a problem.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
With both toilets macerating all the waste... grinding everything and adding water so everything turns to a liquid form and jet flushing it out. Nothing is left to dry and pile up. Plus the ratio of liquid being flushed verses solid waste and toilet paper being flushed is about 5 to 1 there are no solids left to build up no piles or TP residue to sit and dry out. I also keep the blank tank flush system hooked up to rinse every week or when needed. The dual p traps keep any sewer gases from entering the coach. If I am traveling and doing overnight stops I let the tank fill and use happy camper to break it down even further. When I leave I close the grey tank the night before but that only helps clean/rinse the hoses, plus washing clothes and dishes keeps it rinsed as well. I use the black tank flush to clean all the residue every move day when the hoses are being used. Flush and Back Flush again and again till it's clear water coming out. I don't see it being a problem.

If you know the answer you want why did you start post? I don’t think a half a gallon of ground up poop and water will even make it thru the tank to the end of a 10 ft sewer hose.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, I have the same coach as you... However, you should listen to what the others are saying... Not sure if you have any clear sewer fittings with your set up or not. If not, get some. Keep your black tank closed and let it fill up, then dump while keeping an eye on the clear fittings. You will see that while it drains, clumps of wet TP and other effluent flows through the hose toward the end of the dump.

Its easy to think that the toilet is grinding up all of the "stuff" into nothing but liquid, but what you end up having is a "wet slurry" of TP (and other things) that still travels in clumps. The shape of the tanks on our coaches will ensure that those clumps will rest on the bottom of the tank with no really good way of being rinsed out.

IIRC you haven't had your coach much longer than me, so you may be in good shape now. Several months down the road as this "slurry" accumulates, you are going to be back on here asking how to disolve the solids in the bottom of your tank...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
Dave, I have the same coach as you... However, you should listen to what the others are saying... Not sure if you have any clear sewer fittings with your set up or not. If not, get some. Keep your black tank closed and let it fill up, then dump while keeping an eye on the clear fittings. You will see that while it drains, clumps of wet TP and other effluent flows through the hose toward the end of the dump.

Its easy to think that the toilet is grinding up all of the "stuff" into nothing but liquid, but what you end up having is a "wet slurry" of TP (and other things) that still travels in clumps. The shape of the tanks on our coaches will ensure that those clumps will rest on the bottom of the tank with no really good way of being rinsed out.

IIRC you haven't had your coach much longer than me, so you may be in good shape now. Several months down the road as this "slurry" accumulates, you are going to be back on here asking how to disolve the solids in the bottom of your tank...
I certainly hope he takes your advice.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:26 PM   #10

Even when ground up by the macerator, you can get poop piles if the valve is open (once dried it's almost like rock...probably worse when macerated)...always best to keep some standing water in the black tank at all times. And as a prior poster mentioned there could be build up in the sewer line. Nothing is better than dumping black when 1/2 full or fuller, and then following with a good rinse of grey water (or dumping a full bowl from a conventional dump toilet...see below).

Our Discovery has a macerating toilet in the rear full bath, and a conventional dump toilet in the mid-ship 1/2 bath. I actually prefer this for two reasons:
  • The conventional dump toilet cannot really break...it's a nice backup if the rear macerator were to fail. We had a campsite neighbor last year that had both of their macerator toilets fail. One toilet failed a few weeks earlier and they were going to repair when they got back home. When the second toilet failed they had to use the campground toilets for several days until repairs were done. Not a knock on macerating toilets...they just have extra "things" that can fail. Sometimes old technology is a good backup.
  • Since in my case the conventional toilet is almost directly over the black tank, and dumps into the end opposite the dump valve, I will fill the conventional toilet to the top of the bowl with water, dump the black tank until it no longer drains, and then dump the toilet and keep my foot on the pedal for another 30 seconds. The giant "whoosh" of water gets anything left on the bottom of the tank out. I don't use the installed black tank cleaning setup (no whoosh effect). If the wife steps on the pedal I can see what comes out with the clear 45° fitting I have between the valve and the sewer hose...and there's more than you'd think that is sometimes still sitting on the bottom of the tank. If I don't see clear water at the end I'll do another whoosh dump (this is rare).

Other notes:
  • Note that we use Charmin Ultra Soft toilet paper (have for all the years we have been RVing), and we never have issues.
  • We are also full-timers, and dump the blank tank weekly whether it's full or not (part of our Sunday morning ritual).
  • Every few weeks, after dumping the tank I add a small amount of Roebic K-57 into a toilet and flush (typically after a few toilet uses so it does not all flow down into the tank valve line).
  • I also add weekly some Odorlos for odor control (seems to work...we can tell when it has not been added).
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have friends with the same set up. They leave both black and gray tanks open. With two macerating toilets and plenty of water, all the waste flows right on through....no problem. I tried the same thing, no problem for us either.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #12
Cat

Ever walk through your RV park and smell the stink of sewer gases. Thats caused in many cases by people leaving their dump valves open. How? It flows up your sewer hose then out the the roof vents of your RV. So your roof vent become vent for the sewer system. You won't smell it inside your coach but you stink the RV park up. Some parks are worse than others and some times it can be the wind drawing out. But if you keep them open yours tanks can build up crap and grease. And for the rest of please shut your valves.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Ever walk through your RV park and smell the stink of sewer gases. Thats caused in many cases by people leaving their dump valves open. How? It flows up your sewer hose then out the the roof vents of your RV. So your roof vent become vent for the sewer system. You won't smell it inside your coach but you stink the RV park up. Some parks are worse than others and some times it can be the wind drawing out. But if you keep them open yours tanks can build up crap and grease. And for the rest of please shut your valves.
Good point!

I don't see any reason to keep the black tank valve open. It's still a better idea to keep it closed and drain and flush as needed.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to operate with the black tank open...all I can say is ...GOOD LUCK down the road.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, tank, black tank, discovery