Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
From a discussion on another forum it was suggested that the back wall of the house battery compartment might be removeable, in which case the hydraulic reservoir would be entirely exposed. I'll add that it was also strongly recommended to put an old folded up towel atop the house batteries to prevent entirely different problems arising from unintentional shorting of the battery terminals.

Tomorrow will reveal all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 05:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankmerrill View Post
From a discussion on another forum it was suggested that the back wall of the house battery compartment might be removeable, in which case the hydraulic reservoir would be entirely exposed. I'll add that it was also strongly recommended to put an old folded up towel atop the house batteries to prevent entirely different problems arising from unintentional shorting of the battery terminals.

Tomorrow will reveal all!
Both great suggestions! for posting them!

I have to do the towel over the batteries idea when changing the large engine air filter. The filter outer shell in my coach is steel and it comes within inches of the battery post when I remove it for replacement. Safety first!
Attached Images

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hydraulic fluid added, and no more beeping!

Thank you goes to Rattler39 on another forum for suggesting that I look for an access panel at the back of the home battery compartment. There was indeed a removeable access panel that allowed full access to the hydraulic jacks reservoir and after adding about 1-1/2 quarts of Dextron automatic transmission fluid, the leveling jacks operate beautifully, the "Jacks down" light goes out when the jacks are retracted, and the beeping has stopped! I will add that I needed a 1" socket, extension, and breaker bar to loosen the filler plug, but all's right with the world again!
Old 04-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #18

Where did 1 - 1/2 quarts of fluid go????
Old 04-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
And that, Bigd, is my next investigative quest. Unfortunately, the coach has been parked on porous surfaces (gravel and good ole mother earth) and never the same spot for more than a week or two, so it is futile to look for drippy spots. Regardless it will be something to watch.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankmerrill View Post
And that, Bigd, is my next investigative quest. Unfortunately, the coach has been parked on porous surfaces (gravel and good ole mother earth) and never the same spot for more than a week or two, so it is futile to look for drippy spots. Regardless it will be something to watch.
Find your self a cardboard box from a water heater or go over to the local GoodWill or other thrift store and drop a dollar or two on a cheap white bedsheet of blanket. Spread the box or sheet under the coach and cycle the jacks a half dozen times.

Mike
Old 04-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #21

OK just Greased my Jacks and Silicone sprayed the rods----seems like they retract just fine now
Old 04-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Anderson View Post
OK just Greased my Jacks and Silicone sprayed the rods----seems like they retract just fine now
I had one jack leg that would occasionally stop short of going all the way up setting off the "jack Down" alarm. I always used a short 2x4 to push it back on the way up. Then one day I was using a clean piece of paper towel I sprayed it with silicone and was wiping the chrome shaft down cleaning and making it slippery. Then all of a sudden I felt something near the bottom back of the shaft. Using a mechanics mirror I saw a small piece of welding spatter stick to the shaft. I carefully used a file and smoothed the splatter down until it was smooth with the shaft. Now after several years that jack leg hasn't misbehaved even once! I guess that splatter was on there since the jack leg was made!

BTW, silicone spray makes a good degreaser. My BlueOx tow bar instructions for yearly cleaning and greasing indicate to use silicone to degrease the shafts before greasing them. It works!

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks