RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
CCW

LED Strips under awning

Need some thoughts on the location of LED strips under the awning. Is it recommended the strip be installed an the wall directly underneath or should it be installed at the end of the awning?
Professional installation to ensure wiring is done properly.
Thoughts?

CCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #2

It is really personal choice. If they are mounted on wall beneath the awning, you can use them while the awning is retracted or extended, if mounted on the outer edge of the awning, you can only use them when the awning is fully extended.

Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #3

Heres a novel idea...if you use amber LED strips you wont draw so many insects! Why dont manufacturers think of that????? Another example..those who build/design RVs are not RVers!
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 3rd View Post
It is really personal choice. If they are mounted on wall beneath the awning, you can use them while the awning is retracted or extended, if mounted on the outer edge of the awning, you can only use them when the awning is fully extended.

Thanks for the feedback. Any concerns on the wall mounts getting damaged or overly dirty due to being exposed?
Old 06-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmiller View Post
Heres a novel idea...if you use amber LED strips you wont draw so many insects! Why dont manufacturers think of that????? Another example..those who build/design RVs are not RVers!

One would think.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the awning tube can be problem to get power to the stripe. I did it with my coach but I have a manual awning and run the wire up the rafter from a 12VDC power point I added. If your awning is electric that might be difficult.

A sidewall mount would be a pretty easy install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_183157.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	291506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_183219.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	291507  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_183235.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	291508   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_183207.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	291509  

Old 06-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
On the awning tube can be problem to get power to the stripe. I did it with my coach but I have a manual awning and run the wire up the rafter from a 12VDC power point I added. If your awning is electric that might be difficult.

A sidewall mount would be a pretty easy install.

Looks good but I am concerned about wires in awning arms.
I like the wall mountís ease for sure.
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #8

My coach did t have such lights at all. I put a strip on the side wall beneath the awning as itís more useful - our awning is pretty much always rolled up unless we are actually using it. Installation was super easy and mine has a wireless remote that lets you change colors, including amber if that what you like.
PetesMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This may give you some ideas!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/got-...ed-227755.html
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #10

On my trailer, the strip is on the wall. I haven't had an issue with it getting "dirty". Haven't given the strip any special cleaning.

I like to leave the strip on when we will be gone and arriving back after dark. Light makes a safe approach to the doors and doesn't seem to be overly intrusive on neighbors.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Any concerns on the wall mounts getting damaged or overly dirty due to being exposed?
My led light strip came mounted on the wall, 4yrs and still work fine. Haven't noticed them getting dirty.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #12

Did my 35k and used WiFi led lights that you can change colors. The WiFi works from ALONG way away! I used 3M tape to the wall under the awning. I ran the wire along the top and past the front awning arm. If you go just past the front awning arm and drill a small hole you end up in the front side cabinet where your awning wind sensor is. I taped into the for power. Works great!
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:43 AM   #13

I installed them on the side of the motor home under the awning. I wired them into the existing patio light so that I didn't have to make any additional holes in the side of the motor home. I prefer to be able to use the lights when the awning is closed.

The wires from the LED strip light to the patio light are about 6" long. I used a short length of cable cover and painted it to match the motor home. Lights were ordered from recpro.com.

https://www.recpro.com/led-rv-awning...nting-channel/
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #14

I installed LED strip lights on the wall of my MH just below the awning. I thought I wanted them on the awning itself but couldn't figure out a way to run the wires without interfering with the awning support arms when retracting. In retrospect I'm glad I installed them on the wall. They work with the awning retracted or extended. I did have to drill a small hole in the side of the RV to run the wires, but the hole is between the top of the slide and the topper and you can't see it.

I suggest you get quality waterproof LED lights (superbrightleds.com) and install them in an aluminum channel. Use small screws to attach the channel to the wall. With the LED strip lights in place use a translucent cover and fit that into the channels, they are made for that. You will get a more even distribution of light and the individual LED's won't be so noticeable. Be sure an get a RF remote, not a IR remote. Color changing is nice and since you're going to all this trouble the slight price increase is worth it.

With the LED's in the aluminum channel with the translucent cover the lights are well protected and you can wash them with a brush, like the rest of the RV without the concern of damaging the LED light strip.

This has been one of the best mods to my coach.

Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led