Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Long Term Vacuflush performance?

So, I am wondering how others are experiencing this.
Back story:
I bought my Bounder new in September 2015. I used it part time until July 2017. I then went full time in it. I noticed during this time my Vacuflush would hold vacuum for over a week without use. I noticed this when it was in storage. In the summer of 2019 I noticed the unit was turning on after a few hours. I figured it was probably time to replace the duck bills and I did. Everything seemed fine. 2020 came and I bought a park model to stay in during the pandemic and lived there. The Bounder was in "storage". Actually it was in a RV park plugged in so it would be climate controlled here in Florida during summer and I would visit it periodically. I noticed while it was in storage that the vacuum would be lost after about 24 hours of non-use. I figured maybe the duck bills needed to be changed again. So I replaced them a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. Also, the duck bills looked fine when I took them out but replaced with new anyway. I recall the first time I replaced them you could see the seal in the duck bill portion was not sealing all the way. This time I did not notice that. Now I sold the park model and moved into the Bounder again. After only about 24 hours it loses vacuum. So I am thinking it is something else. I am also unclear how I can troubleshoot it - Or even if I should. This is why I am asking others experience.
How long does your vacuflush last before regenerating vacuum spontaneously?
Was I just "lucky" that originally vacuum lasted a week or more and 24 hours is more in line with what it should hold?
How can one troubleshoot a vacuum leak that is so slow? Yeah, I know the soap trick on the opposite leak like with a propane connection but not sure how/if it can be troubleshoot without just replacing parts one at a time until it resolves the issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #2

Have you also replaced the ball seal?

If that seal has any debris or damage, it will allow a slow leak of water out of the bowl. Sealand recommends replacing the seal when you replace the duckbills. They might also recommend replacing the flush ball at the same time.

We ran a VacuFlush toilet for 13 years with minimal issues. Vacuum leakdown was almost always the ball/ball seal.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Have you also replaced the ball seal?

If that seal has any debris or damage, it will allow a slow leak of water out of the bowl. Sealand recommends replacing the seal when you replace the duckbills. They might also recommend replacing the flush ball at the same time.

We ran a VacuFlush toilet for 13 years with minimal issues. Vacuum leakdown was almost always the ball/ball seal.
There is no water leak. Water is staying the same. I've also used the seal treatment in the past and why that is probably fine.
It's just a vacuum leak.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #4

You may also have a leak at the floor gasket. I replaced both the ball valve seals and the floor gasket at the same time. I had the same problem as yours
Old 03-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
You may also have a leak at the floor gasket. I replaced both the ball valve seals and the floor gasket at the same time. I had the same problem as yours
I wonder if there is anyway to test the floor gasket???
My original thoughts that failure points to check are
the floor gaskets (2 at this is a bath and a half),
the clamps on the flexible hoses,
the rubber grommet where the hose enters the vacuum tank
the rubber grommet where the pump attached to the vacuum tank
I just don't know how/if I can test which one is leaking or even if 24 hours vacuum time is worth trying to find it
Old 03-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Put a coat of shaving cream on the joint. It will suck into the leak.

Mine seems to come and go. I last parked mine Jan 12. Been up to the storage a couple times and the bowel still has water in it and the pump hasn't cycled.

I'm sure it is running as I type this.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Put a coat of shaving cream on the joint. It will suck into the leak.

Mine seems to come and go. I last parked mine Jan 12. Been up to the storage a couple times and the bowel still has water in it and the pump hasn't cycled.

I'm sure it is running as I type this.
Hmmm, interesting. Will the shaving cream diagnose it or actually fix it?

If it runs after a month and a half I would consider that pretty good!
Old 03-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #8

A couple years ago our 2017 Bounder vacuflush pump used to come on every few hours. I tightened all the hose clamps and it didn’t do it anymore. Last month it started doing it again so I tightened the clamps and it fixed it again. Make sure the clamps are really snug.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #9

We bought our 2017 Bounder a few months back from a local RV dealer. I have since researched the VacuFlush system and discovered that our coach has a complete new vacuum generator. I'm not sure why a completely new vacuum unit would be necessary but it may be that the technicians just didn't want to touch it or something.
We turn the vacuum switch on and off again with toilet use... should we be leaving it on when using the coach?
This is what it has now... https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...c/DOM46FR.html
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Back in 2017 we were looking to buy a new motorhome. We looked the Bounder and a couple of other brands. So, I read up on problems people had with their Bounders. The one issue that always showed up in Forum posts was the vacuflush toilet system.

We went with a Winnebago Adventurer and it has a Techma electric toilet in the master bath and we find that it works great. In 3 1/2 years there's been no issues and we travel a good 4-months a year. Instead of a vacuflsh type system it is a macerator and pump system - no vacuum pump, etc.

I don't know if it's possible to change out the system on a Bounder... but if it is you might consider something like the Techma.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I don't know if it's possible to change out the system on a Bounder... but if it is you might consider something like the Techma.
My buddy's Tiffin has the macerator system. He hates it. The last time he had to change the motor out was when he was on a long trip. The grass is always greener on the other side... lol.
My old class A Travco just dumped straight into the black tank. You could flush a bucket of golf balls through that thing. I wish they would just keep things simple.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
We turn the vacuum switch on and off again with toilet use... should we be leaving it on when using the coach?
When I leave for a trip I turn it on and leave it on for days or weeks. I don't turn it off till it's back home in the garage for storage till the next time its going out again.

My 2016 Bounder went +35000 miles with 0 problems or repairs on the whole system. On my 2019 Southwind I had to replace the pump after 1 1/2 years. Something failed and it had scaring inside and wouldn't hold a vacuum and was also leaking. Lucky for me it was leaking clear water because I store it at home and have a dump at home so I flushed and cleaned all of it before the leak started.

This repair happened last August here is a link to the thread if anyone cares....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/vac...it-498829.html
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
My vacuflush pump does not work on my 2019 Bounder 35K for the master toilet. Is there any diagram or other manufacturer info that might help me replace or repair the pump? Any help will be appreciated.
billzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:04 PM   #14

My 08 Pace Arrow went 12 years until the first service of the duckblls. I did it myself for about $160. My toilet went from Nov. until Feb and the green light was on when I turned it on. We use alot of water and only paper water and poop. Seems to work for us. And the best thing about the vacuflush is no smell.