Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #1

LED Headlights

I am considering switching the stock high and low beam headlight bulbs on our 2014 Southwind to LED bulbs.
The existing standard lights just do not shine enough light at night, even on high beam.
The fog lights illuminate a wider path, but do not help with the longer distance.
Has anyone done this, and were you pleased with the overall performance afterwards?
Also, any info on replacement model numbers and dealers would be appreciated.
I tried "buyrvlights.com" and they wanted more to ship 4 bulbs than the actual cost of the bulbs!!!!
Thanks in advance.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

Yeah i thought it would be easy to just swap the bulbs out for led's. not so much. look on you tube for videos about this. the headlight housing is important when it comes to focusing the beam correctly. i ended up with a scattered light that shone to high.
ended up buying better quality bulbs
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
The brand of LED makes as much, or more difference than the shape of the headlight housing. With that said, have you attempted to aim the headlights correctly?
Old 10-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #4

I purchased LEDs on EBay that were 4 sided. 2 sides for low beam and all 4 for sides for high beam.
You will need to adjust lighting height no matter what LEDs you purchase. The hot spot should hit the highway about 40' out. That is the standard provided by the DOT.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/39355857842...Cclp%3A2334524

Richard
Old 10-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #5

Many motorhomes are wired in such a way that there is a significant voltage drop to the headlights. An alternative to changing to LED lights is to do the well known modification using relays to send full battery power to the existing lights. I did this, and there is a significant increase in light brightness.
https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-che...dlight-harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
I am considering switching the stock high and low beam headlight bulbs on our 2014 Southwind to LED bulbs.
The existing standard lights just do not shine enough light at night, even on high beam.
The fog lights illuminate a wider path, but do not help with the longer distance.
Has anyone done this, and were you pleased with the overall performance afterwards?
Also, any info on replacement model numbers and dealers would be appreciated.
I tried "buyrvlights.com" and they wanted more to ship 4 bulbs than the actual cost of the bulbs!!!!
Thanks in advance.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #6

Members here posted.. the you need to test volts at the bulb connection.. many times.. for one reason or the other.. the voltage is way below 12volt... so you need to have a HD relay added to each side and low and hi beams.. my understanding is that's is 4 HD relays.. that is first thing.. if you are not getting full voltage then nothing will work.. even leds.. although leds use less amps.. but the truth is.. so many things affects ones vision that only thing I found.. is just break down.. after checking for proper voltage.. and add set of driving lights.. there are many to choose from..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-04-2021, 07:26 PM   #7

LEDs worked fine in my 35k. Daytime running light mode does have lower voltage but there was enough to light the led… and as you know LEDs are not dimmable so they are full brightness all the time.

Make sure you buy IP68 and not IP65 LEDs. I had IP65 and one failed in heavy rain because in an RV they are not well protected underneath.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #8

Don’t know about your headlights but most led bulbs have to be clocked into the right position either the leds are side to side or up and down.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #9

All I know one of my Helo headlights costs $550.00 to replace.
Unbelievable
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #10

I replaced my headlight housings (found by the DOT number that they came from an Econoline Van and were super cheap since so common) to get clear lenses and a new reflector in the back.

Then I went on Amazon and found Hikari LED headlight replacements that keep the light source very close to the center of the unit - this is what allows them to work in halogen reflectors. They will still need rotation and adjustment after you install them, and might need some creativity on the clamp ring if that doesn't fit right. But they work GREAT and now I can actually see the road at night. I'm also not of the usual RVer age group, so night vision wasn't a problem, the halogen lights were just junk!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also replaced the fogs with LED housings that throw nearly as much light as the headlights, which makes life great when trying to position at night. Now if only the rear view had as much light back there..... I've got another set of fogs that will be installed facing the rear at some point.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
The brand of LED makes as much, or more difference than the shape of the headlight housing. With that said, have you attempted to aim the headlights correctly?
This is very true. I have purchased a few different LED for various applications but the headlight bulb positioning in the housing makes a big difference on the quality of the beam. Personally bought a set from Headlight Revolution and they were pricey, but I was able to get a good beam pattern and I did not get flashing lights from opposing traffic.

Also voltage is important LED or Halogen. There are a number of charts on the internet that show a 20% loss in lumens with a standard headlight bulb from 12.8V to 12.0V. If you want some interesting reading on the subject, check this site out. He is a well known guru. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...ys/relays.html
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
I was buying from Daniel Stern 20 years ago
Old 10-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #13
US1

I did the wiring relay and reaiming on my Winnebago. All the difference in the world, even with the stock sealed beam lights.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I did the wiring relay and reaiming on my Winnebago. All the difference in the world, even with the stock sealed beam lights.
The same for me. After I bypassed all the stock wiring with new/shorter relays and wiring I don't have near the struggle I did driving at night with the stock headlights. LEDs may still make it better, but at least now I know that I have headlights and not just a couple of candles out there.

Tags
headlight, headlights, led, light, lights