Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
Over the weekend, hard rain fell and I found a leak under the dinette and traced it back to the edge of the slide where the dinette is...very wet.

My slide topper is in really bad shape and know it has to be replaced...water was on the top of the slide and pooling along the rear edge by the dinette, running down the seal and getting in.

I've checked the seals and they all look well and tight, guess I just have to keep the water off the slide with a new slide topper...anybody have any other suggestions?

The slide seems to be aligned correctly and seals well open and closed...don't get any water in when closed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Living Room/Dinette Slide Leak - Update

Over the weekend, hard rain fell and I found a leak under the dinette and traced it back to the edge of the slide where the dinette is...very wet.

My slide topper is in really bad shape and know it has to be replaced...water was on the top of the slide and pooling along the rear edge by the dinette, running down the seal and getting in.

I've checked the seals and they all look well and tight, guess I just have to keep the water off the slide with a new slide topper...anybody have any other suggestions?

The slide seems to be aligned correctly and seals well open and closed...don't get any water in when closed.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

I think my bounder did the same thing. Water stands on top of slide and seeps inside the top of dinette section. I removed the fake wood trim and the foam rubber between the vinyl and wood was soaked. I removed the slide topper and ran a bead of body sealant along the inside of the slide top. Where the slide top meets an angle part that seems to be aluminum. Stand in the drivers seat with slide closed and look down the top of the slide and you can see where the water lies in the crevice. Hope this fixes my problem. I guess one could level rig where the water did not pool inside the slide top???

Freightliner--Cummins 300 ISB
mowmunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The water on mine ran down the side to the carpeted area next to the rear side of the dinette...then ran along under the the dinette drawer bottom carpeting to the inner edge of the dinette carpeting.

I really think the slide topper awnings are a must to keep almost all the water off the slide top, when they go bad (like mine), replace them.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm a little disappointed with Fleetwood on the slide toppers installed, they apparently don't follow A & E's guidelines on measuring for size!

A & E sizing requires measuring from outside flange to outside flange of slide, in my case, 163", and they specify using a 168" slide awning length (and hardware of course)...Fleetwood chose to use a 162" slide awning length.

The wider awning would help keep water off the ends of the slide, not sure why they disregard the awning manufacturer's specs., but I'm sure the few dollars they save is the main reason.

Anyway, I decided to keep the hardware and just order the 162" slide awning, ordered a universal fit vinyl replacement slide awning from Carefree instead of A&E, we'll see if it holds up better than the 3 years people say the A&E slide toppers hold up.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Hi Gerry, this is Gary and I have a 2003 Fleetwood Expedition with 3 slides, and they all leak! I really don't think the slide covers are to blame since they are designed to keep debris from collecting on top of the slide preventing damage to the top rubber seals when closed. The problem is in the design of the rubber seals. It's not a very good one. We have had our seals replaced, slides alligned, and slide covers replaced. Guess what, they still leak. I understand your problem but have no solution. Fleetwood doesn't care I assure you. I also have A&E Power Pro Awings made by Dometic Corp. and they can't keep a motor working on them. Guess what, they don't care either! I think we all bought a dream and it's turning into a nightmare!
Gary and Ann LaPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary...I may be luckier than you...I don't have any evidence that the three slides on this RV ever leaked, just what happened to me recently. The slide topper really was useless on the living room/dinette slide, lots of holes throughout. I know slides are supposed to be designed not to leak without slide toppers, but that doesn't seem possible to me, too easy for pooling water to run in somewhere.

Under the aft dinette seat/cabinet though, where the leak ran along the carpet to the middle of the dinette there was staining from the wood laying on the wet carpet, very evident now when the slide is in, and I know it wasn't ever there before...so I'm guessing this leak was the first in this area.

Anyway, thanks for responding, and hope you can somehow get relief from your issues.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting the hole ridden slide topper replaced tomorrow, can't wait to test it again when it rains...not hoping for rain, but want to see if it corrected it. I also want to look carefully at the top of the slide with the awning removed and reseal if necessary.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Gerry. You might want to get the garden hose and isolate where the water is getting in.

I am in the process of sealing a gap at the bottom of my slide seal with silicone.

Unless your slide topper is the size of an awning a heavy rain will still run down the side seals.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good advice, Steve...was thinking of hose testing it tomorrow. The main reason I think it was the slide topper allowing water on the top of the slide, then down the rear side was that there was NO evidence of it ever leaking before...and I would have been able to tell.

I'm thinking a heavy blowing rain would be no match for most slides/seals, though...and that's what we got hit with...hoping "normal" rains we'll be leak free.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today is the first day in a while where we've had a steady rain, got the slide out for leak testing and so far, we're high and dry!

Some water does pool on the slide topper (it's 162" long), but inspecting the slide roof itself there is no water on it at all except for a few drops from condensation passing thru the slide topper where it is attached to the awning rail on the roof.

Seems like this has solved my leak issue on this slide...replacing the bedroom slide topper next week...it's just starting to show it's age.

It's really poor product quality when the lifespan of these A&E slide toppers is posted on the forums to be around three years, but my conditions prove out that "longevity", as the original owner purchased this rig new in October 2004.

I'm replacing my A&E fabric with Carefree fabric, wondering if it will have any better lifespan...sure looks like the same material.