Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking At American Eagles Need Info

Hi is there any one can give me some info on the eagle range (pluses & minuses) as we are thinking of buying this year, so anything would be very welcome thanks mikeissy
mikeissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mikeissy,

Welcome to the IRV2 Forum. Have you posted your request on the American Coach Yahoo forum too? You will get lots of help there.

As an Eagle owner, I'd like to provide some input and could probably offer better answers after finding out what years you are considering.

First of all, the AE has way above average quality built into it (speaking of my 03). Not sure about the newer models. Heated floors, aqua hot, solid wood cabinetry with the best drawer hinges & rollers for MHs are a few of the pluses. However, the strongest plus for me is their continued support and service. Especially the American series of Fleetwood coaches is given better than average attention by the new owners. Toll free support, free labor and discounted parts when serviced at rallies (I've heard but cannot confirm it is the same if you take your coach to the factory).

Negatives are not as many as the positives in my opinion. Problems I've had center on doors & hinges, wiring cramed in behind panels with no tie straps or organized (some wires not labled), fuse block located under entrance steps (catches all kinds of dirt and trash).

Send a PM if you have specific questions I can help with.

Dave
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking at American Eagles need info

Hi Dave thanks for your reply, As yet no firm year but leaning towards the 02/03 model for the look of the stainless steel bumpers and front end with 3 or 4 slides drives side must be a super slide ( deep slide ) length must be 39`9" under 40`( for the uk regulations ) so hopefully we will be buying from the us as there are none for sale in the uk,the servicing sounds good but i do not think it would be to far for them to come to a rallie as for the american coach yahoo thats where i started must have gone wrong some where will try again thanks again mike & issy
Old 01-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can download brochures for the older models from the American Coach web site - American Coach

Just click Request Brochure on the Eagle pages and when you get through to the actual download page you can select what year(s) you want. That way you will know what floor plans & specs are available in each year.

I think 3 slides was the most available in '03, and 2 in '02.

My 2004 American Tradition 40V is 39'10" long.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
eagle info

Hi gary thanks for the reply when you measure your coach do you measure internal or external thanks for the link these floor plans will be a great help thanks mike
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The number I gave is external, called the "overall length". It's in the brochure specs for those coaches.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #7

I thought European regulations required coaches to not exceed 8' in width. The AC's have been 8 1/2' wide for several years now. I know my '03 is, as was my '99.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Mikeissy, I think you would enjoy any of the Amarican Coach Products, They all are very well made. Some may have a few more bells & WH than others but any of them are above the average. Jim
jimandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #9

My input is based on 2 years of owning a 98 American Eagle.

Pluses:

-Independent front suspension gives you excellent handling. You will not feel the bow wave of lorries or buses. An absolute pleasure to drive.

-Cummins 8.3 liter engine and the Allison 6 speed 3060 tranny are an excellent combination for smooth torque delivery, rpm control going up steep grades and speed control coming down steep grades

-Large tankage- 150 gallons fuel, 100 gallons fresh water, 60 gray and 40 black (all U.S. gallons). 40 Gallon Propane Tank

-Very well thought out, everything is one big easy button

-redundant heating and cooling units

-very good thermal and acoustical insulation

-excellent fit/finish to all cabinets with first class hardware

-excellent electrical system using first quality components with well labeled circuit breaker and fuse panels

-pantograph cargo doors (like the cargo doors on commercial coaches in your country) combined with slide out trays make loading and un-loading very easy

-good cargo carrying capacity and towing capacity

Minuses:

-Honestly have not found any yet. 18K miles so far with no issues except for replacing a few light bulbs, replacing the magnetic switch on the step, refrigerator flue cleaning and replacing one of the Fantastic Fan motors.

Having said all of the above, this is really an older coach and does not have the full slide that you are looking for and even the 98 is 8' 6" in width so American Eagles may not be candidates for UK use.

Good luck on your search!

Dave
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote