Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Light above dinette keeps blowing fuses....

I purchased a 2006 Revolution LE a few months ago and the light above the dinette table blows the fuse. I have replaced the on/off switch twice with the same results. The light burns perfectly with the switch out of the equation. Its only when I add the switch does the fuse blow. Any electrical people out there that can lead me down the correct path. Thanks. If I need to replace the whole light assembly that is fine with me. The light above the sofa which is on the same circuit works perfectly.
shajoe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Sounds like the switch is grounded when it is in the "ON" position, just try replacing the switch.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

I have tried 2 different switches.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #4

Are you talking about a wall switch or a switch that's part of the light fixture?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say it works fine with the switch out of the equation, are you saying you have connected the wires together at the switch, leaving the switch out.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoe44 View Post
I have tried 2 different switches.
Good information to know. Did you remove the switch from the circuit and connect1 the wires together, and it did not blow the fuse?

If this is the case, maybe the wires are making contact with a ground when attached to the switch.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

What you describe isn't electrically logical, which is , I'm sure what has you stumped. If you can someone with a current meter, that has the two fingers that clips over the wires to get a current reading, see what the current is with the switch, then with just the wires connected without the switch.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Not much we can do until the OP responds.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

OK The light works when I connect the 2 wires of the light to the 2 wires hanging down from the cabinet. Also the wires have to be connected properly for the light to work. The switch is a little on/off switch that is on the fixture base itself. When I connect the wires of the switch and then touch the wires hanging down I get a spark and the fuse blows. I can send pictures if needed. Thanks
Old 01-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #10

A picture would help a lot. From your description there is a direct short. I would carefully inspect the area where the wires from the bulbs go through the metal housing.

If it is the same fixture as in my 2006 Discovery, I recently had to replace the small switch and while I had the fixture down I modified the fixture to use LED lights.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Here is picture of wires and fixture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	233556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	233557  

Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #12

In your first picture, the switch is completely disconnected from the circuit, right? And if you touch the white wires to the two wires hanging down everything works, right?

What wire connections make the fuse blow?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #13

Correct, the light works when I touch the white wires to the blue and black hanging down. When I connect the switch wires to the white wires and touch and blue and black I get the spark and the blown fuse.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
That is some wonky wiring colors.

With the white wires, since there is one wire from each side connected together, I'm assuming that one pair of white is positive and other other pair of white is negative.

In the ceiling, I'm assuming that black is negative and blue is positive.

The two black wires in the fixture appear to be hooked to the switch.
That would mean that the switch 'breaks' the ground wire. It needs to be 'between' the ground from the ceiling and the ground to the light.

Connect one black wire to the black wire in the ceiling.
Connect the other black wire to the negative pair of white wires.
Connect the other pair of white wires (positive) to the blue wire from the ceiling.

Tags
fuse, fuses, light