Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #29

He is assuming it needs rebuilt. Itís just leaking water as we stopped using the toilets immediately. Started running water through them.

He actually said it was probably the bellows
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #30

Seriously, the extended warranty people want the RV tech to take the pump apart and tell them exactly what parts need to be replaced. Iím so disgusted with this, I canít even tell you. Thankfully we found a place to live in the meantime.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Seriously, the extended warranty people want the RV tech to take the pump apart and tell them exactly what parts need to be replaced. Iím so disgusted with this, I canít even tell you. Thankfully we found a place to live in the meantime.
Makes sense actually. Like I said in an earlier post it most likely NOT the pump itself but the bellows or the vacuum switch. A bellows is $100/ A new pump is $350+. It it is just a vacuum switch that's $178. The switch is NOT included with the pump assembly.
My bet is the vacuum switch from what you said and the altitude.
But hey, I am not there in front of it.
warranty company does not want to pay hundreds of dollars for something if it is not the problem IMO. Makes sense.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #32

Talking

I had to put all new toilet flaps and lower seals in my 2017 35K Bounder at an RV campground a year after buying it. I learned real quick to coat ALL of them in magic lube (same stuff I use on my pool seals). Never have had an issue since. I always and I mean always dump an entire bottle of Thetford RV valve lubricant down both my toilets every time it goes into storage. RV has never once had an issue with the vacuflush system and my seals are great on the toilets still since I installed. This is just my personal preventative maintenance measure but I hope it helps some folks out.
Donkey7679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #33

Itís just a good thing we arenít still having to live in it with no toilets while they try to figure out how not to cover my repairs. Timing sucks.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:10 PM   #34

I've had my vacuum pump replaced twice in first 4 years of ownership of a new 2015 Excursion. First time under Fleetwood warranty, second time under extended warranty because it leaked. The first time I think it was the bellows, second time told the housing had cracked. I don't think the warranty companies want to mess with rebuilding the unit and just replace it. I now carry a complete spare unit as well as new motor and additional bellows and duckbills. Also, had problems with the high altitude affect on the pump shutting off, so like others would manually turn unit on and off as needed. This spring I replaced the switch with the high altitude switch, now no more problems. Unit shuts off in about 30 secs. If I remember correctly, the new switch shuts off at 10.5 inches of vacuum vs. the standard at 11.0???
Old 07-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #35

Where did you get your high altitude switch?
Old 07-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Where did you get your high altitude switch?
ARDEMCO, their the authorized distributor for the Southwest. ARDEMCO.com.
I had to call them as the switch wasn't listed on their website. If your not in the SW region, there are authorized distributors throughout the U.S. Dometic sent me a list of the authorized distributors by region. PM me if you want the list or you can contact them directly - sealand@dometic.com. Total was $169.78 and received it 2 days after order. You may want to get new gaskets for the vacuum tank, they're available on Amazon as well. A couple of mine split so I carry some spares.

The Dometic part number for the high altitude switch is Part #385312014.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #37

Terrific, thanks
Old 08-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #38

After a month, the warranty company has finally agreed to properly rebuild our vacuum pump. Now we wait for parts.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #39

If it is any consolation, we are on day 11 of our road trip and our rebuilt pump is doing great.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #40

Good to know. Iím glad you were able to get out on the road. We had to cancel the rest of our summer plans. We were supposed to start heading north again yesterday
Old 08-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #41

Just an FYI to the DYI guys.

Rebuilding this system is not real hard. I did a couple things that will make it easier next time. The cover plate that needs to be removed uses those stupid double square head screws. I tossed them once I got them all out and drilled the holes and installed 1/4" threadserts in and use short button head screws.

Getting at the bolts, hoses, wiring etc is a pain if you don't have 3 elbows per arm. Once I got everything out I mounted the pump and tank on a piece of 3/4" plywood. Next time I work on it all I have to do is disco the wiring, pull the hoses, remove a couple of screws that holds the base plate down and remove the whole assembly as one and work on my work bench.

BTW, I rebuilt my a little less than a year ago and it holds vacuum for a super long time. Being mine is right under the bed I haven't heard it come on by itself at night since I rebuilt it. Once it starts waking me up. out she comes.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bob1340, Can you post a picture of it on the board?
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote