Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Lil bit of an emergency here...please help if you can- Leveling Jacks

Hello fellow rv'ers. Im a newbie to the rv world although we have owned a camper for about 7 years prior to our newest purchase.

I have a pretty big problem and I apologize for getting right to it...I have a 1999 Fleetwood pace arrow, 34' gas V10, Ford chassis. The problem we are having is the hydraulic leveling system. We are camping on our first trip in the rv and the right rear leveler is seeping fluid. Not fast, but noticeable. So I think to myself that now would be a great time to figure out how to service this thing. Well, I can't find it for nothing and Im afraid if too much fluid leaks out, I wont be able to retract the jacks. I found the "hydraulic nest" and what seems to be the reservoir, but there is no servicing port in site. I searched in these forums for this same issue and there was plenty of great advice; however, none of the suggestions helped me locate the service port. Not behind the drivers tire, passenger tire, battery...I am going to attempt to put a picture of the pump/reservoir compartment. if its going to bite me and I just can't see it, feel free to make fun-just point it out! lol

Thanks for anything you can do.

Bob and Tonia Coyne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV picture.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	40342  
Taco29wps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco29wps View Post
Hello fellow rv'ers. Im a newbie to the rv world although we have owned a camper for about 7 years prior to our newest purchase.

I have a pretty big problem and I apologize for getting right to it...I have a 1999 Fleetwood pace arrow, 34' gas V10, Ford chassis. The problem we are having is the hydraulic leveling system. We are camping on our first trip in the rv and the right rear leveler is seeping fluid. Not fast, but noticeable. So I think to myself that now would be a great time to figure out how to service this thing. Well, I can't find it for nothing and Im afraid if too much fluid leaks out, I wont be able to retract the jacks. I found the "hydraulic nest" and what seems to be the reservoir, but there is no servicing port in site. I searched in these forums for this same issue and there was plenty of great advice; however, none of the suggestions helped me locate the service port. Not behind the drivers tire, passenger tire, battery...I am going to attempt to put a picture of the pump/reservoir compartment. if its going to bite me and I just can't see it, feel free to make fun-just point it out! lol

Thanks for anything you can do.

Bob and Tonia Coyne
not to worry, the springs will retract the jacks, so you will or should be fine

as far as the reservoir, usually you need a combination of hose and funnel, unless of coarse you can get to it under stairs or hatch.

Good Luck

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I'll move this thread to the FW owners forum in case someone with your year and model can assist further.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a Power Gear system, the fill port is located on the bottom half of the tank in the photo. Here's a copy of the Service Manual.

The springs will retract the jacks. Don't worry about that. Info can be found on the Net for servicing the individual jack when you get home.

Actually, the fill port is just out of sight in your photo (180° from view of tank) near top of tank.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
From what I see in the picture, it looks like a Power Gear system. If so, you will have a large external spring on the outside of each jack.

With that leak, your resevior will slowly get low. When that happens, there is a sensor near the top of the tank that tells the system the jacks are retracted (springs push fluid into tank above sensor). If it gets below that point, the 'jacks down' light will not go out and you will get an alarm if you release the parking brake or move out of Park.

What you need to do is get a quart of ATF and keep with you at all times. When this happens, just add ATF to top off the tank. You can do this until you can fix the leak.

I have fixed a few leakly jacks before and is not that difficult, but not super cheap either. When you get ready, I have all the info to replace jack seals.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your slides will not come in if you are low on hydraulic fluid. Keep it filled up with ATF.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
Your slides will not come in if you are low on hydraulic fluid. Keep it filled up with ATF.
On a '99 Fleetwood Pace Arrow there is no connection between the jacks and the slide. One will not affect the other.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
If you have a Power Gear system, the fill port is located on the bottom half of the tank in the photo. Here's a copy of the Service Manual.

The springs will retract the jacks. Don't worry about that. Info can be found on the Net for servicing the individual jack when you get home.

Actually, the fill port is just out of sight in your photo (180° from view of tank) near top of tank.
loulong is right. If low on fluid your warning light and buzzer will stay on. Top off tank with jacks retracted till you can feel fluid with your finger in the hole.Do not fill with jacks down, you will have a mess when you retract.. The light and buzzer will not make any noise and the light will go out. As you loose fluid the light and buzzer will come back on until you can fix the leak. Hope this helps. I have that same system!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the info. The manual really helped. So, I can see in the diagram in the manual "where" the filler plug is (#12), how do you get to it? That's the question of the day. Why in the world would they put the filler plug on the back side of the pump housing? If anyone has some experience refilling one of these buggers, it would be valuable intel if you could share. I even considered paying the HUGE bill it would take to have a guy come out and service the stupid thing just so I could see how it was done but I will hold off...lol

thanks again,

Bob and Tonia Coyne
Taco29wps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #12

I had a similar problem with a minor leak in an HWH system in our old Brave. It was in the spring after sitting on the jacks most of the winter. Noticed a minor leak in the right front cylinder. After cycling the jacks three or four times the leak stopped and never came back. Maybe yours is minor enough that this would work for you too.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I refilled mine on my Bounder, I used a 3-5 oz plastic bathroom drink cup since it was about all I could use and get to the filler. As Bama Fan stated, I needed to check the level with my finger. Not an easy task but it can be done.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there any way to remove a panel from the other side of the tank to reach the filler plug? Can you reach the plug at all?

If you can reach the plug, you could use one of these siphon pumps to fill the tank.

I have to use one of these to put brake fluid in my old Bounder.

Tags
leveling, jacks