Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
LED TV Install

I'm getting ready to mount my LED tv in the front of my 2002 Southwind 32v. I'm in need of some "filler" wood to take up some space on the top of the tv housing. I need some help in figuring out what type of wood and stain to use to best match the dark cherrywood interior. Anyone have any luck matching this interior? I would like to use a plywood veneer for it's strength if possible. I know they make a cherrywood stain but wondering who has done it before. Thanks for the help.
Justin
jscribn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's with a piece of wood that you want to match. The paint dept will assist you in choosing a type of wood. They can then take your sample and the new piece of wood you purchase and create a stain that will match.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's with a piece of wood that you want to match. The paint dept will assist you in choosing a type of wood. They can then take your sample and the new piece of wood you purchase and create a stain that will match.
I didn't know they had that ability, I'll be on my way to Lowes in the morning. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't tried it yet, but a few weeks ago I was in HD and ask the employee in the paint department about matching stain and he said to bring me a piece I wanted to match, a scrap of the new wood and he would be able to create a stain that would match. That is on my project list when I mount the new LED TV in the bedroom.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I did....

I found some vinyl material that matched the dashboard and did this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	15971  
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

On my Discovery, I took out the old TV, I used a piece of plywood that fit in the hole vacated by the old 19 in. and installed a 26 in. led TV in it's place. Before I mounted the plywood in the hole, I painted it black. After I mounted the TV, the plywood being black, isn't hardly noticeable behind the TV.

Dale
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have been reading all the TV swap threads. I will be removing the 20" CRT tv and mounting a 32" LCD. I will use a swivel mount so I can still access my cabinets on either side.

I will miss my 40" sitting on the pedastal between the seats while parked at home. But I will love having the 32" when I travel.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I already have a 27" Vizio LED that I took out of my Warrior so I'll be using it. My mock up so far will allow the tv to be mounted inside the original frame. I don't need it to pull out or articulate it. I think I'm going to buy a flat tilting mount and do it inside the frame to support it more and then I won't need to use straps while traveling either. The kids like to watch tv as we travel and the straps will be in the way. I'll update the post with pics as I get started. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming if you have any more suggestions.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I found some vinyl material that matched the dashboard and did this:
That's a great idea too!! Looks clean...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Straps

I use straps because the TV is mounted on a swingarm. I don't want it swinging around while driving. My rear TV is on a fixed mount and doesn't move at all. However, I've seen many TV's with fixed mounts that also have straps for travel. Imagine what could happen if it fell.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
My progress this afternoon. I'll post more when I get it done. I took the design idea from Brickhouse another IRV2 member.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MH1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	15994   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	15995  

Name:	MH4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	15996   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH5.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	15997  

Name:	MH6.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	15998  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #12

My biggest concern would be the possibility of those straps scratching the tv screen.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
My biggest concern would be the possibility of those straps scratching the tv screen.
Me too, I mounted mine behind the front facia so if it happens to fall it will be contained inside the original structure. I'll post pics next week when I get it done. Got hunting tomorrow, softball Sat. and my sons baseball tourney on Sun......
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a Problem

Not a problem as the straps do not touch the screen at all. The bezel of the screen protrudes about 1/8 inch. Even the plastic of the buckle does not touch the screen.

As you can see I opted to have the TV mounted in front of the cabinet. Otherwise I would not have been able to put much more than a 26" LCD in there. I wanted something bigger. The 37" LG is very thin and actually sticks out less than the original wooden facia did.

I'm not happy with the swing arm and will probably be replacing it soon. Might even be a solid mount as we don't really need the extra storage. If I do that I will probably still use the straps for safety. Or something else if I can figure out a way of mounting it.

In our previous RV my wife made a quilted travel cover with microfiber on the inside to protect the screen. It wasn't really necessary but it did keep the dust off.

Tags
install